Score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to make a big deal out of this but sometimes it's interesting to see something side by side with another. Direct comparisons are limited because one is a custom made device and the other is a commercial design that needs to be kept simple and low cost.

Here's the 64" BIL lined up side by side with the 56" Granberg.
attachment.php

Here's some detail. The difference in the height of the full length tubular handle above the bar can be seen in this shot.
attachment.php

And here is the X-section of the rails.
attachment.php

BTW both of these profiles are shown in many ally catalogs as standard highway sign profiles. There is not that much of a difference, but my 64" rails cost me US$30 from a local ally supplier whereas here in Oz the 56" granberg rails cost US$140 - ouch!

Last edited:
No doubt Bob you sure did it right thats a tough looking rig. I like the 2 post design on the saw side. I have a GB that has 4 posts but like I mentioned before it also has some shortcomings the major one being the locking mechanism for the posts it rattles loose and is at the least annoying but I will say its a hunk of metal for sure!! I can see why some appreciate the simpler design of the granberg too and i'm sure for some it has worked out well in truth I have thought that maybe I should have went that route too after fighting with the GB. One day I will mod it some but now is not the time its half way there at least if theres a brightside!!?? Your design looks like you pulled out all the stops and you could run it over and still go mill some wood!! Thanks for all the pics very nice stuff you guys have on your side of the pond. I won't ramble any longer its Fri. and time for a "barley pop" or two so CHEERS irishcountry

Cheers IC,

The 2, 3 and 4 post mills all have their advantages and disadvantages.

The two post mills have the greatest potential ability to negotiate around obstacles but much of this is lost if bar clamps are used since clamps and accompanying skids effectively lengthen the gap through which the log as to pass and makes a mill narrower for negotiating any curves or bumps. In terms of greatest maneuverability using a drilled bar and very short skids would be the best but like the standard clamping system this also reduces cutting length.

4 post mills potentially provide the greatest stability but if they clamp direct to the bar they have the same problems as 2 post mills with wide skids. If the 2 inboard posts are connected to the saw via the bar bolts instead of standard inboard clamps some gain in cutting length is obtained. But the problem on the outboard clamps still remains.

This is why I went with 3 posts. The two inboard posts are like the GB, ie mill connected to the bar bolts. These posts are set as far back as possible so the full length of the bar can be use. At the outboard end a single nose clamp with narrow skids probides good maneuverability around objects.

Are we nit picking yet or splitting hairs yet? :rock: you bet, but isn't much of what goes on here in that category.

I won't ramble any longer its Fri. and time for a "barley pop" or two so CHEERS irishcountry

I just had a couple myself, If you have one for me, I'll have one for you
:givebeer:

Back