Sawing Out 2x12-14's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Big Jake,

Those saplings are "Am. Blk. Walnut" and "Butternut" seedlings... I have a lot of walnuts and butternuts around my house, and the squirells like to carry the nuts over by the mill. Some they eat, but many they plant for me. I then dig up some seedlings each year, replanting them out back, into my walnut grove... :~)

Kind of nice of them to do that for me, wouldn't you say?? lol As, i then don't have to buy seedlings!

Rob
I'll be darned-guess I can't see them good enough in the pic. On grandpa's farm we had black walnut trees. I remember the squirrels carrying the big nuts around too-comical.

Around here they have a tree looks just like that. Propogates by roots/seeds and will literally take over fields/make them impassable. :mad: Got em along the ditch too-hate those things!

It's called:Tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima) is a small to medium-sized tree with smooth gray bark. Verde Valley residents may know it as the tree that dominates the Town of Jerome. Leaves are compound with 11-25 leaflets. Tree-of-heaven leaves could be confused with those of sumac, pecan or black walnut. Flowers occur in panicles at the ends of branches; male flowers produce a strong odor, which has been described as "the smell of burnt peanut butter." The leaves when crushed also produce this distinctive, offensive odor. Tree of heaven also has winged seeds somewhat like those of Siberian elm. One tree-of-heaven can produce up to 350,000 seeds in a year. Established trees also produce numerous suckers from the roots and resprout vigorously from cut stumps and root fragments. Tree-of-heaven also produces a toxin in its bark and leaves. These toxins can accumulate in the soil and will inhibit the growth of other plants (a phenomenon called allelopathy).

Anyway, that's where the original post came from.

Re: backwoods

Thanks for the advice, I'll wait another month or more before I take that tree maybe with the cooler weather it will help! I never thought about sealing the whole tree, thats what I need to do Im sure just due to the way it was checking so bad every where. I wish all of these trees would mill and cure like cedar.... Thanks Waylon

Back