Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are not allowed to go fishin with a Stihl hat on ... Man, what those guys from down under will do!

Just making sure you'd know it was me!

Off to Tasmania now for work, gonna be hard going from tropical Queensland to freezing Tassie.

There is not much more aggressive than a Bluefish both in and out of the water. Many a people have scars from trying to unhook them. Even heard that some of the reported "shark" attacks in WW II after ships sank were really schools of Blues acting like Piranha. (Would not surprise me one bit).

When they get into a feeding frenzy the water boils, and their teeth are razor sharp.

There is not much more aggressive than a Bluefish both in and out of the water. Many a people have scars from trying to unhook them. Even heard that some of the reported "shark" attacks in WW II after ships sank were really schools of Blues acting like Piranha. (Would not surprise me one bit).

When they get into a feeding frenzy the water boils, and their teeth are razor sharp.
What's up Mike.
The water usually boils after I get into a feeding frenzy :surprised3:.
Free wood scrounge, trees were dropped, I just cut to length & load! Black Birch, Black Cherry & Maple (not Sugar).

Pic #1 - Black Locust to my Daughter
Pic #2 - Black Cherry to my Daughter
Pic #3 - Black Cherry to another person
Pic #4 - Bl Ch, Bl Loc & Maple still on the trialer
Pic #5 - Still there ... can you say Black Locust!
I would have taken the locust home first :sweet:.
nice Mike. nice locust. those bigger logs are the size we used to hand split for rails for fence at gettysburg.
Their probably still there. I can go out in the woods and plunge cut a locust log that's half sunk in the woods floor and it will shoot sparks of it :yes:.
Sugar Maple is right in there with Oak, but I think Locust and Hickory are a step above.
I choose locust over most everything except in the shoulder seasons as it smells like crap, this is apple and cherry time.
Although I have three nice pieces of locust in the stove right now :blob2:.

in this chart the oaks and sugar maple are the same BTU's. i checked the mulberry which i have a bit of that now and it's not to bad either. my hickory and locust is already tucked away for next year. just gonna sell the lousy oak. :rolleyes:
I still have some mulberry from the big one you helped me with puts out plenty of heat and has pretty good burn times. I'm not really chaseing oak any more either with all the Ash around just waiting to be killed by the Beatles.

Ha! You can have your oak shmoak and your locust, here's what we use down here.

View attachment 577311

Sorry I haven't been around for a week or so, been doing other things. :)
Is that a King? We do a tournament every October in North Carolina for King, fun fishing on light (30 pound test) line, Joe.

I still have some mulberry from the big one you helped me with puts out plenty of heat and has pretty good burn times. I'm not really chaseing oak any more either with all the Ash around just waiting to be killed by the Beatles.
Good morning James.
It's hard to fathom how much ash is going to be turning into topsoil here in our area. It's quite sad that people don't have access to cut it. You can drive down almost every road and see ash down on the shoulders or just off the road, and sometimes even in the road o_O.
It doesn't seem right that we are all about saving the planet and let all those BTU's go to waste, what a farce, global warming:crazy2:.
Keep scrounging guys, were the ones saving the planet :yes::cheers:.

Great reading! You guys are awesome!
Well finally was able to get out to one of my lower ellavation (5000') scrounge areas and try out the "new" wood haulerIMG_2098.JPGfew blow downs and dead standing lodge pole pine, almost as good as oak ;)IMG_2097.JPG and sense I don't have laser precise eyes like Mike been using my firewood buddy, works good IMG_2099.JPG loaded up ready to head back, even took some of the Zogger wood that I don't normally mess with IMG_2102.JPGscenery along the wayIMG_2095.JPG

Back