Saw sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure that there have been many threads about how to sharpen a saw. I am new and am looking for information on using an electrical grinder to sharpen a saw.

Thanks,

Hal Dudley
Killeen, Texas

Um, you need to be more specific. Perhaps you might want to read some of the current threads already on that topic, then ask more specific questions. ;)

look about a month back. i think there was a pretty good thread on this.
also madsons ,i believe has an excellent pg on sharpening , and the various aspects of it.

I had an awakening experience yesterday while cleaning up the gullets on a 20" 73LG chain that is filed back to within about 1/8" of the witness marks. Some of you guys will likely say "no sh1t sherlock", but for the rest of you this might be helpful. I was doing the clean up on a grinder with the head layed over at 50° and the vise angled to 25° like I would be if grinding, and instead of just grinding the bottom of the gullet flat like normal, I ground the gullet concave as if I were going to dogbone the tooth. After grinding the gullets I gave the chain a quick hand filing and went out and layed into some bigger( ~ 30") maple and layed into it. This chain sucked down into the wood like I`ve never seen before on this saw, G357xp, it was pretty amazing to me. So is anyone else doing this when they sharpen? I always thought dogboning the chain was to reduce weight, but there is a tremendous benefit in chip removal I`d say. I didn`t get time to try this on any other chains today to see if it is duplicated but I`m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Russ

sharpening

Dogboning in my experience usually comes from using a round chain grinder that has a grinding wheel that's nosed over. Then the gullet is ground way far back under the top plate. This does seem to help chip deflection in hardwoods. If you dogbone a tooth with a grinder, then touch it up with a round file for a couple strokes and you'll see impressive cutting action even though the tooth won't stay as sharp for as long. It's sort of like making the top plate angle on a square ground chain too shallow. Cuts nice for a while but gets dull quickly.

Do any of you guy's that run round ground full chisel chains have any tips on how to make them cut faster than they do out of the box?Hand filing tips of course....

Later Rob...

What do you guy's think about this Carlton File-o-plate,how does it work for you???I have been thinking about buying one when I order a few loop's of carlton A1LM chain..I just recieved Carltons full product catalog with all the bar and chain app's for all the saw's,plus filing tips etc...

Later Rob..

Rob,

I like the file o plate concept idea etc. I looks to me as one of the best concepts for hand filing.

Wished it could be used to file Stihl RS chain. :rolleyes:

Rob you want the slowest chain on the market buy it, learn for yourself, fileolplate good to look at bout all.

Carlton's chain is fine; the file-o-plate isn't.

It will help maintain angles, maintain rakers, etc. but it's slow. You have to pick it up and put it back down to file every cutter.

I think they used to hand 'em out free with new chain.

Eyolf,

Many thanks for the good info on the file o plate.

Latest posts

Back