Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading this makes me want to start on my 51/55 project. Have a feeling with BG delete and muff opened up it will out run my cs490.

Planning on running my 51 that I put everything new from the carb to the cylinder and a new clutch tomorrow. Got a new stihl Rs chain for it yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Planning on running my 51 that I put everything new from the carb to the cylinder and a new clutch tomorrow. Got a new stihl Rs chain for it yesterday.

IMG_20170216_194259.jpgThis is how the 55 sits now. And the shelf of parts. Need a 51 piston ignition and intake boot to air filter cover.IMG_20170401_092628.jpg

View attachment 571154This is how the 55 sits now. And the shelf of parts. Need a 51 piston ignition and intake boot to air filter cover.View attachment 571164

I'll get some pictures of mine with my 590 today with what I scrounge when I clean it up it still looks almost new actually. I got mine for $50 running from a local pawn shop, but they couldn't figure out why the chain wouldn't move (on the sprocket crooked). It didn't have the best life but it survived. Person stripped out the bulk head and I had no idea about saws so I ran it until I started noticing it was idling high. Found this place and ordered the parts and fixed it luckily before I scored the piston [emoji1360].

We had some pretty bad storms with high winds lately and yesterday a guy called about a saw I have for sale on Craigslist. We got to talking and he said a large oak came down across his driveway and that's why he wanted to buy a saw.

We got to talking and he doesn't heat with wood so I suggested I don't sell him a saw and instead I cut the tree up and keep the firewood. He was quick to agree and we had his driveway open in a couple hours. I'll start pulling loads this weekend. The bonus is he has more oak down around his property and said I can have it all.

IMG_20170406_174254170.jpg IMG_20170406_174857929.jpg IMG_20170406_182609931.jpg

View attachment 571154This is how the 55 sits now. And the shelf of parts. Need a 51 piston ignition and intake boot to air filter cover.View attachment 571164
JFI, Hyway had a one day sale today only, (April 7th), Ignition coil for $10 and I think they also had a piston and ring set for $9. Just rings for $1.89. I just ordered a bunch of new parts to build my 55 hotrod saw I have been planning.

What's the deal with the 51/55 bar tensioners? I was going to run mine some today but got the new chain put on a realized that the tensioner bolt has rattled loose again. 2 in 3 months. I guess I'm not tightening it down enough once I clamp down on the bar with the bar nuts?

We had some pretty bad storms with high winds lately and yesterday a guy called about a saw I have for sale on Craigslist. We got to talking and he said a large oak came down across his driveway and that's why he wanted to buy a saw.

We got to talking and he doesn't heat with wood so I suggested I don't sell him a saw and instead I cut the tree up and keep the firewood. He was quick to agree and we had his driveway open in a couple hours. I'll start pulling loads this weekend. The bonus is he has more oak down around his property and said I can have it all.

View attachment 571219 View attachment 571220 View attachment 571221
good score Cory. should have sold him the saw and then offered to "help" remove the wood.:rolleyes:
are you close to Madison?

Trying not to derail the thread too bad but might have figured out my problem. What is this plastic piece that comes with this tensioner? I'm guessing it has to do with the bolt, just didn't come with my old one, so may have been why it rattled loose.
342fe41cad3c33affaf754a2a526a804.png

Good score!

Now he will tell all his buddies how he got his tree removed for free on CraigsList, and that will spawn a whole new set of 'free firewood' ads (standing trees in residential neighborhoods)!

Philbert

Yes that is very true. And they'll likely all be very valuable walnut trees that are very valuable.

Latest posts

Back