Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My around the house scrounging setup.

One of the 7900's, 394, and the Fiskars.

I can tackle anything already down with this setup.

IMG_0670640x480.jpg

A little more drivel.

I forget a lot in here are not feeding a boiler.

SO, a big saw might be a touch overkill if you are feeding a firebox that handles 18" wood.

BUT you can buck smaller sections of a large tree to suit your needs.

I had a few sections of BIG pine that would not budge to the Fiskars so I noodled them today. I got 20 quarters out of those sections and this is an average of the quarters.

E4286641-CBCF-44D5-A38C-356605208F4F_zpsnq7qrar5.jpg

For someone with an in house stove, this is a lot of wood.

As Mainewoods mentioned, a big saw can get one a lot of primo wood that the "average" scrounger would pass up because of size.

Again, my .02

Wow, that seems like a great price - barely pay gas and wear and tear on his vehicle. How long does he leave it with you to fill for that kind of money and have you ever had anyone raid your dumpster stash while it's being filled when you're not there? Around here on crown land, 'some' of the other scroungers would think it was all being prepared so nicely just for them to take at will o_O

I ask him how long he has a spare dumpster to leave on site. If he needs it back fast then I fill it fast. The guy lives 8 doors down the road from me so him dumping it of my yard isn't out of the way for him. Its a pretty good arrangement. If one of his drivers has to go get it he would charge me more. And no I've never had a problem with wood thieves. I cut on private property, and also make it a point to not put it near the road.

Around here when there are tops that are around for every one, its a free for all. I wouldn't even think of doing this in such an area. Asplundh just went through my area clearing right of ways and you should see the crowds gathering wood. Funny thing is, they are fighting for the heavy trunks, and I went in after the crowds and gathered 2 pick-up loads 3 to 8 inch rounds laying with in 30 feet of the truck. And there is more where that all came from.

Still to muddy to scrounge wood go into the woods, im been dealing with the amish sawmill here and can usually get a bundle of seasoned hardwood slabs around 10-15$
if you know a little german like me i can get them a little cheaper.

A little more drivel.

I forget a lot in here are not feeding a boiler.

SO, a big saw might be a touch overkill if you are feeding a firebox that handles 18" wood.

BUT you can buck smaller sections of a large tree to suit your needs.

I had a few sections of BIG pine that would not budge to the Fiskars so I noodled them today. I got 20 quarters out of those sections and this is an average of the quarters.

E4286641-CBCF-44D5-A38C-356605208F4F_zpsnq7qrar5.jpg

For someone with an in house stove, this is a lot of wood.

As Mainewoods mentioned, a big saw can get one a lot of primo wood that the "average" scrounger would pass up because of size.

Again, my .02

Perfect blocks for my furnace , I'll be right over LOL
Vibes , you suck with that deal .......

That looks like scrounger heaven to me. No snow on the ground- crushed gravel access - good drainage. Don't get much better than that!

I have hauled a lot wood with one of these garden carts. Very stable on rough ground, balance is excellent and you can haul quite a load of wood with it once you learn where the balance point is. Much easier than a wheel barrow. garden cart.jpg

I think I'll pull the trigger on it thanks for the help

Keep it sharp and split inside a tire or you can get sorry!

I would also grab a can of this dry teflon spray lube they have at home depot PB brand, just to help keep the factory teflon blade coating intact.

for the money, fiskars are great!

I was at bj's getting some groceries and sure enough they had a display of x27s by the patios chairs 49.99 I picked one up and came right home and split a wheel barrow load of ash with it it works great thanks for the input

Tire splitting is the way to go but on the ground , you don't want the bounce from a pallet , if you get a round that's not splitting easy , drive that SS or maul on one side , leave it in and drive you maul or SS in the crack that you've opened up :)

Uh, tulip poplar (liriodendron tulipifera) is NOT a poplar. Cottonwood is.

Well, it ain't a tulip neither...and neither is a cottonwood cotton, so let's call that something else...err..who cares..

notice I didn't say popple....

I have no idea why things are named the way they are, other than "they are".

I'll stop saying tulip poplar when everyone else stops saying "cotton" wood.

Wait, how about dogwood..cat tails...and locust? Some folks got flying trees that eat other plants??? Oop, breakfast time, now for a nice glass of osage orange juice....crabgrass? As in good boiled with melted butter?? Ad why so many people take douglas firs? Did he give them permission?

Got this nasty weed here I try to control called a corn buttercup..not corn, not butter, not a cup....hmmm

language is funny..so is IDing species off of pics....

gotta go split me up some ranked up standing pulp farmer's face bushrick quordes here...

Back