Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A man with a big saw might seem to have some kind of an advantage when it comes to scrounging wood. He will take big stuff where others, with small saws, would pass. But the tendency seems to be that the guy with the big saw passes on the small wood also. A wise man has saws for both occasions, or the willingness to take the small wood with the big wood. If someone is a scrounger of firewood, restricting ones self to what you will, and won't take, seems to defeat the whole purpose of scrounging.

I tend to lean more toward thinking that "a wise man" knows his own needs and limits and acts accordingly, regardless of what others might believe is in his best interests. Just sayin'...

A man with a big saw might seem to have some kind of an advantage when it comes to scrounging wood. He will take big stuff where others, with small saws, would pass. But the tendency seems to be that the guy with the big saw passes on the small wood also. A wise man has saws for both occasions, or the willingness to take the small wood with the big wood. If someone is a scrounger of firewood, restricting ones self to what you will, and won't take, seems to defeat the whole purpose of scrounging.

I go with an 026 & 028 Super both with 16" bars an MS310 with 390 kit 20" bar and an 064 with a 32" bar. I tend to grab the small stuff first as the bigger stuff will probably still be there when I come back.

Rain tomorrow so an after supper scrounge .

IMG_20140314_190852.jpg

My snow is melting fast but I hope the sled will have at least one more go .

A wise man has saws for both occasions, or the willingness to take the small wood with the big wood. If someone is a scrounger of firewood, restricting ones self to what you will, and won't take, seems to defeat the whole purpose of scrounging.

The only restriction I work under now is can I lift it into my truck and trailer without noodling it first or hammering my back :eek:
This is the first year I've ever had to think about my back holding up. Started to get sore after I got 10 cords into the shed.
This aging deal is for the birds.

The only restriction I work under now is can I lift it into my truck and trailer without noodling it first or hammering my back :eek:
This is the first year I've ever had to think about my back holding up. Started to get sore after I got 10 cords into the shed.
This aging deal is for the birds.

Seems the smaller wood looks better and better every year. Scrounging is tough enough without adding the age factor to it.:D

I didn't read this whole thread and if this was mentioned already I apologize, but I have a guy who runs a garbage and container service who lives close by. When I get a good cutting area with lots of wood there, I'll have him drop off the medium sized dumpster. I'm not sure the cubic feet of one, (I'll have to measure one sometime) but I'll go there to cut and bring home a load each time in the pick-up, and slowly fill the dumpster. I'll cover when done and give him a call when filled. He charged me $75 the last time I did this, and it was a 20 mile round trip. Well worth that amount of money and saving the where and tear on my truck.

I'll cover when done and give him a call when filled. He charged me $75 the last time I did this, and it was a 20 mile round trip. Well worth that amount of money and saving the where and tear on my truck.

Wow, that seems like a great price - barely pay gas and wear and tear on his vehicle. How long does he leave it with you to fill for that kind of money and have you ever had anyone raid your dumpster stash while it's being filled when you're not there? Around here on crown land, 'some' of the other scroungers would think it was all being prepared so nicely just for them to take at will o_O

I will have to agree on having a larger saw. My 395XP with 32" bar has come in handy. Not only can I cut up the larger trees that most people won't touch, It also makes quick work of cutting the large rounds into more manageable size pieces. This tree is sitting at the city green dump just waiting for me go after. It is too big for most guys, this one is maybe too big for me. That is a 257 with a 20" bar sitting on top of it for reference only. I did end up with what is in the trailer. I took a load of garbage to the dump and brought back a nice load of plum, honey locust, and a few other odds and ends. Not bad for about 45 minutes worth of work. I was able to just back up to this wood. I always take the saw when I take a load to the dump, you never know what you might find.

View attachment 337030 View attachment 337031 View attachment 337032
one way or the other,,that tree would come out of there!!!!!

Ding, ding, ding, and ding.

The right tools for the majority of the occasions along with a few bucking wedges.

If it is a large tree and you have both small and large saws, you will take the whole tree. As opposed to small saw and just the smaller diameter wood.

Buck the big pieces and then noodle into a manageable size.

I would be more than content if my only saws were the 394 and Dolmar 510.

When I have gone scrounging tops piles in areas after the logging crews have left, I just take the 510.

Out into the unknown behind the house after Sugar Maple blowdowns, everything goes.

Yeah, I've thought about it more times than I should, knowing that I won't likely ever do it. I cut wood for my own personal use only and just because I enjoy it. I have a "nice little" Dolmar 460, which is pretty good for a consumer/weekend wood warrior, compared to the box store brands I usually see others using. I so rarely come across the need for something bigger, though I realize it's often as much about want, as it is real need.

If I could come across as great of a deal as I've seen some on AS claim to find, I might jump on it, but I can't justify the money for a new really big / high-end saw when I only use it to cut 2-3 full cords worth each year.
what length bar now??? you can run a quite bit longer bar,,running skip chain......

what length bar now??? you can run a quite bit longer bar,,running skip chain......

I have a stock 18" bar that I got with it when I first bought the saw. My dealer is a real stick in the mud and all but refused to sell me what he considered "too large" a bar for "too large" a saw for my purposes. He wanted me to buy a smaller saw or stick with the 16" bar that came with the PS-460. I see in Dolmar's literature that they recommend up to a 20" bar, but the extra 2" probably won't make as much difference as I'm looking for. I also saw a bar guide that showed a 24" for it, but everything else says 20". In your experience, how large would you put in front of a stock 45.6 cc PS-460? I've taken about all the wood I can get from a few elm's nearby, but my 18" bar presents a real challenge trying to get through the remaining trunks that are about 3-1/2' across. That'll be more like whittling than cutting, but I really don't want to leave it behind...

I swung by his place yesterday to price out new saws, as I've had no luck finding anything used that's larger that I could trust. When I asked about the 7900, he actually laughed and asked "why in the world do you think you need that kind of saw?" To which I responded, "the same reason people usually buy sports cars, or boats, or jet skis, or snow mobiles. Just because I wan't it whether I buy it here or somewhere else." He said "no problem" and pulled out his catalog. He really is an a$$ and I have no idea why I keep going to him, other than his wife is the polar opposite of him and a real pleasure to deal with.

I certainly don't need a 7900 and am not even sure I want one, but the 6400 sure looks encouraging. His rep is coming in on Monday and he's gonna see if there are any deals coming up he can pass on. I'm still not sure I'm going to plunk down that much green, but I'd sure have fun with it, if I do... Until something else catches my eye... lol

I have a stock 18" bar that I got with it when I first bought the saw. My dealer is a real stick in the mud and all but refused to sell me what he considered "too large" a bar for "too large" a saw for my purposes. He wanted me to buy a smaller saw or stick with the 16" bar that came with the PS-460. I see in Dolmar's literature that they recommend up to a 20" bar, but the extra 2" probably won't make as much difference as I'm looking for. I also saw a bar guide that showed a 24" for it, but everything else says 20". In your experience, how large would you put in front of a stock 45.6 cc PS-460? I've taken about all the wood I can get from a few elm's nearby, but my 18" bar presents a real challenge trying to get through the remaining trunks that are about 3-1/2' across. That'll be more like whittling than cutting, but I really don't want to leave it behind...

I swung by his place yesterday to price out new saws, as I've had no luck finding anything used that's larger that I could trust. When I asked about the 7900, he actually laughed and asked "why in the world do you think you need that kind of saw?" To which I responded, "the same reason people usually buy sports cars, or boats, or jet skis, or snow mobiles. Just because I wan't it whether I buy it here or somewhere else." He said "no problem" and pulled out his catalog. He really is an a$$ and I have no idea why I keep going to him, other than his wife is the polar opposite of him and a real pleasure to deal with.

I certainly don't need a 7900 and am not even sure I want one, but the 6400 sure looks encouraging. His rep is coming in on Monday and he's gonna see if there are any deals coming up he can pass on. I'm still not sure I'm going to plunk down that much green, but I'd sure have fun with it, if I do... Until something else catches my eye... lol

Stick with the bar you have on the 460.

Personally, I would skip the 6400/7900 and go to the next level. Meaning Stihl 660 or Husky 385+ with a BIG bar.

I had the 6400 with a 20" bar and now have 2 7900's with 24" bars. Are they great, yes.

BUT, they are no 394 with a 32" bar.

A big saw balances wonderfully with a big bar. Plus you have the a*s to handle pretty much whatever you encounter.

My 394 is a peach to operate and is my favorite saw. It is the one that has been getting used the most over the last year.

My Dolmar dealer is also kinda old school and initially got a kick out my saws but now understands the purposes a large saw serves. He gets it.

The 7900's and the 394 dwarf everything that comes through his shop. When I take chains in for squaring away, mine are the only ones that never have a name tag on them. No one around here runs loops that large.

I got my 394 from the classifieds here and I would suggest keeping an eyeball out there for a deal. I have seen a lot of good saws both stock and modded from reputable members in there and that's where I would watch first.

Just my .02

Stick with the bar you have on the 460.

Personally, I would skip the 6400/7900 and go to the next level. Meaning Stihl 660 or Husky 385+ with a BIG bar.

I had the 6400 with a 20" bar and now have 2 7900's with 24" bars. Are they great, yes.

BUT, they are no 394 with a 32" bar.

A big saw balances wonderfully with a big bar. Plus you have the a*s to handle pretty much whatever you encounter.

My 394 is a peach to operate and is my favorite saw. It is the one that has been getting used the most over the last year.

My Dolmar dealer is also kinda old school and initially got a kick out my saws but now understands the purposes a large saw serves. He gets it.

The 7900's and the 394 dwarf everything that comes through his shop. When I take chains in for squaring away, mine are the only ones that never have a name tag on them. No one around here runs loops that large.

I got my 394 from the classifieds here and I would suggest keeping an eyeball out there for a deal. I have seen a lot of good saws both stock and modded from reputable members in there and that's where I would watch first.

Just my .02

394 is a serious mambo saw. Got mine off the classifieds here as well.

Latest posts

Back