Say part of an oak tree is hollowed out significantly...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Book

Reaction score
The hollow is maybe 15 feet up, but I don't know how deep the damage is. It catches rain and squirrels. If this hole is plugged, can the tree repair itself? The branch was cut more perpendicular than parallel with the trunk, making a trap. Tree is at least two feet in diameter.

Thanks for your thoughts,

cb

Being up there is it possible to post a picture of the damage and of the tree's attempt to encapsulate it? I view time the hole is going to be open as a major factor here.

Also, where are you Charles and is there Sudden Oak Death in your area?

If so that gives you some excuse to seal this wound or at least the drain hole you are considering making in my controversial opinion.

The hole doesn't sound like it is new damage, so there would be no reason to seal it for SOD or Oak Wilt...that only applies to damage done during the growing season.

I am not a fan of drilling drain holes because you are piercing perfectly good bark/expanding g area open to decay with not a lot of benefit most if the time...but understand there are 2 sides to every story.

There are some who would fill the hole with Great Stuff foam thinking that will keep the rain out. In my experience all that does is guarantee that it will NEVER dry out. If it is open, it should at least dry out for a couple of months per year.

A couple areas farther down the trunk sometimes appear to be moist, and stained, like water drains regularly. Also where the largest of holes are there seems to be a lot of staining…the pattern being like a cup that overflowed and ran down the trunk.

I asked the city arborist about SOD and he said he wasn’t aware that my area is affected.

A couple areas farther down the trunk sometimes appear to be moist, and stained, like water drains regularly. Also where the largest of holes are there seems to be a lot of staining…the pattern being like a cup that overflowed and ran down the trunk.

I asked the city arborist about SOD and he said he wasn’t aware that my area is affected.

We are going to need a picture of it to hazard a guess at the safety issue the tree poses.

From the updated description I say CODIT has failed. If the tree is out in the middle of a field where it will not kill anyone when it fails go ahead experiment and see what you can do.

If it is in a residential setting its probably time to have someone take a peek at your tree.

Toro-
Thanks for the reply!
I learned a thing...CODIT.
The tree is about 2 feet in diameter, and next to my house. It is a city tree.

I will email the city arborist and mention the CODIT, after I do some more reading. I am guessing what I am seeing is a cavity(s) that are draining periodically.

This is one of two large trees on my corner lot.

Thanks,

cb

Back