Saws With An Attitude

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple cheap saws that have more attitude than one would expect, including my squish reduced Poulans. But maybe the one with the most attitude is a my smallest, a mildly ported 32cc Mac with a 12" bar - it doesn't rev all that high but it just goes through anything, and it's always ready to run. I even had to put a spike on it. It doesn't know it's a toy.

IMG_1810-800.jpg

I have a couple cheap saws that have more attitude than one would expect, including my squish reduced Poulans. But maybe the one with the most attitude is a my smallest, a mildly ported 32cc Mac with a 12" bar - it doesn't rev all that high but it just goes through anything, and it's always ready to run. I even had to put a spike on it. It doesn't know it's a toy.

View attachment 532552
Is ther spike mounting holes already? I used mine the other day and thougjt it needs a spike.

View attachment 532552
I just fixed a 3514 Mac that had rotted out fuel lines and a cracked primer bulb. Saw now starts and runs flawlessly. Not the easiest of tasks, but the job is done. Owner, who bought it in '97, is very satisfied.

This I like saws with BA the saws I love the most have some serious attitude and all of them are pretty much stock with the occasional 8 pin thrown in of fun. My worst at the moment has to be my 385 xp this saw starts every time, all the time I have never had anything smaller or bigger then a 28" bar. I like the 28" number with my height I can ground cut all day without getting a back ache. I find that longer bars... well they have a purpose but it isn't mine. The compression on this saw is unreal when I first got it, the decompression valve was staying open, so being a red neck and applying more muscle then intelligence replaced the decompression valve with a plug, and it worked. However after I replaced 4 recoil starters and dislocated a shoulder that saw has a shiny new decompression valve in it. It has puked and destroyed entire clutches and oil pumps, it loves to snap 3/8 x .050 just cause it can it literally cut a oregon rim in half, it will throw huge chunks of wood back at you. Fact is it is a high maintenance, High performance machine this saw starts up pi**ed off and runs that way all week it has no quit in it until the tank is dry. I tried a 8 pin on this one, it only works with a radical skip tooth other wise I spent most of the time backing out of the throttle because the chain was floating, and not biting, so I stay with the 7 pin on this one. I have had people suggest putting a 390 cylinder on her, why? The cylinder in a solid strong OEM 54mm cylinder a 390 cylinder is 55mm, that's a lot of money and time for a improvement that at best is unnoticeable (I have run and owned a 390 or 2). I call this saw Hellion she does everything she should and somethings I wouldn't believe if I hadn't been there. The best thing about her is she is solid and drop dead dependable, she is kind of the back bone of my wood cutting business.
My other favorite just showed up one day in my little shop, like a stray dog. I found out later that a buddy of mine from the local church got a new saw and didn't have much use for the old gal so he donated her to me (I have been fortunate to have such friends). It was a poulan 4900 I had never even heard of the saw, only thing wrong with it was a broken trigger. I wasn't that excited about the saw so she sat in my shop for almost a year. I was helping some friends move and found a box labeled poulan saw parts I found a trigger among turned out to be pretty much garbage. So I installed the trigger replaced the clutch hub with a oregon rim set up, put a new fuel line and duck bill on her, and she fired after three pulls and has every since.
This thing sounds like a Harley Davidson chainsaw would if Harley Davidson made chainsaws at idle it is a slow almost pop under throttle, well lets just say she is loud and distinctive. When I mention this 4900 in conversation most people react with something like," I had a 3400 once nice saws." I just grin this saw and a 3400 are worlds apart, at 77 cc she isn't quite as big as the 5200 or 8500, but for a old gal she ain't no slouch either she has a 8 pin, she didn't have quite the speed I like, but she has all the torque needed to pull a 28" bar with 3/8 x .050 and a 8 pin. I love this saw and her attitude, every once in a while for no reason she'll get in a mood and stall and then after about 15 good pulls she'l start up and run like nothing happened for the rest of the day, and it doesn't matter what I do to the bolts holding the pickup coil they will let the coil slip and bind the flywheel, the top cover has been jury rigged with 1/4 x 20 bolts, and every once in a while one will work lose while you are running it and the rattle it causes will crawl the length of your spine until you tighten them, and she is a little on the heavy side. Face it she is a old reed saw and with age comes quirks, people do that too! I complain about all these things, to the point I start thinking about trading her of for something newer easier to find parts for, and I know that eventually I will have too because parts are scarce and sometimes in a small business you need every piece of equipment running, having one down because you can't find parts isn't a good thing,,,,,then I start her and the sound she makes, makes me think it just doesn't get much better!

The Alpina Prof 55 I own it sounds agressive & " Bad Arse " when it"s just running at idle never mind when revving I guess it thinks it's an off shoot of an Italian Super car

Lately to me. Stock runners that have impressed me, small to bigger cc has been. echo 3900, Craftsman 3.3 that has the 335 topend, poulan 415 newer style one, poulan 445

Friends 6800i. Why anyone would do anything to that stock saw is beyond me. That saw is a beast in the cuts with 24"

This I like saws with BA the saws I love the most have some serious attitude and all of them are pretty much stock with the occasional 8 pin thrown in of fun. My worst at the moment has to be my 385 xp this saw starts every time, all the time I have never had anything smaller or bigger then a 28" bar. I like the 28" number with my height I can ground cut all day without getting a back ache. I find that longer bars... well they have a purpose but it isn't mine. The compression on this saw is unreal when I first got it, the decompression valve was staying open, so being a red neck and applying more muscle then intelligence replaced the decompression valve with a plug, and it worked. However after I replaced 4 recoil starters and dislocated a shoulder that saw has a shiny new decompression valve in it. It has puked and destroyed entire clutches and oil pumps, it loves to snap 3/8 x .050 just cause it can it literally cut a oregon rim in half, it will throw huge chunks of wood back at you. Fact is it is a high maintenance, High performance machine this saw starts up pi**ed off and runs that way all week it has no quit in it until the tank is dry. I tried a 8 pin on this one, it only works with a radical skip tooth other wise I spent most of the time backing out of the throttle because the chain was floating, and not biting, so I stay with the 7 pin on this one. I have had people suggest putting a 390 cylinder on her, why? The cylinder in a solid strong OEM 54mm cylinder a 390 cylinder is 55mm, that's a lot of money and time for a improvement that at best is unnoticeable (I have run and owned a 390 or 2). I call this saw Hellion she does everything she should and somethings I wouldn't believe if I hadn't been there. The best thing about her is she is solid and drop dead dependable, she is kind of the back bone of my wood cutting business.
My other favorite just showed up one day in my little shop, like a stray dog. I found out later that a buddy of mine from the local church got a new saw and didn't have much use for the old gal so he donated her to me (I have been fortunate to have such friends). It was a poulan 4900 I had never even heard of the saw, only thing wrong with it was a broken trigger. I wasn't that excited about the saw so she sat in my shop for almost a year. I was helping some friends move and found a box labeled poulan saw parts I found a trigger among turned out to be pretty much garbage. So I installed the trigger replaced the clutch hub with a oregon rim set up, put a new fuel line and duck bill on her, and she fired after three pulls and has every since.
This thing sounds like a Harley Davidson chainsaw would if Harley Davidson made chainsaws at idle it is a slow almost pop under throttle, well lets just say she is loud and distinctive. When I mention this 4900 in conversation most people react with something like," I had a 3400 once nice saws." I just grin this saw and a 3400 are worlds apart, at 77 cc she isn't quite as big as the 5200 or 8500, but for a old gal she ain't no slouch either she has a 8 pin, she didn't have quite the speed I like, but she has all the torque needed to pull a 28" bar with 3/8 x .050 and a 8 pin. I love this saw and her attitude, every once in a while for no reason she'll get in a mood and stall and then after about 15 good pulls she'l start up and run like nothing happened for the rest of the day, and it doesn't matter what I do to the bolts holding the pickup coil they will let the coil slip and bind the flywheel, the top cover has been jury rigged with 1/4 x 20 bolts, and every once in a while one will work lose while you are running it and the rattle it causes will crawl the length of your spine until you tighten them, and she is a little on the heavy side. Face it she is a old reed saw and with age comes quirks, people do that too! I complain about all these things, to the point I start thinking about trading her of for something newer easier to find parts for, and I know that eventually I will have too because parts are scarce and sometimes in a small business you need every piece of equipment running, having one down because you can't find parts isn't a good thing,,,,,then I start her and the sound she makes, makes me think it just doesn't get much better!
So, your first name is actually Toby, your last name is actually Keith, and you moved to Utah? One of these days I would like to meet you and talk about the 28" bar that I have mounted on a Stihl 046 Mag. Somehow, that saw loves me for installing it.

If you are ever in Nebraska, look me up. My favorite bar is waiting for both of us and the owner and bartender is a knockout with a good attitude and the coldest beer anywhere. And, her husband is a logger who runs MS 660's and 880's.

This lil lady (362rcm) made a trip to visit elmoobs in tn, i hope she returns to ak with quite the attitude :)

Attachments

• 20160923_162624.jpg
    20160923_162624.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
All the saws in my Sig are a pleasure to run with extreme attitude, but my 2-piece 3 and 5 cube saws EC Saws built for me are over the top.

Back