Say what? Part VI...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing that people like this can function in life without being able to write.
Have you heard all the uproar because G. Dubya wants to require 3rd graders read on a 2nd grade level or else they get held back? I guess a certain number of people aren't supposed to be able to read or write.
But it makes it easy to weed out the idiots! If they aren't smart enough to read and write, I don't want to do business with them.

Nucular

I`ve never understood that common mis-pronunciation of the word, especially by otherwise intelligent people. Doesn`t it seem odd to them that the word looks nothing like the way they pronounce it? I work in the nuclear industry and have been subjected to many well educated(business, not science) people who commonly garble this word. Must be a southern vernacular thing though because most of the well educated who do garble it were from the South. Kinda hard to take the divisional Executive Vice President and CEO seriously when they speak like this, among many other choice phrases. Russ

hey Buckwheat,

I beleive he was a sub officer because he was also trained as a nuclear physicist (or something technical and important in that field):eek:

Russ,
Play nice when the southerners are in your playground because it ain't no fun when the shoes on the other foot. I spent months saying dog for a drill sergeant because it sounded funny to them cuz it didn't come out "dawg". I guess it could have been worse.

Just about every sub officer now has pretty extensive nuclear training in order to earn their dolphins. In Carter's case, I think he was actually an engineer.

I was a Rescue Squad Captain in Harrisburg during TMI, and I live within view of the towers today. I remember when he came to TMI to show the nation that it was "safe", and he was very proud of his navy background. I would have felt safer if he would have been pronouncing it right!

I was pretty embarrassed once when I was interviewing a nice southern lady, and she kept referring to "fillum." I finally had to stop and ask her... turns out she was saying "film."

The funniest one I ever heard was from the book "MiG Pilot" about Viktor Belenko. He defected to Japan with a MiG-25 in 1976. Anyway, after a while, the US palced in a hotel in the South. The woman running the place kept telling him where he could get "ahss". He said "I don't want ass, I want ice." :)

My next door buddy who I grew up with, and, as it happens, who's Dad got me into treework, went into the Navy nuke program. After four years in the Navy he finished his Mech Eng degree at the U of MN. Graduated #1 and went back to work for GE training Navy nukes as a civilian. He told me that had TMI been run like a Navy facility it wouldn't have gotten hot. The civvies bypassed controls to try to contain the plant.

Steve told me many stories about the scrambles they had to deal with at the simulators in Schenectady, NY. They have exact mockups with real nuke power plants on board. During training any number of simulations could be run. Then the techs had to solve the problems. Did anyone see the movie K19? They had shakedowns while under way, not in simulators.

I pronounce it nuke-lee-ur, but then again, I'm from MN :) In January, before I left the South, I bought some grits to smuggle back to MN. I feel like a real bootlegger :) Luv dem grits!

Dubbya is the last person who should be critical of anyone's grammar. Kind of like Dan Quayle judging a spelling bee or Jerry Ford giving dance lessons :)

Tom

I just finished a good book, The Right Thing, by Scott Waddle, Commander of the Greeneville. That was the sub that pulled the emergency surface drill off of Hawaii and collided and sank the Japanese training trawler. He writes alot about his nearly 20 years of technical training before he was put in command, including his time at Schenectady. Great book, easy reading.

You're right about TMI. They basically didn't trust the guages on the cooling system that indicated the bad valve, and then they tried work-arounds that violated their own procedures. One mistake ended up being compounded by several others as the night wore on.

I, too, have a secret affection for grits, especially with maple syrup. But I'm only willing to admit this to a southerner if they're willing to eat a plate of dandilion salad, which is one of the most loved, yet foulest tasting dishes served in the PA Dutch region. My wife loves the stuff, but it truly turns my stomach.

Tom, I haven't seen the movie but I've been aboard the sub, now permanently moored in Prov as part of a museum. I got the nickel tour from a friend there and all I could think was that Russian sailors must have spent a lot of time in sick bay from the gashes in their heads caused by jaggedy edged hyd valves that sit about a foot over the bunks.

Latest posts

Back