Scalawag Jim Clark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreeCo said:
Jim what you are doing is not considered as 'backing up' an ascender. It is called 'capturing the rope' and is suggested for all ascenders.
Yea,what you sez. Capturing, keeping the rope captive, not allowing the rope to escape the shell, even if a cam were to fail. The rope is held captive.

Here is a pic of the ascender backed up and held captive. The hitch out of the pic is a VT and the tress cord is 8 mm tenex, we were climbing SRT on Fly. I understand the difference between backed up and rope held captive. Now that I get it, everybody else does, too. This is good.

I took apart the crown of a mulberry tree today with the power ported 346XP. The chain, I think, has stretched all that it's going to stretch, I really worked it today. The feeling of it is of 'enhanced precision'. Working in tight crotches, your accuracy and abiility to place the tip and cut exactly where, i mean, I've never had a problem with that, but nthe carving bar really shines. I was working in tight quarters today, V-notching and dropping limbs, no rigging. After the crown was out I started zapping off firewood lengths and flush-cutting branch collars. The carving bar was VERY cool today. Wicked zippy power, thin kerf just sails through. Most of the cuts today I deliberately put a lot of pressure when cutting through, and kept the RPM's in the mid, upper range, the saw just growled low and did what it was supposed to do.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hey TM you still kicking around on here brother?i still owe you for the t shirt and chains.:numberone:

Back