“New” MS661 non-Mtronic vs MS661C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warm it up until the exhaust feels hot to your hand coming out of the muffler, I do this before I cut with a 65+ year old saw or a brand new unit. New oem cylinders are cast then bored to a spec id then the bore is plated and then bored again to the final id then crosshatched/deburred and finally some have a protective coating I assume is for initial startup being some form of moly or graphite that melts off after start up. Warm it up then work it hard, let it idle a few minutes after working it hard to allow the flywheel fan to bring engine temps back down.
What I see killing saw pistons and cylinders is air leaks, lack of air and fuel filtration and over heating often from cylinder fins being packed with sawdust mixed with bar oil or unburnt 2 cycle oil or simply not knowing their running the saw lean from poor carb adjustment. The piston tells the truth.
When you see folks talking about ring seating it can take a few hours of fully loading the saw up cutting to fully wear mate the rings to the cylinder walls for maximum sealing, when folks simply toss new rings into a used cylinder without performing a deglazing it can take 4-5 times longer for the rings leading edges to wear mate into the cylinder wall because it is very smooth, the nikacil or chrome cylinder wall is much harder than the cast iron rings so eventually the rings will wear mate to it creating a better and better seal.

I have been having to special order rhe non m tronic saws lately. I despise everyone of my m tronic saws. The low idle solenoid has gone out on everyone of them. Not a huge deal if you don't mind ordering one, paying $50 dollars for it, going back and picking it up then installing it. I prefer to adjust the carb myself. Been doing it that way for over 30 years, it's free and only takes about 10 seconds. I've had countless troubles out of the m tronic. Basically zero trouble out of the carb saws when maintained properly.

guys why are people wanting the M-tronic 661 anyway it's just more expensive to repair if something goes wrong. I just bought a new Non M-tronic 661 with the 2 file sharpener, a gallon of bar oil, and a six pack of 2.5 gallon hp Ulta mix oil and 12 files for that sharpener for $1,200

guys why are people wanting the M-tronic 661 anyway it's just more expensive to repair if something goes wrong. I just bought a new Non M-tronic 661 with the 2 file sharpener, a gallon of bar oil, and a six pack of 2.5 gallon hp Ulta mix oil and 12 files for that sharpener for $1,200
What State?

Back