Saw(s) and gear storage ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK_XJ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It's a New Year so I'm (for the moment) committing to getting all three of my Stihl chainsaws up off the gravel floor off the barn and hanging securely so they're easily accessible and safe. I'd also like to put in some hanging hooks for chains that need sharpening and some sort of fold-down table / workbench for filing, tinkering, etc.

Anyone have any good tips before I embark on this endeavor? Pictures welcome. Also, I can't imagine a reason NOT to store the saws hanging bar-tip down but is there?

Pretty easy and simple with how I've got mine. Chains and other misc hangy stuff hangs on pegboards. I used to have my bench grinder and small vise on a black and decker work mate bench. Folds up easily and stows away well for the most part.

Keeping the bars hanging with tips down keeps them lubricated as the bar oil moves into the sprocket nose. Doesn't allow them to dry up. Make sure to clean out the bar groove before hanging

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_162919.jpg
    IMG_20210102_162919.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
Nice, good point about the lubrication of the tips...I was thinking of using hooks like you have done or a board with grooves cut in it.

That 500i is just beautiful, my local shop has one in as a show model but no others for sale currently...what are the other two?

Make plunge cuts into a board. Mount board like a shelf. Put saws in slots tip down. Works for me. Similar board idea also works on a quad or even a sxs.

ps, the board catches much of the gunk too, rather than have it run onto the floor or down the wall.

026 in the back and 036 in the middle. Each one of those black sheaths has an orange bar cover like the middle saw. Any gunk is caught by that and the saws are much easier to put into the black sheaths then instead of the chain catching on the fabric and tearing it up

I have this setup for the 8 saws I use the most. Poulan 3750, 3450, 044, HOMELITE 923, Dolmar 540, Husky 242 Special (not pictured) and an S25DA. I’m not crazy about it, but it does work and I’ll likely will be changing it. I have more PHO saws on a shelf over the doors and most of my inventory in the loft. It all needs attention D53F5DC0-5925-40D0-9530-7782797D514D.jpegA48B4A41-7FB5-4ED5-8CD9-D484B4AE2C89.jpeg58FDA149-1124-4740-8ACC-A848E1BC4D67.jpeg57C8B5AC-2EF1-412E-A44E-77DDECDF56FA.jpeg

I keep saws in cases in a locked steel cabinet but at my Dad's rural area metal barn full of treasures. Saws there we hide behind or under stuff.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Older picture, but still have the same general setup. I have since added some more hooks to hang my chains on that 2x4 between my 261 and 271 organized by size and sharp or dull. Normally I have my 462 hung up there where the Sugi bar is. The 044 has a comfy spot on the shelf to the right.

9649dac333ea954e9b127caa793ffa78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back