Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another windy day yesterday so I went for a walk. There's a little island of land across the swamp from my main deer hunting area. Fought through the swamp and made it there but it was sure a slog in there. No fresh deer sign but was a cool little island with pines and hardwood surrounded by ash swamp on one side and spruces on the other. Ended up finding the largest red maple I've ever seen.

IMG_0596.JPG

Another windy day yesterday so I went for a walk. There's a little island of land across the swamp from my main deer hunting area. Fought through the swamp and made it there but it was sure a slog in there. No fresh deer sign but was a cool little island with pines and hardwood surrounded by ash swamp on one side and spruces on the other. Ended up finding the largest red maple I've ever seen.

View attachment 612132
I was driving to the bank one day and on the side of the road were branches cut off a tree by the power company. On the way back I stopped to inspectigate (like any good scrounger would do) and discovered the branches were WAY bigger than they looked from the street. 18" diameter cut in 8ft long pieces. Just the few branches the power company took off this tree was a truckload full. It was cold so there were no leaves to tell what it was but the tree was still alive and the wood was dark/oak looking but I knew it wasnt oak by the bark and smell of the wood. Several days later I tried to split some of it. Dead giveaway that it was a redish maple breed of some sort, the trunk of the tree being 3 times the diameter of the one in your pic. They had spraypainted a blue dot on the tree, and idk about the rest of the country but around here, a spraypainted blue dot is the mark of death. I got sick the next day and was down for a week. The next time I got to it the entire tree was gone. Stump and all.

Whew, I'm whooped. Thank god the older nephew came to help today. We worked like angry bees for hours. Then he got this look on his face, I asked what's up? His reply " I brought my hunting gear" so go! You worked hard. He comes back out a hour later telling me how he missed the same buck I have missed several times. (We both can hit the target with our bows, but put a deer in front of us...) So back to work for another 45 minutes, and he slips back into the woods while me and my girls finish. I got three truck loads of rounds dropped off, ash, hickory and cherry. All split and stacked. Plus all the rest of my rounds are split and stacked. Feels good to have it done, but man is this body sore.

Got a txt from my mate with the property he had a tree loose its top last week in a thunder storm. He figured the annoying neighbour who’d complained to the council couldn’t say this was “cutting down live trees”. So he invited me over to get some wood.

My wife went away for a girl’s weekend, she took the big car so had to take the Corolla. Figured wouldn’t be a good idea towing a ton of wood with it so just took the saws and diced up the branch. It probably is only half a trailer load. My mate said “go and cut up some other stuff to make it a load, stuff the neighbour”. I will do exactly that next weekend!

upload_2017-11-13_9-32-28.jpg

OK it’s not a Mustang with 11 saws but fairness I don’t have a Mustang or 11 saws J

Gotta be kidding. Loaded that sugar in the stove last night and didn't reload this morning. Loaded about 930 last night. Had to go strait to Ace to get an inner tube for the wheelbarrow cuz I don't have one of these yet...

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...apacity-heavy-duty-steel-utility-cart-1147050

Got home about 515PM and still had enough coals to light without starting a cold stove. Loaded 930PM and had coals 515PM the next day to relight.

4C349145-AC6F-4C11-A458-1C49DCAC53C9.jpeg Had 3 hours to scrounge this afternoon in the timber. Here’s a pic of 1 of the 3 little stacks I got worked up before dark. 35 degrees, very damp, but no wind, so comfortable. This was a dead standing “phone pole” about 60’ tall. My guess is Red Elm, but I wouldn’t put a lot of money on that bet.

Was at my friend Tim's house, he let's me hunt there (nice to have a local place to hunt).

Spent 4 hours of intense work today, mostly splitting, but also some cutting & hauling out of the woods. The trees had already been dropped at his neighbor's house, and some of it bucked. Cut up some Elm, some beautiful solid Ash (the 20" bar was barely big enough) and some smaller Red Maple.

Why is it the rounds always have to go up hill, over big rocks & logs, to the trailer??? We retrieved a full trailer load of wood, and split that and all the wood the owner had already bucked.

I fed the rounds to the splitter and the owner stacked the split rounds. So on Thursday I hauled the deer out of the woods, then I delivered a bunch of wood, and today I did this. As my Nephew says, my back is letting me know that I've been busy! Nothing bad, but I feel it (mostly the muscle on the lower right). Oh well, it helps to keep you young, ya gotta keep going!

View attachment 612241 Had 3 hours to scrounge this afternoon in the timber. Here’s a pic of 1 of the 3 little stacks I got worked up before dark. 35 degrees, very damp, but no wind, so comfortable. This was a dead standing “phone pole” about 60’ tall. My guess is Red Elm, but I wouldn’t put a lot of money on that bet.

Looks like the good stuff to me, gotta love the klink sound it makes!

Got a txt from my mate with the property he had a tree loose its top last week in a thunder storm. He figured the annoying neighbour who’d complained to the council couldn’t say this was “cutting down live trees”. So he invited me over to get some wood.

My wife went away for a girl’s weekend, she took the big car so had to take the Corolla. Figured wouldn’t be a good idea towing a ton of wood with it so just took the saws and diced up the branch. It probably is only half a trailer load. My mate said “go and cut up some other stuff to make it a load, stuff the neighbour”. I will do exactly that next weekend!

View attachment 612188

OK it’s not a Mustang with 11 saws but fairness I don’t have a Mustang or 11 saws J

View attachment 612189

View attachment 612190

Nice, Jeff. Sydney grey gum?

What was the wash-up with the neighbour? I hope you're taking pics of all the wood you're cutting there so you can show that you're going by the rules and can tell the neighbour to get nicked. Of course, you should be posting the pics here as well so we can all verify your position.

Small point, you should put the saws and stuff in the back seat so you can fill the boot with wood (front seat too) :laugh:.

Yep cowboy Sydney grey gum.
My mate bought the land a bit over a year ago 15 acres, he’s in the process of subdividing it into three 5 acre lots. Plans to sell two and keep one to build his own house on. Part of the process is the neighbours can object, one of the neighbors came up with a long list of objections including aledged cutting of live trees. My mate just wants his subdivision to pass then he’s happy for me to take as much dead wood as I want. Hopefully by winter it’s all sorted and I can get my 4 trailer loads (years worth).
I may need a little more to get me through this winter so keeping my eye out for seasoned scrounge.
I’ll take photos if I’m able to get out this weekend. If I get enough wood I’ll fill the boot in the territory.
The old stroller doesn’t quite cut it plus I had the kids in the back.

Latest posts

Back