scored piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up a really nice looking Homelite EZ (an early blue one, made in 1971)

Anyway, it seemed to have decent comp, but I pulled the muffler & it had some piston & ring scoring. The rings were toast & they appeared to be on the verge of being stuck in the grooves.

the ring grooves were full of carbon & gunk, I assume from using cheap oil & or stale gas. The rest of the saw is in great shape.

I managed to clean the cyl up pretty good. I used 220 grit & scotch brite on the piston & it cleaned up OK

I have a new piston for this saw, but it is missing the pin. The pin from the scored piston fits, but seems just a tad too loose for my taste, so I think I will have to use the old one.

Anyone know whre I can get a set of rings for this & a cyl gasket ??

Id also like to replace the crank seals while it is apart.

I emailed Hawkins bros, but have not got a response yet.

Check out the pics of the piston & let me know what you think.

Scoring

I dunno. I never thought the piston being scored itself would make any difference since all the compression is really done by the rings. I think if you had a good set of rings and the cylinder wall is not scored you should be ok. If the wall is, you can probably get a machine shop to turn it. Hope it works out for ya dude...;)

Dont look too bad, it is a homelite your working with.

Were the rings stuck? Are they scored?

The blue saws, when their in good condition are some of my favorites.

RBW: yeah, the rings were scored, but not horribly. They werent completely stuck, more like all gummed up. Quite a bit of carbon in the ring lands & in the ring gap.

You wouldnt have a set of rings for this would you ??

Cosmeticly, this is a 8

I think I am going to run a 13" .325 bar on it. Its got a smaller bore than the SEZ, so I dont think it will do to hot with a 16" & 3/8

Nope, no rings.

I would like to set my SEZ up with some .250 chain, and an 8t sprocket, bet that would cut like gangbusters.:chainsaw:

Pm me if you dont find anything in the next few days. I just found an outfit out of virginia that bent over backwards getting me some 925 parts. They got me 2 rods and 2 sets of rollers for them for $46!

Even managed to find me 1 ring from a shop near by them and drove over, picked it up and shipped the same day.:clap:

If the girl on da phone would have got me 2 rings I woulda married her.:)

Back