Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have absolutely no experience but have heard mastermind worksaws has a good name and builds saws for work not a hotrod that will tear itself apart.

Heard the same thing. Although the video would have been better with a 28" bar in some oak. Any 70cc saw should impress with a 20" bar. But dont miss understand. I still like what I saw.

G'day fellers,

I got the word that VicRoads had been knocking a whole lot of trees over and stacking logs in piles on the side of the road on the range behind our house probly 8km away. I went and had a look. Looked ok, mostly peppermint, the odd mountain ash (another eucalypt - burns well but not the same BTUs). But there were official looking vehicles buzzing up and down and there's a bit of a question mark over the legality of roadside scrounge. It seems to be a bit of a "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound" type of situation where if it just disappears there's no problem but if you ask, they'll say no. In any case, I'd rather go and spend a few hours on the farm or in the forest rather than rocking chains on the side of the road. So I did.

Serenity shot first, nice sunny morning, not too warm.

1st Mar 3.jpg

Of course, nothing sounds like serenity more than Limby on full throttle! This peppermint forked into three long trunks after about 12 feet of single trunk.

1st Mar 1.jpg

I feel like I've been neglecting the 460 recently so I sharpened him up and let rip. I've become used to using Limby for everything and the 460 felt like a toy in comparison but it screamed through this peppermint.

1st Mar 2.jpg

There are some big rounds at the fat end that you cant see that needed the longer bar to get through so Limby put in some good work too.

1st Mar 6.jpg

A tank and a half through the 460, and a tank and a bit through Limby. Loaded up.

1st Mar 5.jpg

The trailer is holding about a third of all that I cut this morning so prolly cut a cord all up. Will need a couple more trips to get the rest - armed reconnaissance missions if you will:chainsaw:.

:)

If that were the states I would scrounge the roadside stuff & if they had a problem with it they can kick me out.

Yep, that's what I used to have to do all the time and still occasionally do. While I can cut as much as I like of the same stuff on a farm 15 mins away in peace and quiet, I'd rather do that. However, I'm hoping for a roadside red gum and grey box scrounge shortly, I'd risk 20 lashes to get a trailer load of grey box. You blokes don't know what you're missing.

Latest posts

Back