Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cause I live in MD, don't call me a "Damned Yankee", I'm a good 30 miles south of the Mason Dixon line, Joe.
We moved to southern Arkansas in '93 and people would ask where I was from and then say "oh, you're a damn yankee". I would have to correct them and say "No, I'm a damn Canadian!" Lol.

I was gonna say, there are probably some folk in TN that would object to that Canadian reference to us New Yorkers as "Southerners"!!!!

Almost reminds me of when I was growing up in the Suburbs. My NYC cousins would refer to me as a Country Bumpkin, and my cousins on the Farm would refer to me as being from the City!!!

I was gonna say, there are probably some folk in TN that would object to that Canadian reference to us New Yorkers as "Southerners"!!!!

Almost reminds me of when I was growing up in the Suburbs. My NYC cousins would refer to me as a Country Bumpkin, and my cousins on the Farm would refer to me as being from the City!!!
When we lived in upstate NY, several friends from MN thought that the entire state of NY was covered by NYC! I told them much of NY is more remote than MN, very similar living except everything costs more and there are more laws for everything.

My old man worked for a large paper company , in the 80's he went to a conference in Alabama , he and his boss were invited to a family supper by one of the guys that worked and lived in Alabama , when they were ready to sit and eat one of the older ladies asked where they were from because they spoke funny and that she would not sit and eat at the same table that a Yankee was at , when they said that they were from Canada she invited them to sit and chatted with them all evening .

True story .
BTW , most of you guys are Southerners to me lol

I thought Mason Dixon was a brand of lawnmower. :D
just an adult beverage purveyor. this is only 20 minutes from me so i'll have to check it out.
mason-dixon-distillery-logo.png

Part of the family history about the great uncle that was a US Marshall. His name was Washington Bonifant, do a google search. When Lincoln illegally locked up the MD politicians that he knew would vote to succeed, Washington was sent to Fort McHenry, with a Writ of Habeas Corpus, to release one of the men imprisoned. Now, you have to imagine one man showing up at a Fort to get the release of someone they didn't want to release. When he returned with out his man, and was asked why, he replied, "Well, I knocked, and they wouldn't open the door", the end, Joe.

When I traveled with the College Wrestling Team from Rochester NY to Atlanta GA in the early 70s, I became aware that for many people things were not over. It was a rude awakening.

One of the more mild examples was at a place called Johnny Rebs, we asked them not to put any grits next to our eggs, so they put them on top of our eggs. We were learning about Southern Hospitality!

You are right, the war isn't over for the true southerners, and probably never will be.

I recently was accepted into the Sons of Confederate Veterans group in honor of my great (x3) grandfather from South Carolina. Raised as a northerner, I've definitely been exposed to a different side of things in talking to my uncle and his friends in North Carolina. I was warned early on that the skinheads/neo-nazis/white supremists will try to hide within southern pride groups like SCV and those folks should be avoided. The purpose of the SCV is to honor the brave men who fought in the war (and later earned the title of "US Veterans").

They (southerners) have many valid points and honestly feel the south would have been better off as it's own country. I can't say that I disagree with them that they'd be better off as most of the problems in the US are from the SW and NE coasts and the rust belt.

Latest posts

Back