Saw sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I take it that the file o plate does'nt work all that great,I'm not looking for the slowest cutting chain,but I'am looking for the fastest cutting one,I'm just looking for some ways to get better at free hand filing,do you guy's got any pointers on free hand filing???

Later Rob..

guide

I think the best guide for the money is the kind that clamps directly on the file. Angles on top, and it keeps you from going to far into the tooth. Get a depth guage and raker file and you are all set.
I haven't seen any one tool does all that works that well. Simple is still the best for the money IMHO.

Hey Rob, if you want your chain to cut faster, the first thing you want to do is replace all those cutters that are missing in the skip chain you run, then tickle each tooth before you cut. You are cutting primarily hardwoods aren`t you? I haven`t seen any advantage to running full skip vs full comp on the 34" bar I use on the 385 when I`m making bar buried cuts. Full comp is even faster when you are cutting anything less than bar buried. Cutting more resinous softwoods, where chip clearance becomes an issue, is where skip chain works better. The File-O-Plate works very nicely for lowering the rakers properly on Carlton chain, but it is otherwise cumbersome to use. The Husky depth gauge tool will work very well for the chain you are running. Getting the depth gauges properly lowered relative to each tooth will make your chain cut faster. Practice will make you a good filer without need of any aide unless you have Parkinson`s or something that causes excessive uncontrollable movement. I like to use a saw vise or a kerf cut in a log to secure the bar tip, then I steady my left hand against the bar by placing the heel of my hand on the bar with the fingertips up against the bar while holding the tip of the file. My right hand, being my dominant hand, is free to move as it pleases so to speak, but it is actually quite well braced by the left hand. Now I just take steady, moderately light strokes with the file, keeping my left hand grounded on the bar, letting my finger tips move to allow "slack" enough to file. I generally stand on opposite sides of the saw to get both sides. Hope this helps. Russ

Thanks Russ I appreciate the informative info,I use both full comp and skip your right it depends on what I'm cutting I always use full comp 72LG when cutting hardwood,and skip in the big pines for chip clearance reasons,I thought you would say practice,practice,practice to become a good free hand filer I have been praticing on junk chains I'am getting better and better so hopefully soon I'll become a pro at it..Before I started practicing I would run about 3-4 stokes and go try it,it would only last for fallin,and bucking 3-4 tree's so I guess you could say I sucked at it,but now I do the 3-4 srokes and I can atleast make a tank full of fuel before it needs another quickie...How do you like your 385?very good saw I think....

Thanks Rob...

Rob, don't really know how to describe my method but if i come up i'll show you. it works very well for me, i give each cutter 2-3 strokes every tank of fuel, although i could go and have gone 3 tanks before (faily dull by #3) i sharpend it. i prefer to "touch-up" a sharp chain than have to work on a dull one. i use stihl files cause for me i find they do a better job than the oregon files. the dealers around here don't carry other brands so i can't comment on them. i usually get about 3-4 sharpings out of a file before i pitch it, i like a SHARP file. if i rock out a chain then obviously i won't get that many uses out of the file before its too dull.
just my two cents (CDN) worth:D :angel:

Ryan,

I agree with you on that I prefer the double cut Stihl files also they seem to work the best for me...I also rather tickle a sharp chain than a very dull one much easier...

Later Rob.....

very defiantly. just give it a tickle every time you fuel up and it'll do just fine. i file free hand and lower my rakers every fourth sharping.

Does the double cut Stihl file really make that much of a difference and how.

I like them because they tend too last longer for me anyways and I like the double cut less strokes faster results in my opinion..

Later Rob.......

i have to agree with Rob, they make a BIG differance, to me anyway:angel:

Ok guy's I have a somewhat easy question on a chain like a 72LG full chisel do you tip the file handle down 10*? or do you tilt the file handle up 10* ?I always thought that you tilted the handle down,but I had one of my logging buddies helpin me out yesterday for a few hours and I noticed him filing the chain with the handle tilted up filing downwards whats up with that?Whats the reason am I missing something here or what??

Later Rob....

Hi Rob, It depends on your perspective. If you are filing in the correct direction, inside to outside, the handle is tipped down. If your buddy was filing contrary to this, how did his chains cut? Russ

Russ,

He was filing the correct way inside to outside but instead of tilting the handle down he was tilting it up.I could'nt understand why he was doing this but he said someone showed him years ago to do it like that it did'nt seem to affect the cutting aspect.I just have'nt seen anyone else do that before in my life I was wondering if any of you have done this or seen it done??Someone posted some pics of filing and I believe they were doing the same thing now that I think of it..

Later Rob...

The chain did'nt seem to hold a edge for very long it did dull fairly quick,and no the chain was tensioned properly he was just filing down the tooth...I just don't know why he does that..

Later Rob,....

Hello
Im really enjoying some of these threads and pics. Lots of good info and BS. Reading this thread I am wondering how you guys file or grind chisel bit chain (square filing). Every one that I have seen do it and the way that I was taught is outside to inside. Another way to put it is if filing in the woods the power head is away from you and the bar nose toward you. I know this is opposite from the most common way of round filing,but it is a lot easier to see the corner.

Inside out or Outside in?

John; I looked at filing the way you describe and do believe it is easier to see the corner. I found more difficulty keeping the proper hook in the sideplate and found that is easier to see from the more conventional position when you have the saw in a chain vise. That is what I am continuing on for now. Filing down and back might have less tendency to lift the tooth up and lean it over when you are filing on the saw though. File life is supposed to be better whin coming up under the crome than when filing into it. File life has not been terrific though my way as I sometimes don't get very good pressure on and do some back dragging occasionally I guess. Are you square filing any amount or just looking at it.

Frank

Latest posts

Back