Scored cylinder and piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig21901

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Couldn't get the MS 290 to start the other day, so I took it to the dealer. They came back with some bad news - scored cylinder and piston and said it was not worth fixing (supposedly a victim of running it lean). I've since done some research and see that some folks have performed these fixes and was hoping for some advice on who in my area can do this work and about how much it will cost since I don't have the skills to do it myself. Just hate seeing the saw sitting there collecting dust since its relatively new and I'd hate to give it away on Craigslist. I'm now a firm believer in motomix by the way! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Couldn't get the MS 290 to start the other day, so I took it to the dealer. They came back with some bad news - scored cylinder and piston and said it was not worth fixing (supposedly a victim of running it lean). I've since done some research and see that some folks have performed these fixes and was hoping for some advice on who in my area can do this work and about how much it will cost since I don't have the skills to do it myself. Just hate seeing the saw sitting there collecting dust since its relatively new and I'd hate to give it away on Craigslist. I'm now a firm believer in motomix by the way! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can't help you there but can tell you it isn't hard work. You can do it yourself, if you want to try. Do a search of Ms290 repairs and read up. Maybe search for a service manual.

You need to figure out why it leaned out. Do you have an air leak? Cracked fuel line?
Click on the links in my signature and it will help you with rebuilding the saw. There are 2 links down there.
Also a link to build a pressure tester to make sure the seals are good. Northwoodsaws sells pistons and seal for these cheap.
Baileys also sell a complete drop in engine to upgrade that to a 390.

Latest posts

Back