Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I was out most of yesterday. Did I miss anything ;)?

Anyone cutting any wood?

That would be Moriori. Maori are far too civilised for that carry on.

Well, you made me go and learn something. I didn't know about the Moriori so I had to go and look them up and found they were from the Chatham islands. Then I didn't know where the Chatham islands were so I had to look that up as well. Some rough history there at times.

Good luck, hope it works well. I cheat and use my propane torch, it lights with a pull of the trigger, keeps my finger tuned up. It also lights first time every time, even in a downpour. Steve, I think I asked this before, but I'm getting old and don't remember. How far are you from Duluth. I used to have family up there, but they are all gone now, Joe.
I grew up an hour north of Duluth and cabins are two hours north.

Hey guys, I was out most of yesterday. Did I miss anything ;)?

Anyone cutting any wood?

Just burning or splitting it at this point.

Just a sled full for the next few days burnin'

That's more snow that I expected to see. When does the snow start flying in MT?

I upsized wood shifting equipment

i like the look of those 4 wheel hand carts/garden trolleys. i'm currently using and abusing an old pram to shift rounds oit back and splits to the house. its holding up incredibly, ive bounced it down steps when loaded up super heavy and cant believe it isnt broken, but when it dies i'm going to get one of those garden trolleys, about £45 over here.

i bet the sack barrow is handy too, for heavy rounds.

i like the look of those 4 wheel hand carts/garden trolleys. i'm currently using and abusing an old pram to shift rounds oit back and splits to the house. its holding up incredibly, ive bounced it down steps when loaded up super heavy and cant believe it isnt broken, but when it dies i'm going to get one of those garden trolleys, about £45 over here.

i bet the sack barrow is handy too, for heavy rounds.

I'm on my second one already. Both needed a rebuild of the front axle/steering assembly. They do take a beating though and keep coming through. Mine shifts about 6 cord a year from the outside stacks to my winter stock indoor storage.

I'm on my second one already. Both needed a rebuild of the front axle/steering assembly. They do take a beating though and keep coming through. Mine shifts about 6 cord a year from the outside stacks to my winter stock indoor storage.

i guess being pretty darn cheap they will have weak points. they look awesome though. unless i can scrounge up another old fashioned, large and fixed wheeled pram that is.... but modern prams arent like that unfortunately. i cant see a small, castor wheeled baby mover being up to ~4 or5x over weight loads, bouncing up and down steps and across a soft and often boggy london clay lawn!

Mine was $150 at TSC. Its the one with a 1,400lb capacity. It doesn't say it in the manual but I put black lithium grease in the hingepin for the steering. Other than wheel bearings I don't know what else there is to fail. Other than inner tubes. I hate those things.

Swung the handle around on the big wagon and set it up for tongue mount then found a short ratchet strap and pinned it. Then slung it over my shoulder. The plan is to load the wheel barrow and push it while "draggin the big wagon" behind me hands-free. However, I'm only 5'6" 150lbs so I'm about to see what my pulling capacity is. I might have to add a turbo to my butt, then get a tuner for my boots and put an 8" stack on my head. :D

Attachments

• 20171114_182603.jpg
    20171114_182603.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20171114_182649.jpg
    20171114_182649.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Been laid up for a few weeks, sure is good to be back. Broke 11 ribs and lost my "skidder". I figured it would be better to hit this beech than try and survive the ride down the mountain with no brakes and a load of oak in the back. It wasn't an accident, it was an "on purpose". It was the only choice I could see in the 8 seconds I had to make a decision. The 4' oak load shifted forward on impact and drove my seat and me into the steering wheel. I guess it was better than the 35 degree down hill ride facing me. Any way I made it.
DSCF0014 (2).JPG

Geez Cliff !
Glad you're OK , 11 ribs suck , No punctured lungs ?
I broke a couple about 3 years ago , that sucked lol but I was back in the woods the following weekend but my brain told me that was a stupid decision ;)
Take it easy till it don't hurt to cough .

dscf0014-2-jpg.612595

That's one tough sum beech , sorry about the Jeep .
Make sure to get a skidder with a standard transmission next time :)

Have only just returned to buying anything husqvarna after an absolute arsewipe of a dealer put me off many years ago. Of course, I'll never again set foot in that guys store as long as I live, but the deal on a 395xp at another dealer was pretty good, and at the time Stihl had made mincemeat of their 661 re-re-release, so I'm happy. That said, I've found some pretty cheap (like, about $800 off retail here by the time it is delivered) husky deals overseas that make me want to import a few more saws and start a small pop-up stall in the carpark of the aforementioned prick dealer's store. Just for giggles.

Essentially a bit like this lady (who was actually fired for this salutation of Trump's motorcade recently)
View attachment 611191

Ill-advised and fraught with consequences, but seemed like a good idea and rather satisfying at the time.
Just a quick one to note close to $80k has been raised for the lady I referred to in the post above. The target is $100k, so the financial hardship of losing her job for flipping the president the bird is lessened. May we live in interesting times.:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back