Saws from hell...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Just thought I'd start a thread (probably done before) where you tell a story of a nightmare saw you've had to work on. You know the ones that just keep having problems the deeper you look.
I don't work on saws anywhere near as much as many other guys on AS but here is my nightmare saw and still in the shed from a customer...

Anyway a guy brings in his dad's Dolmar PS9000 (a full time firewood cutter) to get a new fuel line on it. "Is that all that is wrong with it?" I ask. "Yup" is his reply. The split on the fuel line has blue silicone all over it.
I order a couple of fuel lines from Kyle (Edge and Engine) and as always service is top notch.
I fit the fuel line and no go. I pull the carby and as suspected there are lumps of blue silicone jammed in it everywhere.
Give her a clean and still no go. Not even popping. I check the spark and what do you know the coil is stuffed.
Ring the guy and ask again "Are you SURE the saw was running fine?". "Yep" is the reply once again.
So I stick another order through to Kyle and once again the order arrives without a hitch. Fit the coil, get a spark, so assume all is good.
Anyway all I can get is a bloody "pop" out of it but she still won't go despite near pulling my arm off. After thinking for a bit I pull the muffler to find a piston that is absolutely wrecked and I don't even have to pull the lid to know the cylinder will be a bin job as well. Despite this compression felt OK when trying to start it which was probably just the wrecked piston trying to scrape it's way along the ruined cylinder wall! I had this gut feeling that something just didn't feel quite right when pulling her over :(
I should have checked this to start with but was assuming the guy's son knew what he was talking about. I should have known by the state of the saw (HINT: ABUSED!) that it was more than just a fuel line...
So far he's up for $200 so I may end up with a PS9000 if he doesn't cough up, albeit one that needs a lot of tender loving care (and expensive parts).

I'd be worried that the guy is going to claim he dropped off a perfectly good workig saw "and you guys screwed it up" and will want to know what you're going to do about it. That's what would worry me.

Can't wait to hear how this one turns out.

Old Blue
Where the well off tax the rest to pay for their solar cells, in...
Kali-bone-ya

Matt,
Sounds like they were trying to sucker you. When they come in have an account ready for them and hit them with the bad news. And stick to your guns.
We have all had saws like that - I had a problematatic 036 once (I know they are a really easy saw to work on) that gave me absolute fits. It is all part of the game.:smile2:

Al.

I had a Oleo mac 261 last week I couldn't get to run right I was sure it was the carb, after checking it twice with no luck I did a vac test, I found the problem, a $5.50 crank seal

IMG_5253Custom.jpg

IMG_5258Small.jpg
:rock:

Hey I think this guy is fine. What the problem would have started with is the split fuel line. His dad wouldn't have picked up a change in revs or loss of power because you can tell by his maintenance (or lack thereof) that the saw is a tool, nothing more. It has then seized. I think the coil dying is coincidental. I rebuilt an MS660 and whacked a BB kit on an MS650 for him and he's as happy as Larry with the way they are running 6 months down the track.
I'm more than happy to put a new top end on it and I'll also stick in new crank seals. If he can't pay I'll keep the saw, simple :)

Matt are you charging this goof labor, or just for the parts? I don't like the sound of the silicone, you never know what you'll find when you pop the jug off.

Best of luck with the saw.

Andre.

I am charging labour mate but all up I've really only spent about an hour on the saw. The rest of the time has been waiting for parts or I've simply been too busy to work on it. Well actually I did probably spend another hour pulling it over :) Silicone goes to show how good he is at saw mechanics!

Phew, good thing dat!

I know mate. I'd be wrecking more than I'm fixing :D

Latest posts

Back