Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say the lil wood lot I have behind my house is getting quite sparse of standing dead ash. Took another dead tree down, kinda yellow on the inside like locust, but different bark than black locust. BIG tree, I dunno what it is, but it will burn.... had to drop one live maple earlier this month to make way for the big dead mystery tree. Split that maple extra small for surface area to dry, my 8yo stacks, she is super smart, I told her to separate the maple to the on stack furthest from the house so it'll have the longest time to dry. Supposed to get my log delivery tomorrow, we'll see how much he brings. I told him to bring me what he felt was fair for our trade, I gave him a set of Z71 wheels with cooper snow tires mounted for his wife's Avalanche. Time will tell....

85FE4003-186D-4E23-9FCF-DCAF48C7D3AC.jpeg We we talking about bar length the other day so I snapped this pic of my neighbors load of logs. This is pretty typical of the mostly ash load around here. I put a glove on one of the ends for perspective. Lots of guys running 50-60cc saws and 16-18” bars. Some run bigger saws, the weight isn’t as much an issue in the log pile as in the woods plus it’s nice to be able to pull a longer bar if you get a big tree. I get mostly fence line or yard trees that nobody wants because of all the branching and sometimes they have a good sized trunk. Bigger forest trees usually wind up at the mill. Lots of loggers being told to cut all the ash because of the emerald borer.

About 40% of the mature trees on my upstate 50 acres are Ash, and I'm worried, but they have not been dying like all the Ash down here.

I've toyed with the idea of building a big shed and milling a bunch of it and just saving it.

Luckily I also have a lot of Black Cherry, but the newer growing trees seem to be Black Birch and an increase in Red Oak (used to be very few Oak). There is also some Sugar and Red Maple, and Beech, but I have never seen a Hickory or Locust up there. Also, a lot of Stripe Maple and some Poplar.

yAqVH-fhEkIqM9qr2c8CgTFC2szFcBAja9mEM-nA0bq8T0qqmIJmJVh4i4ZXdoFgq51PFYU_w5KbFbGCfKLNvU21Dpy72VWlJkp3qthU1Ix089juFM9dCaeWyOmKqgvE3Fct8zGOWlqA4lymZOFHr_8qMd8d0-X0weBUM6CLzqjjLostnu1K7gRS8zPcfHwZBPYc74qa-Vw2StUdOFFYyjIuQTOyHIFxwP5d62zuIGVM3DfZd6HTj6y6tfgdKDfYQhn6wC1A5LgabKDTv0zZPZkZf0kdK0NaeTaHIFeDVU8RZXQ1LWIYusghHfUI3PpFAUzCkgWAfarunlYbDiHOA4yL6LrmoF0K8gGyJWo2wx1QaRRXEvPAHBNrwzENe6YJTEyMo-WT4ddv_4M3_6DV-5vGgZzujX3LLg96JtopeAHtoVtnIaeTEt5Nz4JbMNvh-H221vEeLjOxDF2w0QwJoORyAn9tkADU2mlEp_ahIqo5D2IjzBUtZNxAEc0hRIIpyrvGOgDFhf9ofogkbswsPOu2ypn3pGyOSj6C_4Hdij1C9VTUSi3xI9hPvJa7h3t757WJQ7rqD9MviXV46ThGnhn8rEh99Uqjucu8IxmLNag=w985-h937-no

Shorts of scrounged maple , birch and spruce .

Well, I have found out bradford pear wont last long in the wood pile. Tree was cut early spring this year. Been just dumped in a pile since then. Mostly smaller limb wood and I thought I would burn a little in the stove to keep from getting to hot of a fire. Dang stuff is already getting doughty, mushrooms growing all over it. It will be rotten by next season, so I guess I will just try to burn it all this year. Got maybe a half cord of the stuff, some needs split, but most will fit the stove as is. Got 3 or 4 cord of good 2yr old white oak stacked uncovered I will mix with the pear and a couple of cord of mixed hardwood, redoak, maple, birch and I think their is even a little whitepine under the shed left over from 2 years ago. I'll save it for the really cold days.

You got that right. Danged if I know what they are good for at all? Break down first bit of wind or split at the crotch. Grandma put some in at an uncles urging. Junk junk junk
Pear? All the fruit trees I know about are all like that. Apple, pear, peach, plum...

Burnt my first load of sugar maple last night. Box full of coals this morning. There were so much coals I'm wondering if the fire went out and it just smoldered all night. Had flame for almost an hour before I went to bed so idk. I have noticed a big difference in burn times between different woods though. Silver maple burns great and burns down to nothing but doesnt burn long, and ash isnt much better but I have an almost endless supply of ash so I'll burn what I get, but that sugar maple really held. The only clue I have that the sugar actually stayed burning was that the stove was hot and the house was warmer than any other overnight burn I have had. It wouldn't put out the heat like that if it just smoked and smoldered would it? No. Cant be. It had to burn. Another issue is all my wood is cut short for several reasons. I think I might start cutting it even shorter to 9" long and put pieces end-to-end so I can "make" 18" logs. Most of the stuff I have is around 12". Putting 12" logs in an 18" stove is reducing my burn time considerably I think.

Mix of last years ash and oak, I awoke to a stove full of coals. I loaded it up and left the air to max, jump in the shower, when out go and cut off the air flow, get dressed and off to church. After church, it's another day of firewood duty. Got the older Nephew coming to help today, I bribe him with my wife's cooking. Pulled pork & cookies for dessert

About 40% of the mature trees on my upstate 50 acres are Ash, and I'm worried, but they have not been dying like all the Ash down here.

I've toyed with the idea of building a big shed and milling a bunch of it and just saving it.

Luckily I also have a lot of Black Cherry, but the newer growing trees seem to be Black Birch and an increase in Red Oak (used to be very few Oak). There is also some Sugar and Red Maple, and Beech, but I have never seen a Hickory or Locust up there. Also, a lot of Stripe Maple and some Poplar.
Stripe maple?

. Putting 12" logs in an 18" stove is reducing my burn time considerably I think.
I agree with that assessment. I usually cut my wood around 20inch long. My stove will handle 30in lengths. My splitter will split 26inch lengths. Anything that fits on the splitter will fit in the stove. 20 in lengths are just easier for my wife to handle to put in the stove. I dont measure my cuts and always endup with short chunks, or stuff that just barely fits on the splitter. At night, I will throw all the little short pieces all the way to the back of the stove and then fill the front with the longest pieces I can get in. My stove will hold a lot of wood if I pack it in. During cool spells, I can get 12hr burns. In colder weather, I might only get 6hrs burn time. My biggest problem is keeping the house at a reasonable temp. Its either to cold and I open up the drafts and then it gets to hot and I have to open the doors and windows.

Latest posts

Back