Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning a coworker asked if I could take 3 oak trees that a tree service will be cutting down today. Of course I will! The first load today was just the tops. I have 3 60 ft stems to get on Friday/Saturday. This green stuff is Heavy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 53
More scrounging tools , just gotta save up a bit .

IMG_20141009_181750.jpg

Built very thick and sturdy .

Those sleds are out of stock on several sites,including Amazon. Looks like they are quite popular. Amazon doesn't know when, or if, they will be in stock again.

If anyone on this thread is interested, I posted pics of my dog Thor (who passed last year) and my wife on top of S. Mt. Beacon, with a view of the Beacon - Newburg Bridge on the thread Who Locks Up Their Saws post # 67.

Nice family shot, Mike. I bet you miss him a lot. M.mikes dog and wife.JPG

Yea Clint, he was one of those special ones, he had judgement, he was almost like an extension of you. And he came from the Humane Society, was classified as one of their bad boys! But there was never a child that dog did not like.

I knew he was special when I was walking him (he still was not ours) and I spotted 3 deer. I knelled down next to him and whispered to him to watch the deer. He sat down & watched them. When they moved, he got up and walked till he could see them again, then sat again. He knew I wanted to watch them. He did it 3 times. I already knew I liked him, but after that I begged my wife for us to get him.

Yea Clint, he was one of those special ones, he had judgement, he was almost like an extension of you. And he came from the Humane Society, was classified as one of their bad boys! But there was never a child that dog did not like.

I knew he was special when I was walking him (he still was not ours) and I spotted 3 deer. I knelled down next to him and whispered to him to watch the deer. He sat down & watched them. When they moved, he got up and walked till he could see them again, then sat again. He knew I wanted to watch them. He did it 3 times. I already knew I liked him, but after that I begged my wife for us to get him.

Nice story Mike ... sounds like a very special friend. They just don't live long enough!
We've had several great dogs over the years -- my kids bought me a shirt for xmas that had a picture of my latest pal that recently passed on
- below the photo it says "be the person your dog thinks you are" :) .... I think that about sums up their incredible devotion.

Great score Axfarmer.
Happy it's raining today, yesterday I noodled most of the 30" maple I got from the neighbor last week.
I was sure glad I had help rolling them rounds onto the truck, wet rock maple.
I was so fagged it was an effort to bag the noodles, I use them for kindling, makes for a fast fire.
Twist up some news paper, cover with noodles and couple pine splits, instant fire. oops forgot the match.
Now I have to split all that heavy maple and stack it, then it canbe called firewood.
I sure do like your trailer, mine is only rated for 1000#, use it to haul the ATV, even if I had a big trailer,
I could never back it up, never could backup, I just grab it and honk it around, works for me.

FREDM. Oxford

Hope Zogger likes this. ( :)

Great score Axfarmer.
Happy it's raining today, yesterday I noodled most of the 30" maple I got from the neighbor last week.
I was sure glad I had help rolling them rounds onto the truck, wet rock maple.
I was so fagged it was an effort to bag the noodles, I use them for kindling, makes for a fast fire.
Twist up some news paper, cover with noodles and couple pine splits, instant fire. oops forgot the match.
Now I have to split all that heavy maple and stack it, then it canbe called firewood.
I sure do like your trailer, mine is only rated for 1000#, use it to haul the ATV, even if I had a big trailer,
I could never back it up, never could backup, I just grab it and honk it around, works for me.

FREDM. Oxford

Hope Zogger likes this. ( :)

Of course I do! HAHAHAHA! We need to get you some backin up lessons! Here, try this, turn around, look over your shoulder. Grab the wheel at 6 o clock, dead bottom, turn the direction you want the trailer to go.

Ax , you suck ..... And I mean that with respect LOL

It was a good day here , perfect fall weather but I couldn't believe that blackflies were out LOL , burnt 2 tanks dropping pecker poles and pencils , mostly oak , maple and 3 pfffftfir .
Got fed some awesome samiches and homemade muffins for dessert :)
Was supposed to have a friends truck and trailer so I could bring everthing home but ...
Hope to get there tomorrow and pick up a load of wood , the ef2fiddy and trailer didn't happen today but it's just as well because it it gave me more time to drop anything the owner wanted down , polly got 3 cord , not great wood but I'm happy because it's way better than pallets .
Even had a few leaners that the homeowner wanted down , they were leaning towards his powerlines , most weren't very big but any tree and lecticity are just not a very good combo . He wanted them down and said it would be all at his risk so I rigged up and he pulled .

IMG_20141011_134935.jpg

IMG_20141011_135041.jpg

IMG_20141011_140637.jpg

We did 4 like that and all went according to how the manual said it would work :)
Even this one followed the instructions in the book .

IMG_20141011_144129.jpg

But it did have a pucker factor because of this .

IMG_20141011_144131.jpg

I'm glad I did have the utv because all the rigging stuff wouldn't have been transferred into a borrowed truck so I would have been there with a half naked feeling LOL
Snatch blocks and tree straps make for more handy scroungin tools , the block I used today is a 4ton that I bought at princess auto which is like your northern tool , all of 25$ on sale , a cheap and handy tool :)

20141011_170552.jpg Took the big girl out bow hunting today, 5:00 rolls around. I whisper to her to be ready because this is when the deer are going to start getting active. She gave me a "yeah right" look. About 10 minutes later, I can here something behind us but can't see anything. I wisper that its probably a squirrel but she corrects me and informs me its a doe. Its the damn Albino deer that I promised her I would never shoot. But deer number two is a buck, number three and four are two more doe's. My attention is locked onto the buck, he is just a scraggly four pointer, but hey its a buck and Im out here with my big girl. Two minutes feels like two hours as I try my best not to have a heart attack because the deer is walking straight at us. He made a 90* turn and headed right to us! I panic and figure I need to draw my bow before he gets too close. I did know that all the deer were staring right at us but walking towards us? Crazy right?!? Well when I draw my bow, they all take off running. My big girl, informs me that after how many times I tell her she is not allowed to move, Im the one who scares them off. Oh well, made a good memory for her, it was VERY exciting for her to see the deer out in the wild.

Back