saw wont cut straight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc_man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi:

I got a stihl ms290 that i can sharpen it and it will cut straight for about 5 or 6 cuts then starts cutting on an angle and eventually binds and wont cut. any ideas what to try or to check?

I agree. Check to see how the chain rides in the bar groove. I'd bet that the bar is wore out and allows the chain to wiggle from side to side.

just picked the saw up and i tried flipping the bar but never made a difference. Should i just bite the bullet and buy a new bar and chain?

And also how is the best way to check the bar rails?

Not really a good way to check, just true the rails on a sander. If it still cuts angled, it's the chain or the rails are worn out. Make sure the cutters are all the same length and sharpened.

Your chain is dull on one side. Rakers
could be set wrong also. I have had some
pretty worn bars and they still cut straight
with a good chain.

Lee

Check for lips on the bar, and remove them with a flat file, to check if a bar is straight , take the bar of and lay it down to a working bench , or line it up to your eye.
The fact is, most of the time when a saw won’t cut straight, it is a chain problem.

Hope this help.

Your chain is dull on one side. Rakers
could be set wrong also. I have had some
pretty worn bars and they still cut straight
with a good chain.

Lee

As long as the bar groove isn't opened to wide. A chain groove for a .050 chain shouldn't be more than a couple thou out. Meaning that a groove that's .058 doesn't work well with a .050 chain, the rails need closed or the chain is leaned over in the cut causing it to cut on an angle.

As long as the bar groove isn't opened to wide. A chain groove for a .050 chain shouldn't be more than a couple thou out. Meaning that a groove that's .058 doesn't work well with a .050 chain, the rails need closed or the chain is leaned over in the cut causing it to cut on an angle.

Not so sure about that. I'm sure there is a max.
But i have run 058 chain in 063 bars with no issues.

Lee

For checking if bar rails are even or not, I like taking a machinist's square, putting it across the rails, and holding it in front of me with some source of light beyond. If there's light over one rail, than the other's too high.

If you're going to buy a new bar and chain, buy a sprocket too!

You can put the bar in the vice and put a a flat file on it, that way its easier to see if the rails are the same height or not.

Not sayin’ a bar won’t cause the problem you describe, but I can get pretty lax on dressing my bar rails when I’m doing a lot of cutting, they’ve gotten way out’a whack at times and I don’t have curving-cut problems. I’ve even bent a bar, straightened it the best I could in a tree crotch and finished out the day without have a curving-cut issue.

The only times I’ve had my saw cut in a curve (especially to the point where it binds) is because I screwed-up the sharpening job. One thing guys tend to do is file the cutters on one side of the chain just a tiny bit shorter then the other side… it has to do with the way pressure is applied when the chain/bar/saw is flipped around and the angle direction changes. Over a few filings all the cutters on one side get enough shorter to cause one side to “bite” into the wood more than the other side (even if the depth gauges are set for each cutter). Yeah, I’ve been-there-done-that, and I’m still fully capable of screwing-it-up when I’m filing in the field and get in a hurry. Sometimes the difference in cutter lengths is easy to see, but often the left/right cutter angles will play tricks with (older?) eyes and hide it from you. What I do, every half-dozen or so sharpenings at the bench, is grab a micrometer and measure several random cutters on one side of the chain to get an average length, then do the same on the other side… those two averages should be darn close, say around .005 of an inch, give-or-take. And really, if you measure all the cutters on the chain the difference between the longest and shortest should be no more than .020, maybe .025 of an inch (ignoring the occasional random mangled cutter), .015 would be better… if you have a wide variance of cutter lengths some of them will just “float” over the wood without cutting much, and the chain will cut “rough”. Don’t forget to set the depth gauges after “fixing” the cutter lengths. After you’ve had to “fix” a few chains you’ll figure out what’s happening, then modify your sharpening technique, and will only rarely need to “fix” one.

Another filing error that will cause the saw to cut in a curve is getting the angles different on the two sides of the chain, again because of the perspective you get when it’s flipped and filing angle goes from left to right, or right to left. If you’re filing all the cutters one side at, say 28[sup]o[/sup] and the other side at 32[sup]o[/sup] it’ll “bite” more on one side than the other. Same thing if you’re pushing the file deeper in the gullet or tipping the file differently on one side of the chain.

It ain’t so much that every cutter has to be an absolute perfect mate to the next… and they won’t be. But it is all about consistency when going from one side of the chain to the other.

Try filing your rakers from both sides, like left rakers from the left, and right rakers from the right.

In case your guide is causing something funky to happen if you file the left from inside-outside and the right from outside-inside.

Back