Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 561734 Scrounged up a saw blade. Going to take a hack at making a fillet knife. Now to scrounge up some wood for a handle....
My friend who is in the guards makes knives. I have a couple of worn out bars I am going to give to him when he gets home this spring.

IMG_8376.JPG IMG_8377.JPG IMG_8375.JPG Not sure if it counts as scrounging but spent today cutting outside my front door. Have been thinning consistently trying to get some more light. Used the 362 and ms250. Was fun to get the saws out and get a couple tanks through them. 362 was running like crap and I noticed the decomp was stuck in a little bit. Fixed that and the computer sorted itself out. Great smooth power rest of the day.

No more wasted wood for me. I'm going to dig them out and burn the stumps too. Actually going to use it for my logging trails because I'm tired of wrecking tires on my logging wagon. Also hope that I can use it for bucking logs, hold 2 logs and cut them to 32" for my owb. I think it might work decent for loading logs on my wagons too. I'm clearing part of a cedar bush and the soil is pretty light and gravelly so I should be able to get the stumps out easy. Bought a SS quick attach for 3 point hitch attachments too. It's the black piece just to the left of center of the picture leaning against the blade. My wife was impressed. Just missed the a root rake by 2 seconds, it's tough doing online auctions. Next sale is a month away though.
IMG_20170302_141650.jpg IMG_20170302_141705.jpg

2 craigslist scrounges that worked out. The first was almost a full load...had to cut a little but the little 192t did all the work...the other one was a full pull but the ad said "will help load with a bobcat" because the logs were cut into 6-8ft pcs. When I got there they said their bobcat was broke down and the logs were buried in mud. I had to dig them out then cut everything up to load it. Turned into a 3-hour ordeal but it was a good amount of uknown wood that seemed really hard. I couldn't fit everything I cut in the truck so I went home to unload then went back but when I got back some bottom sucker had taken the rest of the wood.

Attachments

• 20170302_130129.jpg
    20170302_130129.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 20170302_163226.jpg
    20170302_163226.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 20170302_170846.jpg
    20170302_170846.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
2 craigslist scrounges that worked out. The first was almost a full load...had to cut a little but the little 192t did all the work...the other one was a full pull but the ad said "will help load with a bobcat" because the logs were cut into 6-8ft pcs. When I got there they said their bobcat was broke down and the logs were buried in mud. I had to dig them out then cut everything up to load it. Turned into a 3-hour ordeal but it was a good amount of uknown wood that seemed really hard. I couldn't fit everything I cut in the truck so I went home to unload then went back but when I got back some bottom sucker had taken the rest of the wood.
Been there. I load as I cut, and I cut the small pieces first. Then come back for the big stuff.

No more wasted wood for me. I'm going to dig them out and burn the stumps too. Actually going to use it for my logging trails because I'm tired of wrecking tires on my logging wagon. Also hope that I can use it for bucking logs, hold 2 logs and cut them to 32" for my owb. I think it might work decent for loading logs on my wagons too. I'm clearing part of a cedar bush and the soil is pretty light and gravelly so I should be able to get the stumps out easy. Bought a SS quick attach for 3 point hitch attachments too. It's the black piece just to the left of center of the picture leaning against the blade. My wife was impressed. Just missed the a root rake by 2 seconds, it's tough doing online auctions. Next sale is a month away though.
View attachment 561893 View attachment 561894

It looks like those teeth say Pengo 230 on them, in which case they're a standard 230 series type tooth. I worked at the company that markets them, and produces Stihl's new Ice augers and earth augers as well. Unfortunately I left that company thinking I was going to be a mechanic. It's always kind of neat seeing that stuff out in the world though, instead of just in crates.

View attachment 562172 good little scrounge today I couldn't pass up, courtesy of a work buddy and evil borers. It had fell across his driveway and he had already cut it in 3-4 foot lengths and piled it beside driveway. Had it cut in manageable pieces and loaded in less than 45 mins.
The evil borers have put ALOT of wood in my yard....

IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0807.JPG Scrounged (well not really, it's leftover hardwood from when I built my house) some hard maple for the handle and give it a quick shaping and hand sand. This is after a quick dip in linseed oil that I darkened with stain. I'm going to leave it soak overnight and see what it looks like tomorrow. Then finish sharpening.

Wood Nazi, looks like a good chicken sticking knife. My Dad used to use a fillet type knife to slice a vein in the roof of a chickens mouth before we plucked it. Said it "released" the feathers and if done right it did seem to make a big difference. The good old days, crips if you told someone you did that now it would get you Probation.

IMG_8392.JPG Downside to scrounging is the clean up. This is on my own property but when I'm out and about I try not to leave a mess and get invited back. IMG_8395.JPGI use to think gas was the answer to a hot fire but a blower revolutionized it. IMG_8398.JPG Having a helper who doesn't complain is great to. IMG_8408.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8393.JPG
    IMG_8393.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8403.JPG
    IMG_8403.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
Cody, it's a small world sometimes. I'll take a closer look in the daylight.

Indeed it is, when I first started there my father worked for an excavating company and tiled in the winter, found out the teeth for the tile machine were from Pengo as well. They bought them somewhere out of Minnesota never knowing they were only a 20 minute drive away. Piss poor company but there was/is a lot of neat stuff there. If you look on the buckets of most Bobcat's, there will be various teeth on them that we shipped out daily as well.

Latest posts

Back