Scary News in VT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
VERMONT TO TAX AND INSPECT FIREWOOD SELLERS

MONTPELIER, VERMONT (AP NEWS)

In an effort to curb the growing practice of unrestrained harvest and sales of firewood and wood products, the State Department of Agriculture has proposed an emergency tax and inspection process aimed at firewood processors and sellers. The tax, set by the Legislature at 7-1/2% of the sale price, would be applied to all wood products destined for fuel use by in-state consumers. Beginning today, inspectors will be contacting and visiting all commercial firewood processing operations to determine sales volume and provide new sales tax forms and documentation. A standardized “cord measure” rack will be provided to all processors so that the firewood can be measured accurately, wrapped and barcoded under USDA standards for sale. All commercial processors will be periodically inspected for accurate volume measurements, wood quality, species declaration and moisture content. Those not in compliance could be fined.

Additionally, small processors and individuals not licensed by the State will be restricted to sales not exceeding 3 cords per year. Commercial standards will be enforced on a spot-check basis and the tax for small processors will be at 9-1/2%. According to a State spokesperson, the wrap will not be required but at least five pieces within each cord will need a bar-code sticker. Violators of these standards may be subject to criminal proceedings and fines up to $100,000 and a year’s jail time.

The “wood fuel tax” is also tentatively proposed for wood pellets, chips and other wood products in the immediate future, and may require processors and producers to bag and barcode all wood fuel products and provide product inventory and sales forms to the State.

A spokesperson for the State explained that this tax and inspection process was “to protect the consumer from unscrupulous wood fuel producers”. Further inquiry revealed that Legislative efforts have proposed the tax and inspection process as a way to help reduce the proliferation of unrestricted wood burning appliances in the State.

The firewood Nazi's are on the move! Watch out, the firewood black market is just around the corner I suspect.

"In an effort to curb the growing practice of unrestrained harvest and sales of firewood and wood products, the State Department of Agriculture has proposed an emergency tax and inspection process aimed at firewood processors and sellers."

Read that the state is more than likely in need of emergency revenue.

If I was a firewood seller there I think I would dump my stockpiled wood on the lawn of the state house and get out of the business of selling firewood.

http://www.granitefreepress.com/story?04012009/

Money May Grow on Trees to Offset Budget Shortfall

Senate to Consider Firewood 'Surcharge'

CONCORD, N.H. - As lawmakers grapple with historic budget shortfalls, some in the Granite State are banking on the hope that money can in fact grow on trees.

"Tens of thousands of homes in this state are heated with wood," said Mae Sparks (D-Ayersbury), a ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, which is drafting a measure that would impose a surcharge on cord wood sales. "Wood heat represents a huge cost savings for homeowners, but, at the same time, a significant source of untapped revenue for the state at a critical time."

Advocates of levying a surcharge on firewood point to the fact that taxes are assessed on traditional home heating fuels such as number two heating oil and propane.

"It's really just a matter of fairness. Everyone should pay their fair share," said Sparks. "Added to that is the fact that forest products are a vital resource in this state. It only makes sense that we should all benefit from New Hampshire's abundant forests."

While the proposed measure - which comes up for a vote next week - has its supporters, a vocal minority of lawmakers have come out in opposition to the bill.

"Let's call a spade a spade," said Maurice Morrison (R-Livermore). "This isn't a 'surcharge' or a 'user fee' or what ever other rhetorical window dressing they want to call it. It's a tax. And we're taxed enough. Period"

Morrison, whose home is heated by a stove and two fireplaces, called the bill an affront. "If I want to deal with this kind of baloney, I might as well move to Taxachusetts. At least down there, they're up front about it and don't try to palm this kind of nonsense off as a 'fair use of a natural resource' or some other such garbage."

Those who would be most affected by the proposed measure have their misgivings, too.

"This could very well kill our operation," said Crocker Kraft of Passaconahoe, who has been in the fire wood business for 35 years. He sells about 250 cords of wood each year to about 100 loyal customers. A cord, which measures 128 cubic feet, is the standard measure for firewood sales in New Hampshire.

"They're talking about a $10 per cord tax," said Kraft. "I'd probably still see a profit, but you're talking about taking away a lot of the incentive. And the $2,500 that I'd be seeing going to those people in Concord would mean I'd have nothing to invest in new equipment or anything."

"I like being in the woods, but from a financial standpoint, I'd be better off pouring coffee at Dunkin [Donuts]."

Senator Sparks is skeptical that the economic impact would be as dire as her critics claim.

"For the consumer, they're still getting a bargain comparative to other heating fuels," she said.

"Even if a dealer passed along the costs to the consumer whole cloth, it's still getting off cheap. And for the dealer, you can sell firewood with a $100 Wal-Mart chainsaw and a pickup truck. Most of these guys already own trucks and get trees for free, so I don't see what the big deal is," said Sparks.

Senator Morrison, who has had numerous political clashes with Sparks over the years, remains unconvinced.

"This is just another typical thing from the left," Morrison said. "We're looking at a deficit. Big deal. We've been there before. But instead of doing things the New Hampshire way - reign in expenses and being fiscally responsible - they're looking for just another piggy bank to raid."

The governor has not yet said if he will sign or veto the bill if it reaches his desk after a vote next week.

this better be a joke. that #### is ####ed up and i cant believe she said most people just use a hundred dollar walmart saw. what the #### ? i can promise one thing i will never pay taxes on any wood i cut. thats the only reason i cut firewood so i dont have to pay taxes.

oh man.. you really had me going i was all fired up.

A while back, someone I met, in all seriousness, called firewood salesmen a bunch of fat cats.

This was at the height of the oil spike when per cord prices were on the rise too. This person felt that firewooders are worse than the oil companies. They have to pay for all that equipment, etc. All a firewood person needs is a chainsaw, which you can get at Wal-mart for $100. LOL

I figured there was an April Fools joke in that comment somewhere. :cheers:

I'm off now. Have some more creative writing to do for WorldNetDaily and the Huffington Post. :biggrinbounce2:

uh-oh. I see at the bottom of the screen that avalancher's in this thread now.

He's gonna let me have it something severe.:hmm3grin2orange:

(At least this time I wasn't the instigator, just along for the ride) :greenchainsaw:

Holly carp woodboogs, you gotta knock this stuff off.And you wonder why I questioned you awhile back?this is living proof!Getting to the point everytime you post something like that, my fingers start twitching,my ears turn red, and i am ready to fire off a letter to my congressman!
Okay, okay, you got me this time!and the time before that.And the time before that....you get the idea.

You sure pull off some good ones from time to time, I will hand that to ya!One of these days someone is going to read something like that and climb a clock tower with a high powered rifle.

uh-oh. I see at the bottom of the screen that avalancher's in this thread now.

He's gonna let me have it something severe.:hmm3grin2orange:

(At least this time I wasn't the instigator, just along for the ride) :greenchainsaw:

Man, am I that predictable?

At least I got a couple of people before someone figured it out.

Not too far off the realm of possibility though, huh? I think the New Hampshire "news" is pretty scary. Mine was written on the spur of the moment this morning.

:popcorn:

Back