Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well , since we know that you have a strategic reserve of some willow and more importantly , some of that stuff legends are made of , locust , why not slow down for a couple of months so that arm can rest up .
A month or so would only set you back what , a years worth of willow ?

I keep telling myself to slow down but it doesn't work. Neighbor had an old dead Poplar (?lombardy? - tall and narrow) fall into his field. Looked like a bomb went off, crap everywhere. Put in 3 hours yessterday an one todya cleaning it up for him. Left him 2 piles of rounds and branches to burn. Back tomorrow to Von's place. I fell a big willow Thursday. 36" butt, fun bucking in themorning, first 10' of the butt is clear of the ground. Then on to cutting/piling brush. I could just fall them and leave lay but I just can't make myself leave burnable wood lay.

Mudd, just got home from a week on Kiawah Island SC. On the way home we spent a couple days in the Raleigh/Durham area, visiting my wife's Aunt and Uncle. In the next couple weeks we'll be back to the Black Mountain area. I have a live edge Oak mantle that I made for a friends post and beam home they had custom built. So, with the fishing trip, vacation, and the mantle project, I will have spent about 3 weeks in NC. If I keep heading South, I'll have to get your address and swing by one day.

SVK, Steve, I know you spend some holiday time in the Carolina's. How far from Charleston are you?

Every one else. If you are in the Charleston SC area you need to stop in and see the "Angel Oak". I think they bill it as the largest "Live Oak" in the state. It is worth an hour drive just to spend 5 minutes walking under it. I backed up to the trunk and paced 32 paces to the drip line, then did the same on the other side and got 36 paces, with the diameter of the trunk, that puts the spread at close to 200'. They have phone pole props and cables helping to hold it up. For any pro tree guys, it's kind of sad, to see the maintenance work that's been done on it. There are cavities that have been patched with concrete, that looks like the work was done in the past couple years. For a tree under state care, I can't believe they are using 100 year old methods. Anyway, it's still worth the time to go see it. I can't even guess how many cords of wood would be in this monster, if the whole thing was solid, Joe.

https://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/charleston-county/angel-oak.html

Mudd, just got home from a week on Kiawah Island SC. On the way home we spent a couple days in the Raleigh/Durham area, visiting my wife's Aunt and Uncle. In the next couple weeks we'll be back to the Black Mountain area. I have a live edge Oak mantle that I made for a friends post and beam home they had custom built. So, with the fishing trip, vacation, and the mantle project, I will have spent about 3 weeks in NC. If I keep heading South, I'll have to get your address and swing by one day.

SVK, Steve, I know you spend some holiday time in the Carolina's. How far from Charleston are you?

Every one else. If you are in the Charleston SC area you need to stop in and see the "Angel Oak". I think they bill it as the largest "Live Oak" in the state. It is worth an hour drive just to spend 5 minutes walking under it. I backed up to the trunk and paced 32 paces to the drip line, then did the same on the other side and got 36 paces, with the diameter of the trunk, that puts the spread at close to 200'. They have phone pole props and cables helping to hold it up. For any pro tree guys, it's kind of sad, to see the maintenance work that's been done on it. There are cavities that have been patched with concrete, that looks like the work was done in the past couple years. For a tree under state care, I can't believe they are using 100 year old methods. Anyway, it's still worth the time to go see it. I can't even guess how many cords of wood would be in this monster, if the whole thing was solid, Joe.

Interesting read.

rarefish, I took a organics course several years ago in Frogmore SC. The Angel Oak was discussed in the class. I forget what kind of testing was done, but it was shown that the roots of the tree where obtaining benefits of Micorrhiza association from over 1 mile away. I find it interesting how our actions in one location can effect the life of plants over a mile away. Never got to visit the Angle Oak.

I worked many days in and around Blackmountain, Nc. Its about 3 hrs from my home. Also worked a while in Charleston Sc. about 7 hrs drive.

Found this across the trail last week and started cutting it yesterday. Already took a couple of loads to the stack. There is another snag right next to it too. 20171029_142259.jpg First firewood **** picture with the new phone. :happybanana:

Also stumbled on a couple of pics when transferring from old phone that I posted a few years ago but disappeared after the linkbucks hack. Watch for them on another thread. ;)

Went back to that big willow, not quite as big as I thought, 32" bar didn't quite clear on the first couple of cuts. 17 rounds 16" long to the first branch = 22 ft of log clear of the ground. Now THAT is fun bucking...but it didn't stop there. Except for on chunk 4' long laying over an old burned stump I cut another 10 rounds still clear of the ground and still going. I can't see what is holding it uop that way but I sure do like it! So much brush on it I can't seem but a few feet past where I'm bucking. I'm gonna have to haul that, solidest willow I cut all sommer, not a spot of rot anywhere even at the side banches, very unusual. So 36' of log tapering from 32 down to a bit over 20" of the best willow I have ever seen and the log still laying out straight disapearing into the brushy top. Too bad it is willow and not a better species.

Back on Tuesday to noodle and load some of what I have cut and then proceed with brushing out the top.

Arm somewhat better today, at least I could start the saws if they fired up with no more than 2 pulls.

Found this across the trail last week and started cutting it yesterday. Already took a couple of loads to the stack. There is another snag right next to it too. View attachment 609524 First firewood **** picture with the new phone. :happybanana:

Also stumbled on a couple of pics when transferring from old phone that I posted a few years ago but disappeared after the linkbucks hack. Watch for them on another thread. ;)
Nice. Is that Ash? Looks ready to burn!

Nice. Is that Ash? Looks ready to burn!
It is Ash - one of many that have been dead for years from EAB. The roots eventually rot and they fall down. This one had just a few feet at the bottom that was punky, SOLID through most of the length, and a few feet punky again near the top. It makes for some nice cutting, splitting, and burning for sure. This may well get burned this season while I try to make the Hickory, Oak, and Locust last a few years.

Murphy NC is where I go. It's in the very furthest western part of NC.

Back