Saw Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When your saws are not being used, how are they stored?

• I leave the bars on the saws

Votes: 59 80.8%
  • I take the bars off the saws

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My saws stay in my living room

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters
Yes

computeruser said:
How do you store your saws when they're not in use? Bar on, bar off? Or in your living room?

Yes but the ones in the living aren't actually "stored"

oh oh.....the wife shhhhhhhhhhhhh

I went for the "You know you're a redneck" option. They are actually in my dining room, on the table (except at meal times)

I leave the bar and chain on the saws. I just loosen the chain adjuster so the chain isn't pulling on the sprocket, chain kind of just sags on the bar. That's what the dealer told me to do when I bought my first saw, done it ever since.

I've gone bars-off of late for everything except the Echo. Easier to store and transport (Jeep TJ) them with the bars off. If I had more room then it might be a different story.

Saws_2.jpg

Me, too. Bar on, chain slacked.
3 Remingtons are hanging in the garage rafters on large rubber-coated hooks
2 Poulans in cases on the deep freezer in the garage
1 poulan stil in a 5-gallon bucket - likely stay there...
1 Sears 'lectric just on the garage floor for now
1 McCulloch 35 on the OTHER deep freezer in the garage beside the SH85 Blower-vac
3 Stihls in cases on shelves in said garage.

BTW - all it takes is instance of bird crap on your saw case to confirm it as a good purchase. Unless you're into that kind of thing, I suppose.

Bars on. Only reason i could see takin' 'em off is to save room, or if you are a collector.

There is only one dude on here I know for a fact stores his saws in his livin' room... :biggrinbounce2:

Gary

Never a saw, but used to keep the Harley in the den for the winter.
Bars on.

saws

Mine are in the wifes laundry room along with all my fishing, hunting gear and tools. Bars off except my P28, chain slackened.

GASoline71 said:
Bars on. Only reason i could see takin' 'em off is to save room, or if you are a collector.

There is only one dude on here I know for a fact stores his saws in his livin' room... :biggrinbounce2:

Gary

and it's not me mine visit in transit

I keep 'em in the basement, bars on. To me the most important thing is a consistent temperature. It's not good to have them in a shed or garage that goes from below freezing to 70 degrees every day.

Both.

The 3120 and 066 are stored "bars off", the rest have them on.

Right now, the 3120, 066, Super XL, 2-36" bars, one 42" bar, toolbox, gas can, and guide board are all weighting down my stack of cherry boards. No, they are not in my living room.

Mark

I don't have room on the shelf for MY saws, so they sit on a shelf with the bars off. The saws I am working on sit on some old grocery store shelves I got this fall and I don't have bars for them, yet.

By decree, my saws stay in the garage. They cannot enter the female's domain or I will end up sleeping beside my saws!

Bars stay on, when I get the hankerin' to spin a chain last thing I want to do is install it first.:chainsaw: But seriously, I use 'em too often to bother with disassembly. They reside in my second home(read garage), on shelves under my work bench. Like others I'm sure it'd be my primary residence if I brought one into Her house.:angry2:

Empty gas tank. Idle saw til it dies. Pull choke. Run saw til it dies. Fill up oil tank. Blow down saw. Remove spark plug. Quick shot of WD-40 in cylinder. Pull piston to TDC. Replace plug. Loosen chain. Pull chain through stream of WD-40 to lube chain and sprocket. Quick wipe down. Store saw at work with b/c still mounted in temp-controlled room only I have key to.:D

Great photo McBob! Love those old Mac's - they are almost too purty to run. I hope I have one nice enough to store in the house one day!

Josh

Back