Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I came into some free wood a couple years ago when I first moved into my new house which has a TARM wood fired boiler. I became a bit of a wood whore right off the bat. I Have access to a couple bobcats and a dump trailer. I hauled logs that are 6"-24" across to my house and pulled them up. I split about 6 cords of this free wood last year and I'm burning it this year.

So not knowing what I had, knowing it was a mix of oak and poplar and other soft woods I started burning it this year and I'm burning a ton of it. Compared to year earlier when I burned pure oak.

I hate to waste wood. But I hate to spend the time to split and stack three year old poplar.

What do you think?

I have a lot left to cut and split and I considering just using it for fire pit wood since it's mostly soft wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I came into some free wood a couple years ago when I first moved into my new house which has a TARM wood fired boiler. I became a bit of a wood whore right off the bat. I Have access to a couple bobcats and a dump trailer. I hauled logs that are 6"-24" across to my house and pulled them up. I split about 6 cords of this free wood last year and I'm burning it this year.

So not knowing what I had, knowing it was a mix of oak and poplar and other soft woods I started burning it this year and I'm burning a ton of it. Compared to year earlier when I burned pure oak.

I hate to waste wood. But I hate to spend the time to split and stack three year old poplar.

What do you think?

I have a lot left to cut and split and I considering just using it for fire pit wood since it's mostly soft wood.

Do you have access to enough higher BTU wood that you can toss the low end stuff off to the side?

I've been burning Aspen for several years just to get rid of it. I'm on my last batch this year and then focus on the good stuff. If I was you I'd just process what you have and then only gather better stuff.

Dan, if your rifle is a model "F", that is the featherweight, it will have a full forearm, but is lightened and the butt has two extra holes bored in it to light it, under the butt plate. They are nice but tend to kick rather sharply. The 308 also came in an "EG" with the schnable forearm, an "R" that has the full forearm but heavy barrel, and is much heavier, and a "DL" that has a Monte Carlo butt stock, Joe.

What do you think?

I find that poplar burns ok for me if cut one year and burned the next. After a couple years it seems to lose btu's. lol. Maybe I'm crazy but it seems that way. When I come across it, I split and sell it as campfire wood for 60 per facecord and buy myself something pretty with the !

I have about a half cord of poplar left and I'm burning it as fast as I can just so I can say it's gone. I have 20 logs sitting there but they will be going for campfire wood. I can't wait to only burn ash in my owb.
I have three cords split, probably five more in rounds and about a half dozen trees left to cut down around the yard and I'll finally be ahead of those buggers. At least until the next wind storm.

Some nice 99s you got there. Reminds me of the collection of 95s my Uncle used to have 405, carbine, take down, and his favorite hunting gun was a 30-40 with the 28" barrel.

My prized possession is a Model 71 deluxe in 348. Took my 1st 3 deer with it, till my eyes started to go and I needed a gun with a scope.

I have three cords split, probably five more in rounds and about a half dozen trees left to cut down around the yard and I'll finally be ahead of those buggers. At least until the next wind storm.
How bad is poplar as a wood stove fire wood. I have mostly oak ash and some locust for fire wood but could get tons of poplar if I wanted it. I always turn it down due to the better options at hand. May have to take one now and then if I can sell it to the campers at the state park.

I burn popular, pine, and anything else that will keep the house warm. It all gets mixed in the stacks and I just burn it when I come to it. Got a wood pecker killed whitepine and a couple of jack pines the power company took down next to my house. I'll buck them into firewood and burn them in a year or two.

How bad is poplar as a wood stove fire wood. I have mostly oak ash and some locust for fire wood but could get tons of poplar if I wanted it. I always turn it down due to the better options at hand. May have to take one now and then if I can sell it to the campers at the state park.
GoFer wood. Fill the stove and go for more wood. I heated a couple seasons with it and didn't freeze to death. Getting up in the middle of a short night's sleep to scoop ashes and fill the stove all winter long wore on me. The stove would go 8 hours easily filled with oak.

Since I don't have any more room in the woodshed, I have wood sitting around outside at the moment. Technically there's some space in the bay in the shed for this coming winter but I want to burn the wood that's in there already (some lower quality stuff there) so no point putting more wood in front of it. I scrounged up two long pallets that some equipment came on at work. I'm not sure if it counts as a scrounge because I bought the equipment 9 years ago and the pallets have been sitting out the back in the rain, slowly decomposing and forgotten about ever since. Are scrounges time-sensitive? However, with a few bricks shoved into the saggy bits and four star pickets each, I now have two wood racks measuring 1.4m x 3.0m x 0.65m = 0.7 cord each or so.

View attachment 556610

This wood is peppermint that I brought home before Christmas that looked a bit ratty and termitey but with some drying time and having had the termites picked out by the meat ants it actually now looks pretty good.

View attachment 556613

:)

Meat ants?

Do you live in Darwins laboratory?

Sent from a field

GoFer wood. Fill the stove and go for more wood. I heated a couple seasons with it and didn't freeze to death. Getting up in the middle of a short night's sleep to scoop ashes and fill the stove all winter long wore on me. The stove would go 8 hours easily filled with oak.
Kind figured I'd get a response along this line. Might grab one and see if the yuppies at the camp ground will buy. Could be easy money never know till I try it. With oak ash and maple farely easy to get around here most people look down on it as heating wood here too.

Thing about cutting and splitting poplar is, it's the same amount of work as ash, maple, beech.... its tough to want to fool with poplar. Only time I get it is when one of my farmer friends has one they want taken down. When someone local offers free wood, I don't turn my nose up at it because the next tree could be a good one, and usually is. I have some poplar mixed in with my heating wood. No more than one piece in five. Same with Manitoba maple (box elder) which is common around here. Although contrary to what the btu's charts indicate, I find it a decent burning wood that coals well. Lot of Manitoba maples are twisty grained and tough to split so the free wood isn't always a blessing. A large noodled chunk makes for a nice overnighter in my stove.

A lot of so called wouldbe firewood snobs. There are a lot of woods i would choose over popular, my area is blessed with many species of oaks. If I go to get woods and there are two trees to take, but I can only haul one tree worth, I would take the oak over the popular every time. Now if I am allowed to take two loads and one is oak and the other is popular, then I will take both of them. Right now, popular is provideing what heat I need. Supposed to get to 69f today. If I fill the stove with oak, it will run me out of the house. Fill it with popular and it puts out a lot of heat for a short period of time. It heats the house fast and burns out fast. I have been building a new fire just about every morning. I go down to the stove about 5am, build a hot fire to knock the chill off and then let it die out during the day. Popular works very good for this. It easy to start, burns hot and last just long enough to heat the house without getting it so hot I have to open windows and doors. If theres better wood to scroung, I will take it first, but I wont pass up popular because its not as good as other wood sources. Even popular beats trying to heat with snowballs.

Back