Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trooped out to the farm this morning. It is school holidays so I had Cowlad and Cowlass with me. Again, time was a bit limited so no cutting today but mainly we were picking up wood for the Lady Farmer. This was a mixed load of dry peppermint along with some bonfire poles.

5th Apr 2.jpg

We stacked that in the woodshed and left the poles in a pile at the house then went back over to the blue gum I've been chipping away at. The child slaves loaded the trailer while I continued on whacking away feverishly at my hardwood. They're a bit squinty looking straight into the sun.

5th Apr 1.jpg

We took that back and stacked it in the shed as well then picked up my small collection of bonfire poles again and headed home. Have to go to work in 15 mins :(

5th Apr 3.jpg

:)

How well does the peppermint and blue gum burn?

Pretty well, they're medium density hardwoods. Peppermint is between red oak and locust while blue gum is between locust and osage for BTUs. Peppermint has very little ash and makes great coals. It also has a tendency to pop a bit so it is better in the stove rather than an open fire unless you have a good fire screen. Blue gum is denser so burns for longer but produces more ash which means you're cleaning out the ash every week as opposed to every month with peppermint. Blue gum is more work to cut and split though as it is much harder and interlocked while peppermint is easy splitting. If I had two standing side by side, I'd take the peppermint first but I'm happy to burn both.

My neighbor is trimming the tree today.... And rolling the dice. Noticed that stihl orange.

42d6e36fcef7fe550a96d89709c5fe7a.jpg

I collected a couple of car loads of the robina pseudoacacia, a couple of very full car loads. It was totally dry as a bone, I'd been told it was half dead standing, I reckon the other half was dead and buried. Its normally the weight of the load and the wheels disappearing into the wheel arches that makes me stop loading, even with soft woods, but this was so dry it was space that was the limiting factor this time. So instead of the normal ~0.6m3 (6th of a cord) I squeeze into a car load I think these 2 loads have netted more like half a cord between them. Mostly chunked up trunk rings it feels pretty solid and heavy in the main but I have to say gents, the wet British climate is a bit more than it can take....the centre has rotted out of a lot of it. With this and the oak, cherry, pear and ash I have collected I have a lot of spliting to do. I've made a start on some ash and some oak. Going to split the oak small to try and get it dry in 2 years....may still be struggling tbh.

I collected a couple of car loads of the robina pseudoacacia, a couple of very full car loads. It was totally dry as a bone, I'd been told it was half dead standing, I reckon the other half was dead and buried. Its normally the weight of the load and the wheels disappearing into the wheel arches that makes me stop loading, even with soft woods, but this was so dry it was space that was the limiting factor this time. So instead of the normal ~0.6m3 (6th of a cord) I squeeze into a car load I think these 2 loads have netted more like half a cord between them. Mostly chunked up trunk rings it feels pretty solid and heavy in the main but I have to say gents, the wet British climate is a bit more than it can take....the centre has rotted out of a lot of it. With this and the oak, cherry, pear and ash I have collected I have a lot of spliting to do. I've made a start on some ash and some oak. Going to split the oak small to try and get it dry in 2 years....may still be struggling tbh.

....and the pictures are coming?

Lol yeah! i thought you might be bored of 'wod in the boot of a car' shots so didn't get one, but I'll get you some 'wood piles by the rose bush' and wood piles in the back garden' and 'Springtime in London, with wood piles' shots if you like? ;)

Yes, that's what we need. You've read this whole thread I think you said once, you would have seen UTV pics full of scrounged spruce with the odd maple over and over and it never got old, in fact I miss those pics. I've produced trailer loads of peppermint from about 60 different angles and no-one has complained. Yet. :laugh:

IMG_20170404_122358.jpg Got a call from the developer the other day to see if I would clean up this pile. I think its mostly poplar with some small pieces of ash mixed in. Probly see if I can sell some of the poplar to campers at the state park. If not I'll burn it in the pit in the back yard.IMG_20170405_173836.jpg Ported 590 in its natural environment a pile of noodles.

Ladders and chainsaws did you grab the video camera NA.

No I walked away. I didn't want to see darwin show up. Also dont rule out burning some of the poplar inside. It makes great wood to start the fire and it burn hot and fast. I dont mind having it mixed in. You wont mistake it for any other wood once it dries out.

The 1st pic looks like junkwood but when you cut into it the wood comes back to life.
Till I went and looked at it I thought it was Gona be all punky junk wood. But most of its solid. The last pile he gave me was ash and walnut so I'll take the good with the bad.

No I walked away. I didn't want to see darwin show up. Also dont rule out burning some of the poplar inside. It makes great wood to start the fire and it burn hot and fast. I dont mind having it mixed in. You wont mistake it for any other wood once it dries out.
I'll probly mix it with walnut on the day time rack. But if people will buy it for camp fire wood that's even better.

Had an hour before sunset when I stopped in at the cabin so I fired up the 350 and continued to get rid of balsam from the woodlot. Technically it's still a scrounge because there's a couple wheelbarrow loads of crap balsam trunks laying out there. The rest is going on the burn pile.

With all of the balsam out, the young maple, aspen, and oak can flourish. The thick line of balsams is the property line.
IMG_7615.JPG
IMG_7618.JPG

Ants were moving pretty slow.
IMG_7611.JPG
IMG_7621.JPG
IMG_7625.JPG

Back