Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, I had a tornado go through here last fall, I have a LOT more tree's twisted and down than is in those picts, (as in acres and acres of mess) and it sure isn't "heaven" to me!!

SR

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
What kind of wood is that Spike?

What I cut today, and most of what you see is ash. The other stump that the cookies were cut from was a nice size hickory, which of course I made sure to grab first. There's also a huge red oak a little further back. I'm gonna be playing there for a good while yet :)

mainewoods

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, I had a tornado go through here last fall, I have a LOT more tree's twisted and down than is in those picts, (as in acres and acres of mess) and it sure isn't "heaven" to me!!

SR

Sawyer Rob: I am sure that no one meant to imply that a storm wrecking havoc and endangering lives was something anyone wished for, especially a tornado. To me the term "heaven", in Spikes case, meant he had a nice wood lot with beautiful wood on it to harvest. The damage was already done, and looking at the positive side of things, as a gatherer of firewood, it just meant that something good could come out of a bad situation. Sorry you had to experience a tornado and the awful damage they cause. I can only imagine how terrible it was. No making light of any tornado experience intended.

Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for that Maine...

I probably need to clarify my last post too... When you guys see images like these,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

You think it's heaven to go out and cut wood. All I see is MORE work and destruction! Sure the firewood is nice, but I don't find all the work much fun at all! lol To make things go a bit faster I did buy this FX90,

standard.jpg

And I'm buying a new splitter with 4 way wedge SOON too...

BTW, I haven't even got to my big woods yet!

SR

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
SawyerRob, I understand your point of view for sure. Certainly don't wish any hardship on anyone from serious storms. But like Clint said, Mother Nature set the table with a wood opportunity and it's better to harvest it than let it rot.

Yup, there's some work involved. But I like the fact that harvesting that wood is a little more of a technical project than just cutting a log that's on the ground. You need a plan of attack to tackle a mess like that. A lot of the cuts require a little thought as opposed to just blasting away, so it makes it a little more interesting to me and I'm enjoying it as I go.

stihly dan

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here is a pic of my scrounge pile so far this year.
Don't ask where all the trees are. There are none. I scrounge my trees from town.

View attachment 340297 View attachment 340298

Never in my life have I seen in person a stretch of land that I could not see a tree, or see that far. I don't think I have ever been further than 100 yards away from a tree.

3000 FPS

3000 FPS

Dirt Roads are fine by me.
. AS Supporting Member.
Never in my life have I seen in person a stretch of land that I could not see a tree, or see that far. I don't think I have ever been further than 100 yards away from a tree.

It is different and not for everyone that is for sure. What I like is I can see a storm coming in from 200 miles away and on a clear day which is quite common here I can see the Rocky Mountains which is also close to 200 miles away. This is where my wife is from and I have now retired here. There is a lot of area here just like this. Rolling hills of nothing but grass lands and sage brush. It is amazing how much wild life live here. The Antelope population for example is about 650,000 for the state of Wyoming. The Human population is about 500,000.

Latest posts