Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
small penis syndrome, me thinks :)

If you want to see arguments, take a gander at the politics and religion section. No other section has spawned a greater number of posters placed on my ignore list for getting personal rather than effectively arguing their position.

Well , with all this talk of black locust and the talk of an early winter and the fear of Zogger's polar vortex I figured I'd better get at it so I headed to one of the scrounge piles to look for that locust y'all talk about ...

bHGtEBM52OdPW-h89CDjs8LKqgPNY-fwA4jp5B7QHmBaty0GIBMt5SJKlutdDN7fsjxlZscAG6UAMq6nmqpWSuKwtBYLhazWzFJHcLBoGWnU2fGERMh_kuBkFGNUnNGUqWDOlVZ2v_FIqrWfxkhXk_Upb6O3KF1f3fhck5fmenUhXgOvR7riZlUTaD5iljPv5uG0bU8L6mLS00uspyhENj_o01VJ-BTBlkkw7hFjx-pRihpyi_1EZ3VGJAM2lB5L13EiJHFI1XFZgsH81_t5OxgVI3IBWtbawmMotL8d1sNa8bp71NPorpWhRQynYAbnqqeSAP2EeKD6jC0LMgbFQ1uwGDmMJeo8CR9o9XLYpZ5zlKQI6pLrSzd6jPpd1jXLt50q08YbxbbCFQIQkZlu1ZDKKgP9CgNfpDNrD0mu_7qkhzXHrr93AwBjxroAYbYPFCt7LawT0jYFtd8AcIVZyqDCJavxSCMvCAUadpdKOc-ek3o9Bm4WItmc38Wa07dhCLfKyP4iVrI9ts1NrLUUfnfU-JWMI07GcjOX4lubUPjMw7t510ofov69J4vkD5ox4h8xAkiEu7aQwWfYbg5-YhhF4JiszQDJc78rvVtcCCaVk5G_gOyljK8II5ACPr_ZOne094id34zOExxZJgRXSAe-2uicDSerbq9zgndGX5kpsH8=w1668-h938-no

I searched through that pile , cutting as I went through it

V6c_qJ63nitL9DMqCoc4BumvJeCoDfz64LdnwjfjlQw2u_QP9K1axRTXydEepzCTIs1LbW1oDBcY8yyFVknsJDL-HMSxnWaWTE-eWhuIBApUZfikeL8N8PMu9rafxFw9dIbOo6kmdlnZlwgGu9U8D6jEh2_uflGqZTGAjZpwcjU_tg6hjLiwFcj0KkT5OsyWwi7q6g-rs7EZVA-yOUkee0ZGkDDoHPd4byIiHqPzykjwz_RazBgUmaTRx3VF7Fm544GSUJJBvcFgnuW_DyC3reO9BMpBc1afwnlIOHNQbLEZSBzZcJSBa4czmsbMO8LMutIWvoAwZJWr5SiOkkVsjSpZFo6ijylrnG5coyYv8kv3l8nZ67i4AJR7fFrTQayaSHq8LuZxlWZcJQE3yXQLUcsk55Vqv4QOdA2mYTwuSSfY8XXaJ4VAeF6hHSQCi0sN3NT3MtvzSEAm-T4KOj4NLG3LNiCGodmuN_uEpGEtoj4ImhVwM1T11svwQR-GwFT6HJKtSgEdwxmrpL3InN_eCioiU4SU5aIrvdtdk4VQhMfivWHJM6fq-2wo5fFnBtFDNwmKkEaQoW2iZa8Oq5f3AR2fUEeirMf3zCjmYS0PPzTN8dhYsP_MCYyQyiQtYU84Pq4X9H1MAMV1Y0VAs0IYSQU6FTG399oVn7YLFYplvmY6yKE=w1668-h938-no

HpX4pXSN0dkdnqSWqxQCBnoq3_N6WIe-lZAg2tWfcxx4TgolDvoPywEOj4Lra1OvXMeVvdQFZJD8_urv7yd8JRHoNzx55her5qvFp8XWXH4zzsJ1d66M_D2i4jP2Po4jAtFqoUJ5zCg3QYX8YKRjfHwGNwPdZITQVgGfN_z9yZuRfGE7MI0MVpYmyCe-gpO3eeDSL3bO-4Pdik6JLwn-_TNqcRIJNaf2BTXPJXb-PTdcppPYloa5EuZNAgfj3zVAT4Byw2LYf1vWUoOORhUpUA07v2wahpUMHOg0YS0eE-wZ-mPVJmCgVSL0iwJpcBLNKAJfbB6VknEJiRFrkVU4c-YpahtBPnslDLSudyMLhDkpPy49y8B0ZaNo3hmmPzleYuEJIi4YYUaoOqLkaB7hUW-_Tnkk6o43d6nlIgp2aczw2RL6ILvpP8kEVBwBtGHl9nCOrDcHIg7Pds_QdH_ADPq89cF1MjCnAbh9a854vLOyKbBSmJ-I-RSstG6yBXSrWtha2O67Znpvh617W86oShgthJsqp9Nx7K96O8GaE9OvF90WggD_Ndl7KCEnfaSjNAD4dtZwFK54xxSq0eRjjds6E4TyO0TUELrPkiyT16iT5tNwKwcaGq0Q3diXv_-NN7M27LvitlHuUcRuk5pMf9Ip9MWIBhqGr4eXXjg6JBGNEQs=w1668-h938-no

But alas not a stick to be found .
I did get excited for a brief moment after finding some peppermint ,,,, that peppermint pattie was right some tasty :)
While I was cutting this load the fella that owned the lot that I cut this off of stopped by , he was telling me that he just got this winter's firewood delivered ....

They work fine if you sharpen them right.

Philbert
Well I for sure didn't! Lol. That chain was on the saw when I bought it and I never really ran it. I've found I can file sharpen pretty fair if I start with a good chain. So first thing I do when I get a saw is to put a new chain on.

IMG_1948.JPG So after dinner, I took the file and guide to the rakers and shaved 5 seconds off that 20 second video. I won't bore you with the next vid but it felt a lot better and threw more chips and way less dust. I'm not trying to emulate a cookie cutting race saw here, haha. Just trying to improve my sharpening skills. With this little grinder and some knowledge, I shouldn't have to buy a chain for a couple years at the rate I cut.

small penis syndrome, me thinks :)

If you want to see arguments, take a gander at the politics and religion section. No other section has spawned a greater number of posters placed on my ignore list for getting personal rather than effectively arguing their position.
Yeah I really don't understand why some take it to such extreme levels.

The builder groupies are the worst.

View attachment 599900 So after dinner, I took the file and guide to the rakers and shaved 5 seconds off that 20 second video. I won't bore you with the next vid but it felt a lot better and threw more chips and way less dust. I'm not trying to emulate a cookie cutting race saw here, haha. Just trying to improve my sharpening skills. With this little grinder and some knowledge, I shouldn't have to buy a chain for a couple years at the rate I cut.
Know any local woodturners? They sometimes like spalted timber.

So, do you ever plan on getting one of your saws ported? Joe.:cheers:
Ha probably not. Or an implant, lol.
While I have to admit after watching YouTube vids of ported saws, it would be cool to own one, I couldn't justify it for my homeowner needs. I wouldn't know where to take it either. Here in Ontario, I'm not aware of anyone who does it. Heck my Stihl dealer looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if they had dual port mufflers for the 460.

Know any local woodturners? They sometimes like spalted timber.
Couple guys like Manitoba maple (box elder) which I have some of. Red streaks in it. That piece I was cutting was elm. Dead standing from Dutch elm disease. Some of the hard maple I have cut has green in it. Most of it winds up in the wood stove. Father in law turns some.

Hook ... Definition ... On a round filed chain, the file is too low in the tooth. In a square filed chain, the filed corner is below the corner of the tooth (nothing to do with the lean).

Why square is more efficient: The vertical cutter (which does the work) is straight, not a continuous varying angle like on round. Look at the side view.

In dirty wood, semi chisel is the best choice. However, properly sharpened square will stay sharp just as long as full chisel, and will noodle and mill a lot better.

There are many regional differences that do not always make sense. Square is popular on the West Coast, Round elsewhere. On the West Coast, .063 bars are common. In the East, they use them a lot on small bars, and the long bars are all .050, which makes no sense at all as .063 oils better. It just "is what it is".

Round file chain is common on the East Coast because it is available, and most people can't learn to sharpen square, and very few grinders (mostly very expensive ones) will sharpen it.

I've converted all of my Full Chisel to square, but I do keep a few loops of semi around, along with a loop of carbide in case I need them. Since I mostly cut green wood, I don't need them much.

Yes, the Oregon allows all sizes files and chains. Square filed chains are a different animal however. I've never tried to file one of those.
Square chisel can be sharped with a granberg file guide if a triangle hex is clamped in place. A rectangle six edged won't clamp on the one end, so will not function. Takes longer than free hand but puts all the teeth at the same angle.

Latest posts

Back