Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made the most out of my borrowed 27T DHT today. About 3 cords. Didn't get a picture of the 20"+ Norway rounds I worked on for a while (with the splitter in vertical position). I'm going to go back and quarter them with the sledge and wedge and finish the job with the splitter. Just too big to horse around on a hillside.

Will say that splitter is virtually unstoppable.

Did about an hour of trimming grass and unwanted raspberry bushes around my cabin until I ran out of blades for the Rhino cutting head.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Lot of wood, you a busy boy SVK!

Me..I putz, I admit it, about all I can do, but I get some stuff done. Fixed one weedwhacker for the boss, sharpened some chains, walked the dogs, stared at my lineup, next trees to work on. I have hundreds either marked or I remember them. Been raining off and on, getting muddy. Have to switch from working the bottom field edges to..elsewhere soon..

Tomorrow though doing something important, see how big the bass have gotten on the bluegills this summer....

I spent a few hours at my wood source today and added to the pile a bit of 2 yr old oak. The rounds with the gaff marks were dropped a few days ago. The property owner gave me another bunch of nice wood that was dropped today! Huge oak and several black birch. I will be hauling for the next few weeks!image.jpg

I was able to borrow this from a friend today .

1413122362025.jpg

So ................ Mechanization !

1413123685489.jpg

Off to test out the RonCo Lh 1.o !

IMG_20141012_134831.jpg

Getting a load .

IMG_20141012_145234.jpg

Another one on the way to the trailer .

IMG_20141012_132130.jpg

Some more .

IMG_20141012_144601.jpg

The atv came with a gun holder , makes for a perfect chainsaw holder :)

IMG_20141012_144621.jpg

Brought 1 1/4 cord home today , the homeowner was impressed with how well the trailer worked and I was happy that the atv and trailer just worked lol .

IMG_20141012_154139.jpg

It was a good day , scrounge on gentleman !

By hand Clint , the winch is to follow ....
It's not that bad with the bigger ones I had today , just get one end on a bunk and then the other .
Now , if I had the stuff that some have been posting it would have an electric winch or sides and a floor because I'd junk , split and load LOL

To be honest I am uncertain that the pivot points will stand up to similar abuse long.

The pivot points are 7k tandem trailer axle pivots , I'm only hauling with an atv , 1ooo lbs is what some of the store bought trailers are rated for and I can tell you that 1000 lbs or more will push you around with ease , if I was making this to haul a ton or more , there would be some design changes .
If the fail for what I do , I'll rebuild , that's how I'll learn :)

The pivot points are 7k tandem trailer axle pivots , I'm only hauling with an atv , 1ooo lbs is what some of the store bought trailers are rated for and I can tell you that 1000 lbs or more will push you around with ease , if I was making this to haul a ton or more , there would be some design changes .
If the fail for what I do , I'll rebuild , that's how I'll learn :)

Looks like it worked pretty good Dan.

Maybe just break out the welder and flat stock to do some reinforcing by tying multiple pieces together instead of their welds alone where they contact.

ETA - If my memory serves me correct that atv is a 300 Suzuki, correct?

15 speeds? 5 hi, 5 low, and 5 super low? Along with 2wd, 4wd, and 4 locked?

If so, that little wheeler is one of the most underrated work horses ever. A perfect perfect fit for your log hauler. That little rascal will pull whatever you hook up to it. It is an utter tractor in super low.

I had the Arctic Cat counterpart. Fantastic wheeler.

It's gonna get a piece of square tubing directly underneath the beam after I straighten it back out , I'm pretty sure it's the wall of the square tubing that bulged because the C channel cross pieces are still straight and my welds didn't break .

0825131552.jpg Hey Dancan, A millermatic and a cheap-o trailer work wonders too. Spent 25 minutes with the mig welder making this tin box solid and she is ready to put in some real work. Poor Honda riding mower HATES going in the woods, but with the four wheeler not playing along right now, the Honda has gotta pull the slack, hehehehe.

Yup benp , 2wd , 4wd , front diff lock , high , low and super low :)
It only has brakes on 1 front wheel so my first run down to the trailer with a load had my eyes open because it was on a fair angle but in 4wd , super low and 1st gear it was just a nice and slow leisurely drive .
Matt , the homeowner uses his JD rideon all over his property , says he gets stuck at least 4 times a weak lol

My friend Harold & I spend Fri, Sat & Sunday working on the new cabin, unfortunately, no time to cut anything, but we are making progress on the cabin. Good thing Harold knows what the heck he is doing, because to get chainsaw cut post and beam to look this good, U got to know UR stuff!

Considering we have to transport all the materials 2 mi in on a 4wd road, and the only elec is the generator, and there were just 2 of us, I think we made good progress.

All the rafters are up (store bgt 2X10X14), 8 - 10' Ash ties were made & installed (the temp 2X4 ones are still up), we put up scaffolding on both sides (our walls are 12' high), and we got 2 layers of plywood up on one side of the roof and one layer on the other. Unlike the old cabin where there is no room to stand in the loft (only 8' walls), the ties are 7' high in this one.

When we finish the roof we will have to install the siding so it does not blow away. You can get some real wind up there.

Attachments

• Cabin10-12-2014 004.jpg
    Cabin10-12-2014 004.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 66
Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
I am not trying to get smart but the only place might be hard to find firewood material is maybe down town New York. People call me almost every day with trees down I can have. A guy just told me he wanted all the timber cut off his ditch so people can see his lot where he sells cars. might be a 100's of cord never get it finished in my life time. Farmers want me to clear timber away from the fields about 50 to a 100 feet. After beans and corn out perfect place to cut firewood. I just bought some land covered up with Ash and Hard Maple. If you don't ask you never know if you can have it. Was a guy down the street had a big Oak in his yard blown downEvery body said he want let you have it he burns firewood his self. I stopped and ask he said you saw split and give me a 1/3 and I help I said OK next weekend done the tree he got 2 cord I got 4 cords. Saturday and half of Sunday. I have three house trailers on the property I bought some fellows are getting them gone for the wood in them. I let them have it because I only sell firewood I don't burn it. I am gas electric or generator power

Back