Building a chainsaw workshop - Ideas, Comments, Suggestions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that bench is so well finished and clean it looks more like a kitchen bench :big_smile:.....

Put casters on your workbench, a small space can function better if it is easily reconfigure able I put them on all my benches and they have worked out great, it makes cleaning and finding parts easier too when you can roll it out of your way.

Fine idea! While we're at it, how about a dishwasher too?

Sweet idea, can wash a load of bars and chains, or funnels, or, or, or, the possibilities are endless...when I build a shop with running water I want an old washer and dryer out there for shop rags...then the ol lady will quit screaming at me for getting her washer and dryer oily.

I ran 1/2 PVC from my compressor to air outlets around my shop makes it nice to just pop in at any point and get air. You can easy stick one through the wall and have a exterior port which is nice. I ran two GFCI electrical plugs as one covers the exterior plug out back and the other covers all the rest.
I installed two smoke alarms which I set off all the time with my big Mac's:D...but a must indeed!!
I do a lot of restoration here so I built a spray booth it's small but so are the parts that get painted works well.
My shop has WiFi makes taking photos and uploading easy for customers or friends right there.

I have a dishwasher in my shop but frankly speaking, I think they are overrated. I have better success with my parts washer tank and a brush. On a rare occasion I will have to resort to some purple cleaner for a really bad fuel tank, but the diswasher is most for storage of parts that didn't get clean so they are waiting for a trip through the parts washer tank.

If someone wanted to come pick it up, I'd gladly help load it then make another portable work bench to put in its place to hold the oil bottles, fuel cans, and other miscellaneous stuff that collects on the dishwasher now.

Mark

I ran 1/2 PVC from my compressor to air outlets around my shop makes it nice to just pop in at any point and get air. You can easy stick one through the wall and have a exterior port which is nice. I ran two GFCI electrical plugs as one covers the exterior plug out back and the other covers all the rest.
I installed two smoke alarms which I set off all the time with my big Mac's:D...but a must indeed!!
I do a lot of restoration here so I built a spray booth it's small but so are the parts that get painted works well.
My shop has WiFi makes taking photos and uploading easy for customers or friends right there.

On a farm forum I frequent, you'd be stoned to death, revived, and stoned again for using PVC. It has a nasty habit of sending shards of plastic flying throughout the shop if it breaks. I'll go with sch40 steel pipe in mine.

On a farm forum I frequent, you'd be stoned to death, revived, and stoned again for using PVC. It has a nasty habit of sending shards of plastic flying throughout the shop if it breaks. I'll go with sch40 steel pipe in mine.

you sure means PVC? maybe its poly or some EPM type pipe,
steel for air line is a bit old world in this part of the land, most use a poly or EPM simuler type high pressure air line, you would need a very big aircompresser to blow that stuff, most likley just pop a connection off rather then blow the pipe,

My advise, It's not near big enough. I thought my 24'X32' shop would have plenty of room. I had it crammed full in two weeks. Built a lean-to on the side of it, it's crammed full. I to bought an old farm house complete with an old smoke house, it to is crammed full. Build it bigger my friend. You have been warned. LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

you sure means PVC? maybe its poly or some EPM type pipe,
steel for air line is a bit old world in this part of the land, most use a poly or EPM simuler type high pressure air line, you would need a very big aircompresser to blow that stuff, most likley just pop a connection off rather then blow the pipe,

I'll stick with steel. It may be "antiquated", but it's reasonable priced, fairly easy to work with, and bulletproof.

My advise, It's not near big enough. I thought my 24'X32' shop would have plenty of room. I had it crammed full in two weeks. Built a lean-to on the side of it, it's crammed full. I to bought an old farm house complete with an old smoke house, it to is crammed full. Build it bigger my friend. You have been warned. LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

I'd love to, and a full blown farm shop is a couple years down the road. That one will get the build it bigger than you think you'll ever need treatment. This one is gonna be just a cozy little workshop, where all my tools can be under one roof, all my work saw gear is in one place, and there's some room to show off some of my old stuff. Project saws not being worked on yet and things like that can stay in the old granary, shed, or garage till I'm ready to work on them. Besides, a smaller area forces a guy like me with "flat surface syndrome" to stay more organized. (FSS- the uncanny ability to cover any flat surface with bits, pieces, and other junk that shouldn't be there)

Staying with the small and simple means there will NOT be running water in this shop. Between compressed air, the parts washer and the ultrasonic, I should be able to clean most anything without water. If needed, there's a hydrant not far away.

That is because PVC and CPVC is only as good as the glue joints. Steel is much better and that is the way it is done in industry

I have no less than 40 steel filing cabinets in my shop. I use them for tool storage, hardware storage, parts storage, storing cans of aerosols, etc.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I hope those are all good HON brand cabinets:msp_smile: I hope you do not have any of the cheap Allsteel made up the street

On those lights, you may want to get some that work in the cold weather. The flourescent lights in my shed does not come on if it is below 25'F. My shed has no heat so I use regular drop or spot lights when it gets that cold.

there is such a thing as pressure rated PVC guys. What we normally see is drainage rated plastic pipe but they make thick wall PVC in different pressure ratings. The joints when glued are stronger than straight sections of pipe. I worked in a fab shop once that had the whole shop plumbed for 150 PSI air with this stuff. It works fine. Nothing blew up :)

On those lights, you may want to get some that work in the cold weather. The flourescent lights in my shed does not come on if it is below 25'F. My shed has no heat so I use regular drop or spot lights when it gets that cold.

I have the same problem with the, old style, larger diameter flourestents not coming on in 40-50f temps. A sparky friend suggested the newer 1" diameter tubes to fix the cold weather problem. Anybody using the NEWER 1" diameter tubes in cold weather??
THANKS

1/2 is rated at 850psi at no point does anyone need that much pressure in a saw shop and never has any pieces of PVC worked it's way through the air system or blown apart who knows what apps you folks are doing in the Farm Forum but 1/2 thick wall works great in my shop max pressure I use is 100psi. Stay safe in that Farm Forum..ye ye ye ye LIVE ACTION:laugh:

Any of the "HO" flourescent lamps will come on in very cold conditions but you cannot simply change the lamps, the ballast and fixtures (sockets) are different as well.

I recenly bought a couple of boxes of the 8' lamps, by the box there were around $5.50 each if I recall. Individually they were $6.70 from memory. Just make sure when you install them that the lamp is fully seated in the fixures and making good contact, otherwise you will let the smoke out of them and then they are no good.

Mark

pvc is no no for air!

Regarding PVC, it is specifically prohibited for use as air line. The pressure rating and strength of glue joints aren't the issue. The problem is that air typically contains oil and that along with the pvc creates a situation where the pvc can "explode" and send shrapnel everywhere. In your own personal shop at home, if you use pvc it is not likely anyone would gig you on it. It wouldn't make it safe, it would just be unlikely to be a legal issue. If pvc is used for air anywhere that OSHA might inspect or have jurisdiction over, I am pretty sure the fines and penalties would far outweigh the cost savings and ease of installation that pvc provides. Black pipe is the standard for air lines and there are other types of approved lines. I personally use air hose to plumb my drops. It isn't as cheap as pvc but is easy to run anywhere and way simpler to install than pipe (which I have also used in the past). I would strongly discourage anyone from using pvc for air that isn't buried underground. Just because something "works" doesn't make it safe and pvc for air is an application that has been determined to be "unsafe".

What no crapper? To bad you werent closer Steve,Ive got a woodburner and a small fridge that would go nicely in there.

Back