Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Free wood scrounge, trees were dropped, I just cut to length & load! Black Birch, Black Cherry & Maple (not Sugar).

Pic #1 - Black Locust to my Daughter
Pic #2 - Black Cherry to my Daughter
Pic #3 - Black Cherry to another person
Pic #4 - Bl Ch, Bl Loc & Maple still on the trialer
Pic #5 - Still there ... can you say Black Locust!

Attachments

• IMG_20170501_132518856.jpg
    IMG_20170501_132518856.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20170501_172434546.jpg
    IMG_20170501_172434546.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20170502_133132540 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170502_133132540 (Large).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20170502_152754395_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170502_152754395_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20170502_152818718 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170502_152818718 (Large).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Free wood scrounge, trees were dropped, I just cut to length & load! Black Birch, Black Cherry & Maple (not Sugar).

nice Mike. nice locust. those bigger logs are the size we used to hand split for rails for fence at gettysburg.

Nice haul but if you don't cut a white oak, red maple or yellow birch soon, somebody's gonna holler discrimination! Lol.

I'll take the Ash if your saws prefer oak.
Sad thing is I need to fell about 30 ash trees on the Girl Scout camp that are near the walking trails
all are under 20 inch but only have 3 more Mondays to have them on the ground .
Only had 10 marked to go before a tree fell at another camp ground killing a person so now any that are near the trail they want down.

Sad thing is I need to fell about 30 ash trees on the Girl Scout camp that are near the walking trails
Only had 10 marked to go before a tree fell at another camp ground killing a person so now any that are near the trail they want down.
Sorry to hear about the folks at that other camp. I've been cutting for several years at the children's camp my kids go to. We seemed to be getting ahead of them then the director sends me this picture. I have no idea how we missed this one.

IMG_7883.JPG

nice Mike. nice locust. those bigger logs are the size we used to hand split for rails for fence at gettysburg.

I cut 4 12' posts that I asked him to save for me. I think I'll just skin the bark off of them and use em like that.

Did you split them with a series of wedges?

If you want some help shoot me a PM. Your around Gettysburg if I remember correct. That's right down the road.

I cut 4 12' posts that I asked him to save for me. I think I'll just skin the bark off of them and use em like that.

Did you split them with a series of wedges?
yes we used wedges but we cheated a little bit and made some bore cuts in the logs to get the wedge started. ours were 11 feet long per specs from gettysburg.just stack them up off the ground and in about a year the bark with fall off.

Sugar Maple is right in there with Oak, but I think Locust and Hickory are a step above.
in this chart the oaks and sugar maple are the same BTU's. i checked the mulberry which i have a bit of that now and it's not to bad either. my hickory and locust is already tucked away for next year. just gonna sell the lousy oak. :rolleyes:

in this chart the oaks and sugar maple are the same BTU's. i checked the mulberry which i have a bit of that now and it's not to bad either. my hickory and locust is already tucked away for next year. just gonna sell the lousy oak. :rolleyes:

Locust now that's what I split by hand after it is seasoned
Dam oak just gets in the way. lol

Back