Scary noob experience yesterday, please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a grainy but classic video of some yahoos cutting a tree with an obvious lean and a resulting barber chair. Think of where your head would be if you were standing in front of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjWV3p-jpQ

That said, why didn't you put a wire on that maple and pull it in the preferred direction? A good Griphoist will give you positive control, providing you have enough room to drop it whole.

Real good example. WHat's a grip hoist?

Holy crap!I thought you were a firewood scab ( meant in the best way). I had no idea. Is that you making a mess of what looks like an elm and am I mistaken or is that a Walmart helmet?
Kudos.

That is me, and it is an Elm. Had to remove it, very tight area, right between two houses. When I speak of how hard it is to learn this on your own, I REALLY DO KNOW!!!
I got a set of Gaffs shortly after that job!!
Don't make fun of my helmet, it does it's job!! (It's been called a bowling ball before!)

Here is a litle better pic of the area:
attachment.php

What did you do wrong? You didn't hire a professional. This kind of work is the kind where a "learning experience" could kill you!

Books are good but learning hands on with a professional teacher is better.

There are some good courses out there find one and spend the time and $ to attend. The life you save may be your own!

One thing that you did right was thinking through the what if the sawdust hits the fan am I protected.

How were you tied in to the tree? Wirecore lanyard? Harness?

Glad you dodged the bullet, spin the cylinder.

and rule 1 never cut a tree on a ladder tom trees:agree2:

That would be cool.

OK so if we break this down, let's temporarily ignore the fact that I was a complete idiot noob yesterday and could have gotten killed. Let's concentrate on one thing, the way that branch blew up on me. I undercut it and then did the primary cut. I actually can cut pretty accurately for a dumbass. Let's ASSUME nothing was wrong with the cut. How do we prevent the blow-out? Should I have cinched say for example a piece of kevlar webbing around the branch 6 inches above the cut to literally hold everything together and thus get a clean snap and a perfectly straight drop?

OMG...anyone who acknowledges they are an idiot & then considers themselves a dumbass all the while wondering what they did wrong only needs to re-read what they wrote about their self & the answer will jump out at you!!! ONLY IN THIS TRADE!!!! God help us.

LXT..................

attachment.php

Good to finally see the Redneck. Neck if that belly gets any bigger you'll be able to roll up that tree. :greenchainsaw: Sorry Neck ya know I luvs ya.

OMG...anyone who acknowledges they are an idiot & then considers themselves a dumbass all the while wondering what they did wrong only needs to re-read what they wrote about their self & the answer will jump out at you!!! ONLY IN THIS TRADE!!!! God help us.
LXT..................

ROFLMAO

I like being helpful. But sometimes just you have to laugh! :cheers:

Dave

attachment.php

Good to finally see the Redneck. Neck if that belly gets any bigger you'll be able to roll up that tree. :greenchainsaw: Sorry Neck ya know I luvs ya.

If ya really wanted a pic, all ya had to do was ask:monkey:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sawin you sure one heck of good lookin' peice of MEAT.

Not to mention a bit of a bad azz too.

I remember that guy when he was in your avatar.

I know the pic you are talking about, working on the splitter with my "drink" in my hand, can't seem to find it right now?
But yup, that is "all" me:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

A Griphoist, AKA Tirfor, is a man portable winch that doesn't use a bail. It has two sets of jaws that alternately grip and release a wire rope which moves through the winch. They will put a comealong to shame, but are pricey.

http://www.tractel.com/us/proddetail.php?prod=11110

This is grainy but shows how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvudgDJ5Hgo&feature=related

If you are ever in Beaumont Texas let me know and I owe you dinner. I have one in my truck that I use constantly and have been looking for years for another one. They are worth their weight in gold. I've used mine to drag a dozer out of the mud when I first got it.

I don't see Griphoists mentioned much on this site. Perhaps it's the cost or the novelty of them. I've used them for years on trail projects, mostly to move boulders, but they will pull a leaner back over into any direction you want to drop it as long as you make a decent hinge. I've hauled mine for miles in a freighter frame pack; the whole kit weighs less than 60lbs, including blocks slings and shackles.

Latest posts

Back