Screw in caps verses flippy caps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How much crap have we heard about flippy caps?

Screw in caps are a pain in the but when you have to fish them out of the oil and fuel tanks.

alaska%202010%20205.jpg

These two were in the oil tank on this saw but I have removed over 30 of them from other saws in the last 15 years or so.

Pioneerguy600

I still have never owned a saw with flippys...... I have used a few on other peoples saws and they always work fine for me.

i have flippy caps on 3 of my saws and my trimmer. i love them! don't know why people hate them

Had my first ever trouble with flippy caps this weekend. Fueled up my ms260 for the first time in 18 months or so. Fuel cap went on perfectly. Every time I tipped the saw over a little fuel ran of of the tank. After opening and closing the cap 8-10 times and having the same drip I gave up and cut wood.

Do the o-rings on these things dry up??

The good news is I didn't have to pick any pieces out of the fuel/oil tanks.

Had my first ever trouble with flippy caps this weekend. Fueled up my ms260 for the first time in 18 months or so. Fuel cap went on perfectly. Every time I tipped the saw over a little fuel ran of of the tank. After opening and closing the cap 8-10 times and having the same drip I gave up and cut wood.

Do the o-rings on these things dry up??

The good news is I didn't have to pick any pieces out of the fuel/oil tanks.

I have seen a couple of the flat sealing rings shrink.

Pioneerguy600

Can`t the operators tighten/loosen these screw in caps without using a screwdriver to tighten/loosen them? Too much force required to make them leak proof?

Pioneerguy600

You would think so, but then they over tighten trying to fix leaking seal causing this problem. Easier and cheaper to fix right the first time.

How much crap have we heard about flippy caps?

Screw in caps are a pain in the but when you have to fish them out of the oil and fuel tanks.

alaska%202010%20205.jpg

These two were in the oil tank on this saw but I have removed over 30 of them from other saws in the last 15 years or so.

Pioneerguy600

Flippy caps, screw in caps, it just the mix port and bar oil port. Unless you have to put a cork in it, whats the big deal. I have spares for most of my saws except for the old ones.

:deadhorse:

Flippy caps, screw in caps, it just the mix port and bar oil port. Unless you have to put a cork in it, whats the big deal. I have spares for most of my saws except for the old ones.

:deadhorse:

I have seen far more broken screw in caps than broken or mal functioning flippy caps, it just seems that neither cap is all that well designed or made if you need a screwdriver or other tool to insert into the cap and crank it on or off. Myself ,..on my saws I prefer the flippy caps, haven`t had one fail yet and no problems getting them in or out. I have seen a couple with leaking washers, so I just replace them, they are not really too pricey and the rubber washers can be replaced on the flippys even cheaper.

Pioneerguy600

Jerry - were you thinking about putting flippy caps on your P-62? :cheers:

Jacob,..I never had to use a tool to open or close a Pioneer cap on any model saw ever. This tool requiring phenomenon for caps seems to be for mostly newer designed saws. Don`t think I will ever see a flippy on a Pioneer....LOL
Pioneerguy600

I have seen far more broken screw in caps than broken or mal functioning flippy caps, it just seems that neither cap is all that well designed or made if you need a screwdriver or other tool to insert into the cap and crank it on or off. Myself ,..on my saws I prefer the flippy caps, haven`t had one fail yet and no problems getting them in or out. I have seen a couple with leaking washers, so I just replace them, they are not really too pricey and the rubber washers can be replaced on the flippys even cheaper.

Pioneerguy600

I'm gonna put flippy caps on my pa in laws XL-12. That will drive him nuts.
Course I won't be able to come around his house much anymore.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Jacob,..I never had to use a tool to open or close a Pioneer cap on any model saw ever. This tool requiring phenomenon for caps seems to be for mostly newer designed saws. Don`t think I will ever see a flippy on a Pioneer....LOL
Pioneerguy600

Or a real Homelite or McCulloch or Clinton or Lancaster or Strunk or Mall. HMMMMMMMMMMMM, do I see a pattern here?

Or a real Homelite or McCulloch or Clinton or Lancaster or Strunk or Mall. HMMMMMMMMMMMM, do I see a pattern here?

Them old saws didn`t need tools to remove their caps, the caps were big enough to get your fingers on to apply enough force to remove/ replace them without using things that overtighten them.

Pioneerguy600

if the cap seals dry out or shrink try rubbing a little transmission fluid on them if you have some around and dont want to be bothered with going out to find the right seal.

I have the proper degrees to operate both types.

I have had two flippy caps fail on me since I bought my new backpack blower. You have to slide the black ring with a screw driver because it doesn't by itself when turning the flippy. Kinda frustrating at times. Guess I got some from a bad batch.

I have had two flippy caps fail on me since I bought my new backpack blower. You have to slide the black ring with a screw driver because it doesn't by itself when turning the flippy. Kinda frustrating at times. Guess I got some from a bad batch.

You can get replacements from your dealer for less than$8., ..I have also heard that there is a new upgraded cap avaliable.

Pioneerguy600

Back