Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures or it never happened :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:.

Did you call Steve :D.

Do they consider it a hook, or just the forward lean of the tootho_O.
LMAO.

When you agree to buy saws then don't, fix saws then don't, do other shady stuff and then try to blame others, and otherwise resort to making **** up about fellow saw folk so you can look tough on other forums then you can join that club lol.

You can call it a hook or a lean or whatever you want lol.

That looks a good system JJeff. I've just read Scandinavian wood and it seems they are keen on that, stack in the best open spot, dry in 3-6 months, move to under cover for winter. Personally I handle my wood too much anyway, so it's stack where I can and make do with tarps for the winter for much of it. One advantage of an ickle biddy stove necessitating ickle biddle splits is they dry easily, so my stacks are 4 to 6 rows thick.

It's amazing how fast this thread moves along. Miss a day and you get pages behind. Black Locust are prone to a root rot. If you see the big hard mushroom shaped growths on the outside of the tree, there will be rot inside. This is often what brings them down. The root system gets compromised to the point it can't support the weight of the tree, or they snap off through the hollow. Root rots can be fungal or bacterial. Once the wood is split and starts to dry, it can still be stacked on the ground and the rot will not continue. Maybe the pathogens go dormant when they dry out. Maybe jefflovstrom will see this and jump in, he's pretty knowledgeable on pathogens of trees. Anyway, green Black Locust fence posts will last many, many years in the ground and not rot off, Joe.
We have a lot of dead standing as well as dead leaning black locust. I will have to check for the mushrooms, good clue and I think I've noticed them, but didn't put that together with the wood being rotten inside, thanks :).
We have been watching all the ash die here, I know of only a few in a 50 mile radius that are living and healthy.
Here's a load I got the other day, it's a cord plus, or 4 cord, depends on who you ask I guess LOL.
20170831_125332.jpg

LMAO.

When you agree to buy saws then don't, fix saws then don't, do other shady stuff and then try to blame others, and otherwise resort to making **** up about fellow saw folk so you can look tough on other forums then you can join that club lol.

You can call it a hook or a lean or whatever you want lol.

Yeah that's a club I'd prefer to not hang out at/with either.
You know I've ran into plenty of crap in regards to my dealings as well :nofunny:.
It's disappointing to say the least.

We have a lot of dead standing as well as dead leaning black locust. I will have to check for the mushrooms, good clue and I think I've noticed them, but didn't put that together with the wood being rotten inside, thanks :).
We have been watching all the ash die here, I know of only a few in a 50 mile radius that are living and healthy.
Here's a load I got the other day, it's a cord plus, or 4 cord, depends on who you ask I guess LOL.
View attachment 599829
not really mushrooms but shelf fungus. AKA cracked-cap polypore. and yes when i find them on locust i am cutting i usually find rot inside.

Attachments

• 20170408_182124.jpg
    20170408_182124.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 32
That looks a good system JJeff. I've just read Scandinavian wood and it seems they are keen on that, stack in the best open spot, dry in 3-6 months, move to under cover for winter. Personally I handle my wood too much anyway, so it's stack where I can and make do with tarps for the winter for much of it. One advantage of an ickle biddy stove necessitating ickle biddle splits is they dry easily, so my stacks are 4 to 6 rows thick.

I split and stack in the open for drying and then move 3 cord each into the wood shed and porch in the fall. That is the part of 'wooding' that I dislikethe most, just drudgery hauling loads of splits to the dry storage. I usually start that project about August and only move few loads at time when the mood strikes. Just about done now, only one 12x6 rick still to go.

View attachment 599829

Tree service dumped off 2 cords in June. Nice stuff, nothing less than 6" and all in long pieces. Was a nice add - on to the approx 70 cords in my stash.

While trying to find where I went wrong on my first chain grinding, I took a closer look at the chain duh! The one on the right is the one I sharpened and I finally noticed those humps between the teeth. As compared to the Stihl picco on the left. So I swapped wheels and put a worn 3/8 chain on and had a go. Put my freshly sharpened chain on the 365 and it worked pretty good. I think I can probably take some off the rakers and do even better. IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1942.JPG

Looks like a nice scrounge cornfused.
Any pictures of the truck in your avatar :baba:.
Thanks
The truck in my avatar belongs to my cousin in Idaho. We restored it in 1979 and I fell in love with it. Been trying to by it from him ever since. He doesn't seem interested in my offers!!!

While trying to find where I went wrong on my first chain grinding, I took a closer look at the chain duh! The one on the right is the one I sharpened and I finally noticed those humps between the teeth.
They work fine if you sharpen them right.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back