Saw selection help on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downlowgrinding

Reaction score
Resource for used pro-saws/suggestions on model to replace my 372xp for as cheap as possible.
Hello, I am new to the forum but have read posts and related information from this site for years. I am in the slow process of getting my grinding business back going after a VERY bad and unfortunate set of circumstances which started with a divorce and the majority of my equipment being stolen from a storage unit after I lost my shop in the divorce. That being said, I have a couple of my small saws but am trying to find another Husquvarna 372xp or similar for my larger work. My previous one was a great saw, literally the best I have ever run which I purchased for $200 and rebuilt (it was in non running condition at time of purchase). I am experienced in machining work and engine rebuilding and prefer to go this route again but I cant find a saw... not for a reasonable price at least. I obviously want only pre-epa restricted saws as I hear that the new ones have suffered a power loss due to restrictions to exhaust emission controls. I am open to other saws but the 372 is the only modern "large" saw I ever owned other than an ancient Poulan and an ancient Homelite of my grandfathers which neither are able to reliably do what I need.
ps. I need to pull a 36" bar with this saw and occasionally may use it with a smaller bar. As you probably understand I am looking to purchase a non-running saw for a reasonable price ($200ish) and rebuild as I have had good luck in the past with this and have found it possible to know that the job was done right rather than guessing on someone elses work.

Recommended bar length for the 372XP is 28" based on their web site. Most people on this forum would recommend a 90cc saw at least to pull 36".

Good luck on your search. I wish small engine repair was something I took the time to learn back in my high school years instead of trying to get good grades.

I'm near Sylva, about 30 min north of Franklin on 441. As for the 395, I may go that route, I guess it just depends on the deal. One of my buddies with a tree service back in GA used to say the same but I never had any trouble with the 372 unless I let it get dull on a big stump (damn sure easy to do). I realize now after posting this there is a for sale section on here. Going to look at a saw in the morning depending on how it goes, I may start looking for a 394/5. Any particular "gotchas" or years to avoid on the 395?

Latest posts

Back