Saw Recomendation needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnbear

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in need of a really small light saw to drag through the woods with me for doing some TSI work and trail maintenance and grape vine cutting on my SE Ohio property. I always used my 028WB before but it is a little heavy and I could get away with a 12" bar for 95% of this work. What are your opinions of the Stihl 009 and 011 saws? They seem to fit the bill but I've never actually run or owned one. Is there another small saw I should be looking at?
Finnbear

MS200 (not 200T), or Husky 336 if the Stihl is too expensive.

Both are very light rear-handle saws with about 35 cc engines.

MS180 with PMN chain may also be an option if money is really tight.

If you can find a nice used 011AV at a good price, you would likely be quite happy with it for the sort of use you're intending. They are solid little saws for homeowner/landowner use and I've always been pleased with mine, so long as I didn't ask it to do something it wasn't intended to do.

Similarly, used small-frame Echo saws are good choices, too. Very reliable, powerful enough for small stuff, and relatively inexpensive even when purchased new. Think about the 300/301/3000/341/3400/etc top handles, or their rear-handle equivilents. The 3000 that I have has seen a tremendous amount of work and just keeps going, and it was purchased as a $90 refurb model from Home Depot years ago.

In the realm of newer saws, Stihl's 180 is a good choice, as are the smaller Echos like the 346. Not sure if you can justify the cost of SawTroll's suggestions, but if you can then those are very good choices worth considering, too.

The 200T is a top-handle saw, meant for use by climbers. It is not very suitable - some would say it is downright dangerous - for work on the ground.

SawTroll said:
The 200T is a top-handle saw, meant for use by climbers. It is not very suitable - some would say it is downright dangerous - for work on the ground.

Very true and well said my friend. Beyond danger, the placement of the handles being so close is also hard on your wrists when using on the ground. It's not meant for that.

Jeff

Finnbear said:
These all seem to be new models. How about good used saws?
Finnbear

Instead of an 009 or 011 (clunky... and old - some later 009 are o.k.), buy a new MS180 - list for $199. Light, works great etc etc

Finnbear said:
These all seem to be new models. How about good used saws?
Finnbear
I just purchased 011 stihl off of ebay.. for 150$.. thats all its gonna get used for.. trimmin and smaller branches..cant tell ya if its good or not.. cause it wont be at my place till the 24th this week. But i didnt want to invest in a new saw couse of cost issue.. and i would rather read up on forums to see on reliabilty.. parts avaibility.. a new saw right off the shelf.. not as much info on it from consumers like a older tried and true used 1
heres the page the saw pics are on.. wouldnt letme upload any on this page
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31075

wouldnt know bout the color scheems.. but that loks like a nice saw Glad to see its not a top handle.. my opinion.. ask the seller every question imaginable.. how much has it been ran ..how long at a time.. what type of fuel.. what type of chain and bar is on it..ASK him to do a compression test on the cylinder. I see on his other listings he has 1 with a compression test.. might be wise to find out 1st, Ask if he would be willing to throw in a chain guard? Maybe a file or adjusting wrench.. if he has them. The more info the seller informs you ,and is willing to type more then 10 words to describe it is alot more reashurring then being told.. "it starts and runs nice and idles down good but i havent cut no wood with it" If the seller wants this saw to sell at a good price he would describe any possible details about the saw. And to me good comunication is the thing for repeat business. As for the price.. look at what it would cost new.. i would be lookin at around half price for that saw for a maximum bid.. but dont exceed it you own set price.. and the 20.00 S&H Thier will always be others out thier rdy for the picking

I just purchased this saw to replace my jonsered52e
Husqvarna 51
Seller said he put in a new ring and piston.. cant wait to get it to check it out
235$ with S&H

I WOULD ALSO like to add.. something bout communication with the sellers.. i just asked a seller a question about Husqvarna logging chaps. How many layers? are they adjustable? Only respawnce i got was "check out the husky site" Well not gonna be looking at that sellers stuff anymore.. Sure i could went to the website.. but why not ask.. see if they know thier product

Last edited:
crashagn said:
I WOULD ALSO like to add.. something bout communication with the sellers.. i just asked a seller a question about Husqvarna logging chaps. How many layers? are they adjustable? Only respawnce i got was "check out the husky site" Well not gonna be looking at that sellers stuff anymore.. Sure i could went to the website.. but why not ask.. see if they know thier product

.....that's just nuts. most of my buying is for re-sale. i count on the bidders to know what they're looking for, and try to describe it to the best of my ability.

.....some of my auctions close at terribly low prices, that's business.
.....others go ridiculously high.

Last edited:
crashagn said:
HTML:
You were buying chaps, not nuclear grade plutonium. Chaps are a common off-the-shelf item. What the heck does it matter if the buyer knows his chaps? Do you realize how much time is wasted on tire-kickers for stupid questions? Also, please run spell check before you post.

spacemule said:
You were buying chaps, not nuclear grade plutonium. Chaps are a common off-the-shelf item. What the heck does it matter if the buyer knows his chaps? Do you realize how much time is wasted on tire-kickers for stupid questions? Also, please run spell check before you post.

The seller should have at least a bit of knowledge on the item.. even if it is well known.. at least how many layers of whatever is in them. My opinion it would be better to to describe them for communication to have a better sale.. Instead i asked another about the reserve.. told him he didn't have to respond on my email if he choose.. and he replied.. so i bidded on them. So what if im a "tire Kicker" i would just like to have a reassurance to know that buyer is interested in what he is selling

My day job is in sales and my biggest pet peeve is when I go to buy something and have a question or two and find out that I know far more about the item I'm buying than the salesperson does. It is especially irritating when a salescritter tries to BS their way through a sale to cover their lack of knowlege. That drives me almost insane to the point my wife won't go to buy anything with me. I'd much rather have someone tell me flat out "I don't know the answer but I'll find out/ask someone who does...etc." I have a lot more respect for someone like that than one who goes the "baffle 'em with bull$#!+" route. If you are going to sell something for a living then you ought to educate yourself about your products or find a new profession.
Finnbear

I'll play devils advocate. Go with the 200T if your not scared of the price. The ones here saying the top handle is way to dangerous are the same ones that will tell you to NEVER take your training wheels off. It is a awesome saw and will last you many years. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Rotax Robert

Finnbear said:
I'm in need of a really small light saw to drag through the woods with me for doing some TSI work and trail maintenance and grape vine cutting on my SE Ohio property. I always used my 028WB before but it is a little heavy and I could get away with a 12" bar for 95% of this work. What are your opinions of the Stihl 009 and 011 saws? They seem to fit the bill but I've never actually run or owned one. Is there another small saw I should be looking at?
Finnbear
The 028 is a nice light saw, sounds like you should get a good sharp axe if its too heavy, I bought a new Arvika on sale for $80, should do you fine.

Latest posts

Back