Saw setup for milling: Oil%/H screw setting/Rev limiters/Non-Adj. Carbs...ETC.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John J.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just like the title of this thread reads let's hear your opinion on how you tune or adjust a saw for milling. I recently purchased a 1320xp for milling I'm sure it has a limiting coil and non adjustable carb but being a novice I'm sure I'll be okay with it stock for "a while". Can I up the oil in the mix 40:1 or richer for some medium duty milling with stock carb adjustments? Should I replace the carb with an adjustable or get a drilled jet? Who's the man if I wanted a new unlimited coil installed? Or is it relatively straight forward? (being moderately mechanically inclined)

Also is it possible to richen up the H screw on a new broken in MS391 w/o having to do the full L/Idle adjustments? Or do you need to tune in the standard procedure?

There's no need to mess with a 3120 for milling. I wouldn't even change the oil/gas ratio as a first up. The H-setting is well within the range needed for milling
Before diddling the engine concentrate on getting your chain sharpening technique (do you know about progressive raker setting?) and all the 101 fiddly things that produce efficient and more comfortable milling.
If you want to put your technical efforts into something consider things like remote throttle, redesigning the mill, so its more ergonomic etc.
Once these are under control then consider what might be worth doing.

Not my saw but it ran like champion straight out of the box.
reddust.jpg

What's progressive raker setting? Taking down the depth gauge as you file away the cutter because it's height also shortens? I've hand filed my chains and they cut very close to new out of the box so I think I'm doing well. I'd indulge in the comforts of milling as long as my saw and engine are well lubricated/tuned #1

What's progressive raker setting? Taking down the depth gauge as you file away the cutter because it's height also shortens?
Yes, but its done on new chains to suit the cutting conditions and the saw being used.
Progressive raker setting is discussed in detail in the Hotsaws-Chain sharpening forum - look for the sticky at the top of that forum.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/chain-sharpening.74/
Unfortunately a lot of the pictures have been lost.
Even though it's in the hot saws forum the principle applies across the board and nowhere more so than in milling.
Have read of what the folks using it say - once the try it, they're hooked.
Also read through the Milling 101 sticky in this forum - I reinserted a number pics related to this topic back into the thread.

I've hand filed my chains and they cut very close to new out of the box so I think I'm doing well.
Chains out of the box are set up for middle of the road operations,
If its done right the chains will Mill faster than "new out of the box" right up to where the cutters are so short they break off.

I'd indulge in the comforts of milling as long as my saw and engine are well lubricated/tuned #1
Sure but 3120's are good to go milling straight out of the box and following the manufacturers settings - I'm referring to doing more than this.
The most useful thing to do engine wise is probably a mild muffler mod which I believe can be done on a 3120 without re-jetting.

Thanks for the excellent reply BobL looks like I have some reading to do.

Back