Saw recommendation for a rookie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keith c raymond said:
If you want a good used large saw ,see my thread in used equipment

Thanks, Keith, but I think that's too much saw for my present needs. Looks like a great deal, but too much saw & money right now. I just can't find a way to justify it.

:cry:

BlueRidgeMark said:
I've been looking at that on eBay. Your thread on it had me confused for a while - that Homelite got into the discussion and I missed the fact that TWO saws were being talked about. :dizzy:

So, if I understand it correctly, the Jred has the bar & chain, needs some mounts, maybe a carb kit, a sprocket, fits my pocket very nicely, and is serious overkill for my needs? :D

As someone mentioned, overkill can be a GOOD thing!
Well, if you want it, I'm willing to let it go for a reasonable price, jsut PM me, and we can discuss it.

since you've got the 50cc covered, anther vote for the Stihl 034 super. tuff as nails.

Husky 365 is good too, as everyone is already saying. most any 60cc range husky or stihl will do an excellent job for firewood duties.

460 would be sweet but may be out of your budget.

check out your local pawn shops from time to time. you can find some real deals, just can't get in a hurry going that route.

046 said:
check out your local pawn shops from time to time.

Been there, done that, got burned. Would run for him, wouldn't run for me. It's unlikely a saw in a pawnshop has been properly mantained.

Also stay away from the Poulan 1250. Apparently they've had a bad run of them.

rookie saw

You are going about buying a saw all wrong if you are using the cheap on the wallet today, won't last through the next two seasons routine. If you have to buy a new saw every other year or so (reads: My wallet was thin so I went cheap) it would be cheaper to buy the husky 353 and have a saw you won't have to replace for years. It has the balls to do the work without complaining year after year. Short term (cheap) is not the way to go if you are going to be heating with wood. Every time you use the "My wallet was thin" cheap saw, it will remind you should have bought the NEW husky. Whereas the husky 353 will say, "That was fun let's cut some more and can we tackle a bigger tree this time?" Cheap feels good on the wallet today but will run the wallet ragged in the long haul with the fix me'$ and replace me'$. Have the wallet do a power lift today and get the NEW husky before the cheap saw has you doing a heap of reps lifting the wallet out of your pocket to feed the fix me'$ and replace me'$ routine. It's not about being cheap, it's all about getting the best bang for the bucks you do spend.

That's a very good point. If you buy one good thing, you only need to buy it once. You take care of that one good thing and it'll last you a long time.

My wife and I went through this with her shoes. She'd get these crappy fake leather things and end up replacing them in a month or two. I finally got her convinced that the extra money spent now saves in the long run. I have yet to see her wear out a pair of shoes since.

Not that shoes and saws have a d@mn thing in common, but the underlying message is the same. ;)

TrogL said:
Been there, done that, got burned. Would run for him, wouldn't run for me. It's unlikely a saw in a pawnshop has been properly mantained.

that's the risk of buying any used saw. always specify right to return within 24 hours for cash refund. that allows you to get saw home for a real checkup. take compression, yank muffler off to check for scratches etc.

if they won't do that, don't buy.. at least that's what I do.

Why not buy a good used saw from a regular member here. Lots of people have and have posted after how happy they were with their purchase.

You will probably get lots more power & performance for your dollar, however it won't be a brand new saw.

That sounds like good advice Lobo. In fact, I'm looking real hard at two of them right now. A certain overkill Jred 70, and an 031. :D

Anybody think 48ccs is too light?

BTW, Lobo, I agree completely with your sig!

Yea, I think 48cc in on the light side if this is to be your biggest saw. I recently purchased a Stihl MS 260 Pro from a pawn shop for $160 out the door with very little time on it which at 49cc I would consider the minimum and only then because its a higher performing pro line saw. On this one, the motor runs great but saw cuts terrible because of the chain/bar setup, hopefully that's all that's wrong with it.

I agree with someone above that recommended the Husky 359. That w/ 20" bar sounds like first choice based on what you've said. A Stihl 390 (mid line saw) in good shape would also serve you well, the Stihl 361 would be great but is a high price pro saw.

Others which come to mind and may work well for you are the Solo 651, Husky 55, 353, 365. The 55 at about 53 cc has been around a long time, my son has one for firewood and it works well with a 16 or 18" bar, dated technology, high end homeowner compared to Poulans and may be found at a good price. I agree the Shin 488 is a candidate although the used one I've run does not have impressive power. I also hear that the Redmax 5000 is a good 50cc saw.

Personally, I'd look for a good deal on a Stihl MS440, Husky 372, or Jonsered 2171 and then it'd be done. With over 5 HP out of a 70 cc 13 1/2 lb powerhead, the only way you'd be looking for more is because your work scope has greatly expanded or you just want to collect 'em like some of us.

Blueridge Mark, where are you in virginia? I would go with a ms361 or an ms310 or ms390 if you are a stihl fan or a husky 357xp, 359, 362,365 or the 372 with the best all around being the 357xp or the 359 running 16'' to 20'' bars.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Greetings, gentlemen and other critters!

Thanks to all who contribute to this site. I’ve learned a lot just by reading the threads. I know the question of “which saw should I buy” has been asked before, and I’ve read those threads, but I’m going to ask it again.

Just because you enjoy answering it! :D

I’m a rookie at chain saws. I’ve had a Craftsman of unknown engine size. 18” bar. With that I felled about 2 dozen trees, mostly alanthus (yech!) with some pine, a mulberry, and an odd hardwood with beautiful, dense, olive colored wood. Wish I could have made some lumber out of that. That was in a city back yard, tight quarters, and most of those trees were 30 to 60 feet (a couple lightly brushed the opposite fence when they went down), maybe 5” to 12” DBH. The hardwood went 14”. All fell where I wanted them, so going slowly and carefully paid off.

Anyway, I bucked all that, trimmed a lot of limbs above ground. I also carved a 36” pine round, about 14” thick, into a planter. That was fun. That’s about my experience level. Not exactly a pro, here, but I know I enjoy cutting wood. :laugh:

I’m now the happy owner of some country land, and I have a woodstove as my primary source of heat, so I’ll be cutting some firewood. Something like 10 to 15 cords per year, I think. I also have about a dozen trees that need to come down soon. Mostly pine, similar in size to what’s described above. I have one that might go 16”. That's about the upper limit for my property, but I may get into bigger stuff elsewhere. I have an offer of a dead oak tree for the taking, and some other land to be cleared of unknown size stuff.

Since I hate cheap tools and I’m broke, I know I probably want a good used pro saw used rather than a new homeowner saw, and I know I probably want Husky, Stihl, or Jonsered. Perhaps an Echo. I’m open to other suggestions. Local dealers are not close – don’t know if any of them are worth a plugged nickel or not, so I’m not sure that dealer support is a deciding factor.

Here’s my biggest question:

How big a saw do I need?

I don’t want to beat a small saw to death – but I don’t have to have a magnum momma just to impress people. What size is appropriate? Something in the 40 cc range? I see the Echo 440s on eBay for good prices all the time, but is it enough saw or do I need to move up into the 353 or 359 class? That Jonsered 2152 sure looks pretty, but it’s not cheap, either.

I just bought an echo 3450 on eBay for next to nothing, so I’m covered for light limbing duty. Assuming it turns out to be functional, of course! :D I haven’t got it yet.

Well, folks, what do you think?
What's the biggest wood you will cut? How much money do you want to spend?

If you plan on cutting ten to fifteen cords a year chances are you'll end up cutting trees a lot larger than 16". Go with a larger saw like the the Husky 359, you'll thank yourself later. Also, cutting that much firewood you'll probably find you need two saws. Get a small one to clean up the brushy stuff and get you out of the occasional bind.

I haven't cut wood professionally since I was a kid, but I do cut fifteen to twenty cords of firewood a year, mostly standing, dead Pinon that is as nasty as it gets. I seldom get through a cord without getting my bar pinched in a branch and needing to be cut out.

Besides, with a bigger, faster saw you can get your wood cut up and have time to do some shooting. You have to have priorities.

Well now, I opened the door by posting some no-brainer, general BS response :D , and thus compelled the AS members who actually know something about chainsaws to offer some worthy advice . It works every time (well, maybe not every time) ;) . Let us know what you saws you're considerring, or what saw you decide on.

Good luck & be safe...Chris J.

Ryan Willock said:
Blueridge Mark, where are you in virginia?

Front Royal area, in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

Man I love this place! :blob2:

Keep talking, gents! I'm listening, and you're making sense to me. I've never found it paid to shortchange on tools, and where power is concerned, more is usually better.

How about two used good saws like something in the mid 40cc range and something in the 65-70 cc range?

Well..............
I really like the 034super(61cc)/064(85cc) for that job. Probably cutting 30-40 face cord a year. (two houses)

I keep seeing the 034 mentioned but dont forget a good used 036 as well, they are about the same.

Ryan Willock said:
Blueridge Mark, where are you in virginia? I would go with a ms361 or an ms310 or ms390 if you are a stihl fan or a husky 357xp, 359, 362,365 or the 372 with the best all around being the 357xp or the 359 running 16'' to 20'' bars.

Agreed, though the 361 and the 310/390 aren't really comparable, the 361 being a better professional grade saw and all. You mentioned that you'd be looking for a good used pro saw instead of a new homeowner saw. I think the 036 would be right up your alley. Even a good used 044 would do you well. Both are readily available in shops, pawn shops, the paper, and ebay. At least out here they are.

Let us know what you choose.
Jeff

Is there a good cross reference from the old style numbers (034, 26, etc.) to the newer Stihl numbers (290, 260, etc.) posted anywhere on the web?

Listening to you guys and looking at eBay gets cornfooozing! :dizzy:

How do I know which are pro saws and which are not?

Latest posts

Back