saw shopping -- whats a good price on stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc4

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new saw. I prefer stihl because that's what I've always had, and the local dealer is OK and close by. I am looking for somthing in the 361 to 460 range. Since stihl does not sell online, its hard to get a feeling for what a fair price is. What's the "real" price that these models going for in your area? I am particularly interested if somone knows a stihl dealer with good prices in the Western NY area.

My dealer had a poster with the retail prices listed -- I have not talked to the salesman and tried to work him down yet. The retail priecs were:

361 - $559 w/ 16''
440 - $689 w/ 16''
460 - $789 w/ 20''

baileys has comparable Husky saws for quite a bit less. Are the stihl retail prices inflated, or should I consider switching to Husky?

Thanks.

I am not too interested in used saws on ebay -- people on ebay, it seems, are paying too much for some well-used saws.

Those prices look pretty good to me. As far as the Huskys in Bailey's, you do know that those prices are usually for the powerhead only-you still have to buy the bar and chain as well. Stihls do usually run a bit more pricey than an equivalent Husky, but dang it, they're good saws, and if paying a bit more upfront keeps Stihl from selling their stuff at Home Depot well then so be it.

And as far as "working him down," that's a hot topic around here. There's even a couple of threads about it. The prices he's asking look fair to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if he can't come down too much, And if he can't, don't hold it against him.

Jeff

ajc4,

If you are in southwestern NY it would probably serve you well to look up Stihltech on this site. I know that he would treat you as fairly as possible and he is a crackerjack technician should you ever need service. I would even drive a bit to use his service.

Russ

i deal with stihltech and the the prices at his shop are a fair amount less.....looking at the price sheet i have here in front of me.

Back