Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a problem I never thought I would have....I have a Stihl 192T, poulan 3314, Craftsman 5020, Husky t540xp, 445 and 395xp. Now every time I think about going out and cutting wood I want to bring the cheap saws to save the wear and tear on the expensive saws. So now I finally got good saws that I dont wanna use!!
That's not a problem, yet o_O.
When you have saws for pine, hardwood and then the shelf queens your starting to have a problem.
What you speak of is merely symptoms, your not full blown yet :surprised3:.

How many tanks are you getting before touching up the square cutting harder hardwood.

I usually like to sharpen every two tanks, but they will go longer (usually), I just like "peak" performance. I did 4 tanks with the 660 milling Red Oak, but that was with a 36" full comp chain that I converted from RS to RSL (square). But milling a big Oak is tough on a chain, so I was pleased how it did, and it was still going well, no signs that it needed sharpening.

It usually depends on the wood you are cutting. Green stuff is not hard on chains, dry stuff is, and grit in the bark will dull any chain.

I've got a long list of saws that will maybe get a little shorter.

I enjoy spending the end of the afternoon puttering with the project saws on a test log. But when wood needs to be cut I'll grab the 550 and 562 and maybe a small saw with some cheap LP chain if I need to buck logs that have been dragged.

That's not a problem, yet o_O.
When you have saws for pine, hardwood and then the shelf queens your starting to have a problem.
What you speak of is merely symptoms, your not full blown yet :surprised3:.
Well over here in "hardwood world" I dont cut pine. Softest thing I have ever cut is silver maple, and most of that was already cut. Roadside scrounge.

You probably need more wood like a hole in the head, but if there is traffic rolling by, how about a temporary sign like what the real estate agents use, with your details where neighbours can see it? Might pick up more scrounges or tree work. That is, if you haven't too much of it already. I'm sure we all get people stopping and talking about their 'highly valuable' walnut tree they want dropped or which fell and needs cleaning up, etc, but there might be more who don't stop.

I have wood for the next three seasons, but I keep cutting. I have business cards I give to people I cut for and they tell others. I still scrounge on CL and wherever else I can. ;)

Well over here in "hardwood world" I dont cut pine. Softest thing I have ever cut is silver maple, and most of that was already cut. Roadside scrounge.

I think Silver Maple may cut faster than pine, no sticky sap to slow things down. Both are very soft and will make your saw look like Superman!

1st, 2nd and about 7th cut on the new mill. You can guess which one was the 1st cut. This thing works excellent. Shoulda got stitches or stapes but didn't want wifey to make a big deal out of it. Started raining as I did the last cut so the wound got washed as I cleaned up.
IMG_20170905_181933.jpg IMG_20170905_183351.jpg IMG_20170905_183351.jpg IMG_20170905_170503.jpg

1st, 2nd and about 7th cut on the new mill. You can guess which one was the 1st cut. This thing works excellent. Shoulda got stitches or stapes but didn't want wifey to make a big deal out of it. Started raining as I did the last cut so the wound got washed as I cleaned up.
View attachment 600107 View attachment 600108 View attachment 600108 View attachment 600109
Crap man, glad your ok.
The wood looks real nice.
That acid rain coming from Detroit should clean it right out :eek:.
Hope your feeling better soon, now that you've got cants well have to have a scroungers gtg :laugh:.
Hey Steve, bring the red husky :rock:.

I solemnly do swear that whenever the opportunity next arises I'll cut wet pine and the more typical for me dry gum logs with the same chain and document the chips with side by side pics.
There's a reason they call it hero wood:chainsaw:.
I think Silver Maple may cut faster than pine, no sticky sap to slow things down. Both are very soft and will make your saw look like Superman!
It sure does cut nice, and splits great too.
I may be cutting 4 fair sized ones this week, scroungers can't be picky, and I can't complain about the :envy:.
Just as Dan, my go to saw is the 241, and then the 360 pro, great softwood saws(my dirty saws), huskys for the hardwoods lol.

I dont have anything against softwood. I love silver maple. The stuff is everywhere(along with ash), it cuts easy, splits easy, dries fast, light to carry, isn't sappy and easy to light on fire. The only downside I see to silver maple is it doesn't burn long, but this year since I got a new(to me) NC30 I could realistically burn nothing but softwood during the day when I'm up and only use hardwood at night. The only issue with that is, 95% of the stuff I have is hardwood. :D

Nobody around me stocks any double bevel files. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and pay the shipping for one. Still trying to figure out the whole angle thing. Tilt the file up, tilt it back and tilt it over. I think if I planned on doing a bunch of sq filing, I would modify a grandburg to accept the double bevel file. Shoot, I threw a oregon, grandburg clone, away a few months ago, would have been a good base to try and ma
ke a sq filing guide.
Just wondering, has anybody ever tried to sq file a rounded chain, I am sure someone has, but it must not work well or we would have heard about it by now.

50* 82% humidity unseasonably cool for MO. In regard to using a granberg file guide for square chisel. Just use the 6 side triangle file since the 6 sided rectangle can't be clamped. It is what I've used to bring consistency back to a loop of square chisel, which forester makes for my ms 170. My medium saws all have 3/8 .063 chisel square file cause I like it, even hand filed. My hand filing puts inconcistancies cutter to cutter over time so the granberg once inna while smooths the cutting some.
Play safe out there

6 sided triangle file??? Never seen one. I'll have do a little searching.
I'm with you there - had to do some searching myself. I think this is what really got me confused:
Square chisel can be sharped with a granberg file guide if a triangle hex is clamped in place. A rectangle six edged won't clamp on the one end, so will not function.
I thought I would have to go back to kindergarten to relearn my shapes because a triangle, hex, and rectangle are all mentioned - none of which are square! LOL

Latest posts

Back