Saws in the logging industry.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJLOGGER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was talking with a friend of mine and we were wondering what brand of saw is used most in the logging industry as well as model. I know that many models are used but is there one model in particular that is a favorite? I couldn't think of a better place to ask than here.

Stihl of course is still top dog

As to which model, it's a toss up between the ms460 or the ms660.

jomoco

GASoline71 said:
Out here in the PNW it is dominated bt Stihl... mostly 044/440's and 046/460's. With the 066/660 thrown in there for BIG wood. There are some guys loyal to Husqvarna out here. But not where I'm from.

Gary

Ditto.....but then again, we only live 50 miles apart!

In Northern, NY

Here in the daks, I think Stihl has the hands down largest presence. For model, I'd say something in the 44/46 range. Husky's gaining ground here also. Although, most husky folks around here are mostly homeowners using them for a few occasion cord or cutting. My preference is a bigger stihl also, buttttt, if they are going to be so friggin' proud of their saws, I'll buy a husky in a second. Posted about this in another thread when buying the wifey a saw...

Stihl MS-460's around here. Note you can get an "Arctic" model which has a heated handle.

Down in the Finger Lakes region it seems pretty mixed. From what I hear, traditionally Stihl pretty much ruled the area, but when I've been looking in guys trucks, there's been a lot of Husky's in the beds. All the Husky's I've seen have been either 385's or 395's. Most of the guys using Stihl's around here have 66's or 88's. We use both. The Husky's are 395's and the Stihl's are an 066, 088's and an 880.

stihl rules

Well, in this area anyway. But we made sure of that with quick service to the pro's. Most of my work is done after 5 at night. Not uncommon to have customers from Rochester to Buffalo. Word of mouth still works.

Had two loggers get some cherry off my friends property a few years ago. They showed up with a Stihl and three Husky's. I have a cousin that's not a logger but he used to work for a company that cut tree limbs to keep them away from power lines for different power companies. He used Husky's, a 346 and a 372. A guy at work has a tree removal company he does on the side. He has 10 saws, 7 Stihl's, 2 Husky's and a Jonsered. I've seen a pretty good mix of Stihl and Husky in my area.

Don't see saws much. More Timbco's and Ponse bunchers. Tree services run more saws. What you do see is Stihls 75% of the time.

South of me is where the loggers are. From the little i have seen it is mixed 50/50. the stihls seem to run the 066/660 and the husky's run the 372 and 395's. not seen many 385's or the smaller stihls running around. The most common firewood saw in the area seems to be the 046. Seems everyone and their brother has one around here....

SWE#Kipp said:
whats the verdict on the 575 ??
does the loggers like them ??

575 is a bit small for a loggers saw. Well, it is over here....

What sort of wood do you guys cut, and how big?

Maine is a Husky strong hold!In the early 80's they came in pushed their saws on everyone and it worked.It's hard to find a descent Stihl dealership in my area.And most loggers don't dare to switch.(myself included)
60 to 70+cc saws are most popular for our type of logging.

As far as the 575,I had one and won't buy another.It's not standing up to the all day-every day abuse.(limbing softwood)

Kiwilogger said:
575 is a bit small for a loggers saw. Well, it is over here....

What sort of wood do you guys cut, and how big?

Lets just say that my 372xpg is a bit of overkill :p

372xp overkill? :censored: Heck, my 385xp is relegated to the shed as it just doesn't have the grunt required. I only got the 385 because it was a mates saw who left logging and he sold it to me for NZ$50. (around $30 US). Goes bloody well, only had 18months work, but the grunt aint there. MS660 is whats required. :greenchainsaw:

Logging Saws

Out here in the redwoods of northern California the loggers use stihl almost exclusively. Those that dont, use husky, but they are uncommon. The ms 460 is most common for bucking and limbing. The ms660 for felling, and once in a while a 880 for the few and far in between big old growth stick.

Latest posts

Back