Saws in the logging industry.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an antigue Jonsered 52E, which gets no use anymore, and my main saw is a Jonsered 670 Champ, all my buddies have the jonsereds, mostly 2071's and 2171's great saws, great performance, and great service here.

Around here its 60% husky and 40% stihl.....either way you cant go wrong. I have both stihl and husky and like em both:cheers:

Sthil

I've worked in seven countries logging in two and doing tree service in five,most places favour Sthil even up here in Alaska.Both have their stong points,especially Husky in the really cold conditions,the enclosed carb certainly makes a difference.I've grown up with Sthil so thats what I run,each to their own

climbing saws and falling saws 020 & 660's -stihl... in between -huskies... just bought a 353 for some residual knockdowns in the cutblock and it worked great... the weateher was this ????s but my filter stayed clean for the whole week...when spacing in the early 90's...(saws were in the 60cc class) everybody used husky cause they were less plasticky and tougher (which was needed cuz a guy probably fell at least ten times a day) but now they're all plasticky.... i think huskies have a better mouting system though... less vibration, but i think stills got a bit more torque...

At work there are 6 660's, an 066, an 064, a 460, a 575 and a 385.

The huskys sound like screaming children! :chainsaw:

lol, I gave my 385 to my old man the other day. Never use the damn thing.

And as for the 575, just too damn slow and gutless. :censored:

my saws

husky 385
stihl 066
stihl 029

here in BC its a preference depends on who you are loyal too:bowdown: .
for bucking I like the 066 but for falling I like 385

I run a husky 372xp and a Stihl MS460
Also have a Stihl ms200t (from tree work days) and a husky 268 which doesn't get used very often. So I guess I am 50/50. Although I am thinking of getting a stihl MS361 when I can afford it.

Central Cal

We use stihls now mostly 440,460 and 660 they do very well for what we need them for mostly fireline contruction, PC thinning, and hazard tree falling. Whole forest used to run mostly Husky 66,68,72 and 288 but when the 371 and 72 came out crank bearings started to routinly sieze so we pretty much switched over. I know CDF in our area used to run huskys also but they had the same problems with the crank bearings so they were eventually going to switch over in time.

I''ve had both saws and so far I havent been able to find a saw that pleases me as much as my 44 and 460 have. I have run Huskys a lot and I have just had better luck with the STIHL. We have a 262 at work, and I really like that saw, and I use it a lot, but it's not mine so.... If it were it would be a 360. Sorta like the difference between Chevy and Ford, some are partial to one specific brand. What bar length do you guys run on your 460's I have a 20" but I am sure that it would still run strong with a longer bar. JW as I would like to get a longer bar.

Loggers back here run mostly 460's (probably 2 460's to every one 440) followed by 440's and 372's. You see some 385's but you see almost as many 395's and a few 066's. The 70cc saws will almost always have a 20'' on them and you see a 20'' on ALOT of the larger saws. Its funny it seems that the faller says to him self "wow, this is a big tree (compared to what he normally cuts) I need to get my big saw!'' but his ''big saw'' has the same size bar as his normal saw..... I haven't figured that one out yet:yoyo: ; If I'm going to carry a bigger saw then I want a longer bar.

longer bar?

Loggers back here run mostly 460's (probably 2 460's to every one 440) followed by 440's and 372's. You see some 385's but you see almost as many 395's and a few 066's. The 70cc saws will almost always have a 20'' on them and you see a 20'' on ALOT of the larger saws. Its funny it seems that the faller says to him self "wow, this is a big tree (compared to what he normally cuts) I need to get my big saw!'' but his ''big saw'' has the same size bar as his normal saw..... I haven't figured that one out yet:yoyo: ; If I'm going to carry a bigger saw then I want a longer bar.

You will find out the longer bar is heavier and the shorter bar, be it on a more horse saw will be easier to handle and you will cut faster. Wait, you have to know how to handle the saw with the shorter bar first. A lot to do with your tech
skill handling the saws. Time on the trigger will tell.

You will find out the longer bar is heavier and the shorter bar, be it on a more horse saw will be easier to handle and you will cut faster. Wait, you have to know how to handle the saw with the shorter bar first. A lot to do with your tech
skill handling the saws. Time on the trigger will tell.

I run a 16" bar on my 372xp and a 20" on my 460 both have 3/8x8 sprockets to increase chain speed and semi skip chain. They cut very nice setup that way!

a 16 on a 372? damn!

i just put one on my 357 and i can't stand it.seemed to cut better and be better balanced with an 18 for some reason.seemed to cut faster with the 18 too.
i run a 20 on the 372 and it's perfect.

I run a 20" on my 66 at work, 8 tooth rim sprocket for chain speed. I have a 30" in the shed for when I get big eucalyptus, or cypress to fell for my firewood.

We are in some quite big wood at the moment, 3ft + at the butt, 3 tonne piece size and a 20" is fine. Very fast cutting with a 66 and 8 tooth rim sprocket on a 20" bar.

Its funny how trees cut differently. We have just finished one side of the road where we are (12 months work), and have just moved, still in the same forest, but about half a mile away. The wood is alot softer, lighter and easier to cut. Smaller branches, less nodal swelling, bigger trees, and straighter.

We are processing probably 15-20 % more wood in this new block.

:blob2:

This is husqvarna country here but you will see the occasional Stihl. Most crews fell with a feller buncher or a track cutter. I use a 385 and a rancher as a backup and limbing saw but but most crews only use a saw at the deck. Usually a 365 or a 372.

I just spent a day on a MS650.

Nice saw, had a 22" bar with an 8 tooth rim sprocket. Hard to tell the difference from an MS660. Used less fuel, which is a bonus.

Anyone else used one?

I was more impressed with the 650 than the 640, thats for sure!

Back