Sawmill shed designs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencerhenry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have been milling for six years out in the weather. cold snowy and windy in the winter, hot and sunny in the summer. used to be that i took my mill to a job pretty regularly, but now the guy i was milling for has his own mill. i have also set mine up with a bed extension, so it doesnt get moved very often. i have some ideas for a milling shed, but before i build it i want to get some ideas from others. i want to build a shed, open on the one side, closed in back and the ends. obviously it needs to be tall enough to clear the saw head, and the front has to be open large enough to fit in full length logs, in this case 27'. but a 27' clear span is tough with 90# snowload. but i also need to be able to get the mill out of it without too much effort. what i build will be just set on the ground, the ground under the mill is just a pile of rocks with enough dirt to make it flat. mostly i am wanting protection from the wind in the winter, and sun in the summer.

i have been milling for six years out in the weather. cold snowy and windy in the winter, hot and sunny in the summer. used to be that i took my mill to a job pretty regularly, but now the guy i was milling for has his own mill. i have also set mine up with a bed extension, so it doesnt get moved very often. i have some ideas for a milling shed, but before i build it i want to get some ideas from others. i want to build a shed, open on the one side, closed in back and the ends. obviously it needs to be tall enough to clear the saw head, and the front has to be open large enough to fit in full length logs, in this case 27'. but a 27' clear span is tough with 90# snowload. but i also need to be able to get the mill out of it without too much effort. what i build will be just set on the ground, the ground under the mill is just a pile of rocks with enough dirt to make it flat. mostly i am wanting protection from the wind in the winter, and sun in the summer.

Oh.... we got a couple of those types of thread going on... :clap::clap:

Here's Robs thread

Here's my thread

Good luck,
Ted

Latest posts

Back