Saws without chains are dangerous too- PPE for the shop??? (graphic alert)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
I have and use PPE when I'm in the field: goggles when I'm grinding: ear plugs when I'm running the mower: and a helmet when I make the wife mad. I guess I need to add shop PPE to the list.

I got up early yesterday to do the honey-do items so that I could have some extended time in the shop. I hadn't been to the shop five minutes when I took a tumble.

Several months ago I was given a Ryobi blower. It turned out to be junk and I sat it to the side. I had been planning on removing the bolts and carb bf I junked it. I also had a Craftsman 3.8 that belongs to the county sheriff. It had been sitting for years and needed the basics to get it going. One thing I did to the saw was to true the rails. When I got the shop yesterday morning, the first thing I did was to do a little straightening. I had brought a nice box home from work to use for shipping saws (anybody else watch the boxes at work with an eye on using them for saw shipping????) As I sat the box down and turned around, I tripped on the blower which spun the saw sideways in front of me. As I was falling I stuck my arms out to catch myself and only caught the freshly ground rails on my wrist. It peeled two nice chunks out of my arm, a nice bit of road rash on the knee, and a 10" bruise on my ribs. The doctor put 5 stitches and 12 Steri-strips over the cuts. I was very thankful there was no chain on the saw or the results could have been much worse. As it is, I am on a strict no-lift (nicked the tendon) restriction from the dr. I can't use the arm for a while. The dr. said I should recover just fine with no long term effects.

Be careful in the shop!!! Saws without chains are dangerous too.

attachment.php

Could have been worse, thankfully not. Makes me want to line my shop walls with shelving instead of sitting stuff in the floor.

Glad that it wasn't any worse.

A lesson learned that will stick with you for many years to come.

My garage is actually my shop. My #1 rule is: Nothing on the floor other than a shop rug here and there. It's my wife that thinks rule #1 doesn't apply to her when she's working on a project in my shop. :angry:

Ouch!!! Glad yer gonna make a full recovery. You probably bled like a stuck hog.

Actually the bleeding wasn't too bad.

Could have been worse, thankfully not. Makes me want to line my shop walls with shelving instead of sitting stuff in the floor.

Glad that it wasn't any worse.

A lesson learned that will stick with you for many years to come.

My garage is actually my shop. My #1 rule is: Nothing on the floor other than a shop rug here and there. It's my wife that thinks rule #1 doesn't apply to her when she's working on a project in my shop. :angry:

I have about 60 saws in an 18' x 22' shop. Stuff not being on the floor simply isn't an option...but thanks for the safety tip.

Ouch!

Oh well, you know what they say;

"What doesn't kill you....

... probably hurt like a *¡₩¤★☆@!"

Stay safe!

I fell asleep next to a 090 on my living room floor once I awoke to a few nice cuts when I rolled over on the nice sharp chain.......this was years ago and yes my wife was not happy!!

Ouch. Take it easy man. I got so many bruises and scars I don't think I feel pain like I used to. The one scar Ill never forget is the one on my face. I had a three inch nail go into my cheek and sunk in two inches plus going upwards just missing my sinus cavity. That one I felt and I ate through a straw and with a baby spoon for a while.

Ouch. Take it easy man. I got so many bruises and scars I don't think I feel pain like I used to. The one scar Ill never forget is the one on my face. I had a three inch nail go into my cheek and sunk in two inches plus going upwards just missing my sinus cavity. That one I felt and I ate through a straw and with a baby spoon for a while.

It's funny how when u were a kid a bandaid made everything better......now its stitches a bottle of pain killers and two weeks to recover

I guess I'm the black sheep here, but those wounds don't look like much to me. I can't imagine going to the docter and getting stitched up for that scratch.

Tony

Dang! Good thing it wasn't worse. Any tendon damage is scary stuff. Eat a bunch of gelatin for a few weeks to help with tendon healing (it mixes into soup pretty well).

I make a point of keeping scabbards on my saws when not in use.Now I got to find one for the retiree who's chain I robbed.I'm beginning to think I just might not be bullet proof(or bar proof).

I guess I'm the black sheep here, but those wounds don't look like much to me. I can't imagine going to the docter and getting stitched up for that scratch.

Tony

Personally I feel the same way, I have to be half dead before I set foot in a hospital but I've never thought I was tougher than the next guy more like dumber......my point hear is don't hold it against a guy for taking care of himself

Back