Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say, in my back woods behind the house I have shot at and missed that same buck 4 times, the last time he looked up at me as he ran away. With in 10 minutes he walked back towards me, looking up the whole time. Yes they look up, and yes around here they are more likely to circle back. Upstate at Uncle Mikes property, you fart in the woods and good luck for 5years.... they know your there and they are NOT coming back. I think they have year round pressure on them. The other part that stinks about up there, is all the other land owners, nice guys, but they bait. The one group got busted baiting and having two does hanging with no tags, they paid the fines and the next year were back to baiting... The story goes, the state police drove there Crown Victoria's up the logging trail whooping the **** out of them the whole time and made the busts after they were tipped off. Hey fellas, why not go back up the next year?!? Its super frustrating to have these fellas that are all "friendly like, super sweet guys" but they all cheat and your in a family of "good guys" and we do things the right way and teach our kids to do the right thing... ****, last year the guy is hunting with his crossbow well before crossbow season opens, Uncle Mike calls him out on it, and he just shrugs his should like oh yeah who cares and offers us a beer..... ARGHHHHHHHHH

I had a FREAKING GIANT buck running the back woods, I could always see him from my bedroom window at 20 yards, never see him in the woods.... Im talking 12point record deer. Anybody know how badly I wanted to put the .22mag in its ear?? But I didn't, later that year one of the neighbors left a bushel of apples in his back yard and nailed him....... ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Its super frustrating, but when you do things the right way in life your kids can walk around town and not be afraid to tell anyone what there last name is...
I have relatives that have a less than decent parent, sadly they know and we all know they can't do that same....

So back to firewood, I come home from work. Wifes older sisters car is in the driveway, I come in the house and the kids are watching movie. I ask "Where's mommy?" "down stairs with Aunt Becky" is the reply. I go down and the wife and sis are sitting in chairs sipping wine right next to the roaring stove, man these girls love feeding the stove and LOVE that heat!

Here ya go bub. We have deer here. We have golden eagles here. Deer know the eagles are here. Eagles know the deer are here. Eagles hunt from above. With much more range than a human with a bow. Throw a flag on the eagle for unsportsman-like conduct.

now that is one big jack rabbit... lol

Here ya go bub. We have deer here. We have golden eagles here. Deer know the eagles are here. Eagles know the deer are here. Eagles hunt from above. With much more range than a human with a bow. Throw a flag on the eagle for unsportsman-like conduct.

That's the best you've got? Not impressed, bub.

My Uncle also did not believe in tree stands, except for archery. He also thought everyone should use a lever action and open sights. IMO, the addl hunting pressure in most areas make it near impossible to be successful w/o a tree stand, and many places (woods) just seem more over grown than they used to be, making one necessary.

Re sporting: It is easier to hunt a farm w/o a tree stand than it is to hunt in woods with a tree stand. The deer are more used to human scent, and it does not bother them as much (on a farm). My cousin (who grew up on a farm) used to tell me that if you want to get a deer, just ride out on a tractor, they won't even move!

IMO, tree stands are necessary for bows and cross bows, and with fire arms they make the sport safer (the shot is always going toward the ground) and they result in more clean one shot kills, so in that regard they are more sportsmanlike. That said, I have harvested deer still hunting with a bow, including my biggest deer. Unfortunately, addl hunting pressure (and illegal baiting) have made this method very unproductive in the areas I hunt. I wish it were not that way, but I have to deal with reality. I'm primarily a meat hunter, and I want more than one a decade in the freezer.

Nothing personal, but as long as we obey the law, take your own road. I love to still hunt, but unless it is in a remote area or late in the season, I won't do it as it usually just results in pushing the deer to someone else. I also choose based on conditions. If there is a powdery snow on the ground, I love to still hunt, if it is dry and noisy, I like to sit in a tree stand and listen for them (I'll usually hear them before I can see them).

You could also call long range shooting and deer drives un sportsmanlike, but they are the only way you will harvest some deer. Like I said, take your own road. Tree stands and scopes make it safer and result in more one shot kills. IMO, that is more sporting. Still hunters with open sights often did a lot of tracking.

do you hunt????
But it's exactly that advantage that take the sporting element out of it. If all you want at the end of the day is a dead deer, just shoot one out you truck cab window with a spotlight shining in his face. Sport is supposed to be a challenge, where's the challenge in shooting down at a something that has no natural instinct to look up for danger?
I guess deer have been hunted enough that they are used to looking up. Why on Earth would tell some one to do some thing that is clearly against the law in every state in the country?

I watched the 4 point I got with the cross bow for 20 minutes before he gave me a clear shot at the right angle. Any shift of the wind, any noise or movement, could have sent him packing, I've had it happen numerous times. It was exciting, it was sporting. He was 30 yards away when I fired. Most of the time I watched him he as 40-50 yds away in real thick stuff. Unsportsmanlike would have been taking a shot at him in that thick stuff.

My Uncle also did not believe in tree stands, except for archery. He also thought everyone should use a lever action and open sights. IMO, the addl hunting pressure in most areas make it near impossible to be successful w/o a tree stand, and many places (woods) just seem more over grown than they used to be, making one necessary.

Re sporting: It is easier to hunt a farm w/o a tree stand than it is to hunt in woods with a tree stand. The deer are more used to human scent, and it does not bother them as much (on a farm). My cousin (who grew up on a farm) used to tell me that if you want to get a deer, just ride out on a tractor, they won't even move!

IMO, tree stands are necessary for bows and cross bows, and with fire arms they make the sport safer (the shot is always going toward the ground) and they result in more clean one shot kills, so in that regard they are more sportsmanlike. That said, I have harvested deer still hunting with a bow, including my biggest deer. Unfortunately, addl hunting pressure (and illegal baiting) have made this method very unproductive in the areas I hunt. I wish it were not that way, but I have to deal with reality. I'm primarily a meat hunter, and I want more than one a decade in the freezer.

Nothing personal, but as long as we obey the law, take your own road. I love to still hunt, but unless it is in a remote area or late in the season, I won't do it as it usually just results in pushing the deer to someone else. I also choose based on conditions. If there is a powdery snow on the ground, I love to still hunt, if it is dry and noisy, I like to sit in a tree stand and listen for them (I'll usually hear them before I can see them).

You could also call long range shooting and deer drives un sportsmanlike, but they are the only way you will harvest some deer. Like I said, take your own road. Tree stands and scopes make it safer and result in more one shot kills. IMO, that is more sporting. Still hunters with open sights often did a lot of tracking.

Finally someone who gets it. Thanks for a good reply without the name calling. I guess your uncle was a PETA member too:rolleyes:

I spend a few hours hunting every year, some years I even put shells in my gun. Other years I just lay on the bench in my tree stand ( fort on wheels) and watch the geese and clouds fly by with my grandson. I did the same thing with my kids. The reason I use a elevated stand is to keep warm and so that the sound travels upward and we might actually see something then. The stand is a wagon scaffolding frame and has 4' sides on it. I do actually shoot a deer every few years but it's not the reason why I hunt. PS< I cleared this area where my wagon is for a log landing. The salt lick and the pond I dug is a couple hundred yards away ( that might be considered cheating to set up there).
3.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

There are enough anti hunting/fishing people out there, we don’t need to be fighting amongst ourselves. As long as you’re obeying the law, I’m with you.

Agree. I was just stating my opinion and wanted to hear other folks take on the subject. Thankfully only a couple resorted to mud slingin'.
To the rest of you, thanks for chiming in.

great pics Cantoo, you sound like my dad, he has shot two deer in his life. He goes up hunting to hand with me and my Uncle and to "get away" . He could care less about shooting a deer, to him its ALL about recharging his batteries. He reads or sleeps more than hunts, he had a giant buck that I was "stalking" in his sights and passed on it. " I wanted to see you get it" was his answer, I was beside myself for missing my shot and then I wanted to die when he told me he could have shot it 10 times.....

Again, GREAT pics!!

I am picky about shooting deer or bear. Killed several of each, but most of the time I will pass on the shot. Unless its a rabbit in my garden and then I will shoot that pesky wasskel. Deer have been wiping my garden out every year, but I havent shot any or shot at any. I go out every nite and spot lite my field, 8-10- a dozen, easy picking if I want one. But the deer are starting to get under my last nerve eating up my garden, might just start thinning the out.

Latest posts

Back