School me on indoor wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this does not even discuss make up air from the outside.That's a whole other thing.

Some of the buildings I watched over for Chase Banks used old air operated Johnson Controls & their make up air were all over the place. Some less than 2% & one over 10% if memory serves.:dizzy:

Wow lots of info here. Whatever i end up doing will be meet all codes and make the insurance company happy. I have to much time and money invested in this house to risk anything. I also live in Mass where its getting to the point that if I fart they want to monitor it.

Keith I will be in touch at somepoint even if its just to pick your brain a little.

Lets backup here for a minute. How would a normal install be for an add on or stand alone? Im not opposed to one over the other from the little reading i have done and from a few posts in here its starting to look like a stand alone might be a better option for me.

Here are 2 pictures of what i have now.

First one looking at the oil burner the current stove is about 3 feet to the right in the photo. In the upper left of the picture you can see the current duct work for the furnace. The main trunk line is on the left and the cold air is on the right.
PICT0686.jpg

this one is looking from the furnace to the current woodstove. The stove is hiding behind the trash barrel and the pipe runs up along the wall at an angle then exits threw the concrete and into the tripple wall then up threw the roof.
PICT0685.jpg

LAH,
When (and if) there is demand on the gas furnace (rare) the blower power is diverted from the continuous blower tap to the heating blower tap via the circuitry in the control board (i.e. rather than using the “Continuous Fan On” switch at the thermostat I’m using a temperature sensor switch in the wood furnace plenum).

I considered something like this & I'm sure it works great. Now my air handler runs 24/7 summer & winter, has for 'bout 5 years. I do place it on auto a little of the spring & fall when heat/ac demand is low.

Back in the 90s I believe it was someone on a radio program said to put them on manual & let them run. So I did. The last heating/cooling class I had we were told the same. Be all that as it may, mine is still running Whitespider. Bet it's cold where ya are?

Now my air handler runs 24/7 summer & winter, has for 'bout 5 years. I do place it on auto a little of the spring & fall when heat/ac demand is low.

Back in the 90s I believe it was someone on a radio program said to put them on manual & let them run. So I did. The last heating/cooling class I had we were told the same. Be all that as it may, mine is still running Whitespider. Bet it's cold where ya are?

Can you explain further?

What I have found is that running the furnace fan continuously lowers the upstairs temp and warms the basement.

Ken

Can you explain further?

What I have found is that running the furnace fan continuously lowers the upstairs temp and warms the basement.

Ken

We were told the constant air movement made the temp more consistent.

IMHO the air is also being filtered more & there’s less chance of mold & mildew but that's only my opinion.

I have to rely on heating code...it's a CYA thing.
Guys do what guys do....and I've seen things not to code where insurance companies still allow.
Heck the state of Maine is allowing wood/oil to be vented in the same flue even if burned in separate appliances..with the catch...it had to have been operating for some time proving that is has been a safe install. I've seen guys install in garages...also a no-no.

Keep in mind it's also your CYA thing...burning wood can be a great way to keep all of those $$$$$ in your pocket that you had been giving away for oil or gas....however if you burn your home down...how good of an investment is it or what if someone dies?????

The only real reason we have heating codes on wood are because of the homes that were burning down in epidemic proportions during the late 70's and early 80's. All of the insurance companies got together and demanded code....hence the N.F.P.A.

Well Keith, the origins of NFPA go back to 1896, John Freeman, and the founding of Factory Mutual Insurance Co. Most fire marshals actually go by the local/statewide building codes more than NFPA.

Some of the buildings I watched over for Chase Banks used old air operated Johnson Controls & their make up air were all over the place. Some less than 2% & one over 10% if memory serves.:dizzy:

All of that pneumatic stuff is pretty much gone now, modern DDC systems are way better.

We were told the constant air movement made the temp more consistent.

IMHO the air is also being filtered more & there’s less chance of mold & mildew but that's only my opinion.

True, if the correct fan speed is used.

All of that pneumatic stuff is pretty much gone now, modern DDC systems are way better.

True, if the correct fan speed is used.

Still two Chase Bank buildings here using pneumatic controls by Johnson Controls, go figure.

Could you expand on the fan speed statement? My unit has only one speed. Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
Do as much research as possible on wood furnaces. You will be surprised at the differences. Also, Keith does a very good job of advising on safely installing your system as well as other aspects of wood heat. Cutting corners on an install can be deadly. If it is done properly, and maintained, a wood furnace is a very rewarding investment. My wife will confirm that when the temp is -10 and she has the whole house at 78*.
Good luck.

Still two Chase Bank buildings here using pneumatic controls by Johnson Controls, go figure.

Could you expand on the fan speed statement? My unit has only one speed. Thanks Mike.

If the fan speed is too high, it causes a "drafty" condition, air cools down, can make it feel cold in the house. That's the beauty of VAV systems in commercial buildings, when working correctly.

My old boss had a building in downtown D.C. that was still using a DOS-based EMS, what a PITA that was.

I will leave the technical discussion to the experts, as far as being that far from the existing furnace fan. We have an OLD (at least mid 70's)wood furnace, but its located right next to the LP/AC furnace, centrally located in the cellar of older farm house. Turn a couple of air flow diverters, and it sends the air though the wood furnace. We actually get quite a bit of heat rising naturally through the duct work. All the cold air return ducts are on the exterior walls of the house. Warm air ducts are centrally located. Like I said, this is an older unite. The auto draft control on the furnace will automatically close, in the event of a power failure. Fortunate to have generator and transfer panel wired to run the furnace in case of power outage.

This is old, like I say. But it works great, and you can see how close it is to the LP furnace. If and or when it needs to be replaced, I would probably look to the Yukon furnaces, as a replacement.

:cheers:
Gregg,

That Glenwood stove is the one I grew up with. Dad still uses it with no issues and it works better than my new furnace. Love them .

Are you a building engineer per chance?

Not really, was called a tech meaning I fixed that which I could & farmed the rest out. I've worked for two companies which held contracts with Chase for maintenance. I did lite electrical & plumbing. Part of the job was PM of heating & cooling systems. I worked on hot water & steam systems both gas & electric fired. Cooling was everything from small roof top units to 40 ton. We had chillers & cooling towers. I helped the pros work on this stuff but really I'm no pro except for changing ballast & bulbs.:msp_biggrin:

Not really, was called a tech meaning I fixed that which I could & farmed the rest out. I've worked for two companies which held contracts with Chase for maintenance. I did lite electrical & plumbing. Part of the job was PM of heating & cooling systems. I worked on hot water & steam systems both gas & electric fired. Cooling was everything from small roof top units to 40 ton. We had chillers & cooling towers. I helped the pros work on this stuff but really I'm no pro except for changing ballast & bulbs.:msp_biggrin:

Ok...some companies call 'em techs, some building engineers. Doing ballasts can be a challenge on occasion. I do the same thing, some call me chief engineer.

I like chief :blob2::msp_smile:

My company wanted to move more into heating & cooling but seemed to be moving away from electrical. Just the opposite of where I wanted to go. So I picked up a saw & never looked back.

That Glenwood stove is the one I grew up with. Dad still uses it with no issues and it works better than my new furnace. Love them .

I know of at least 2 more of them in my area. The guy that does are plumbing/heating/electrical work has one, slightly larger model. And the rural mail carrier here has one, still working great. We had to replace the draft damper motor several years ago. Only thing we have done to it. That wasn't cheap! Couple hundred bucks!, but at least it is still available. Honeywell makes it.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back